Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 Fan Motor Loud
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 Fan Motor Loud
I’m starting to think that Resmed has a fault in their motor design. I have had my machine for just over three years and two nights ago, during inhaling, I am getting a whirling sound coming from the filter side of the machine. I tore the machine down, cleaned the motor and other components and it is still making the whirling sound. It is making sleep a challenge. The sound transfer through the tubing and now my Wife is complaining because it is waking her up. I’m sure the motor is expensive, so I would rather just by a new machine and purchase it outright since Insurance slaps a markup on the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2020, 01:45 PM)Brianstl Wrote: I’m starting to think that Resmed has a fault in their motor design. I have had my machine for just over three years and two nights ago, during inhaling, I am getting a whirling sound coming from the filter side of the machine.

This is the sound that my machine was making.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp_xMg3s...e=youtu.be

I just picked up my fourth machine in the past three weeks.  I will let you know how it works out tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is exactly what my machine is sounding like. Sound is so loud, I put a shoe box over the machine, laid towels over the box, then a pillow, to muffle the sound. Then the sound travels through the tubing. As I type this, I’m waiting for my Insurance to approve the Dr.’s order for a replacement machine since I am out of warranty. Definitely an issue with their motor design. I wonder what a new motor cost?? It’s going to be a long weekend I suspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like a defective 'Pneumatic Block' - basically the entire blower motor assembly. "Dying Cow" sound noted on ResMed S10 units from old threads in 2016-2019:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid181262

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid318932
Post Reply Post Reply
Well at least I know what it is. Now convincing someone to pay for it is another story. I am pass the warranty period by a year. I can disassemble the unit, so I wonder how much the blower assembly is??? Probably a third of the cost of a new unit. That’s why I went with getting a new unit and we have met our deductible for the year. Thanks for sharing the thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
So further reading on another site ( thank you Pale Rider), the pneumatic block per the patent look up is basically the while blower assembly, or half of the freaking machine. So it’s a do over basically.
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up my replacement AirCurve 10 Vauto (my 4th) Friday and used it over the weekend. This machine is from a new shipment to my DME and I had no problems with a loud fan motor the three nights I have used it. Apparently my DME supplier had received a shipment with bad fan motors and I was unlucky enough to have received three of the bad units. I appreciate my DME supplier working with me and resolving my problem as I was beginning to question myself on the noise I was hearing.

I hope others who are having this problem will get their issues resolved. The "Pneumatic Block" (fan assembly) is a know problem and seems to cause issues with new ResMed AirCurve 10's every few years. I was lucky that my machine was under warranty and replaced at no cost to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great! I hope all remains quiet.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It's normal to think that after several replacements, there may not be a problem with the machine, but with the patient. This is a good lesson pointing to persistence as the answer.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.