Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Respironicss Wisp Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 5 - 15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Ramp and Other Issues
Would someone explain the ramp usage and/or purpose? Also, I read here and on other sites that someone will have a not too pleasant night and wake to take bathroom breaks. I have been told that I will sleep right through from going to sleep to waking up. Is that not true or is this treatment just to help one to breath but things such waking up during the night will still happen? Also, will I still have good nights and bad nights? Hope everyone can understand my questions. I know many of you know and understand what I am going through right now. A whole new world has happened to me.
11-28-2013 07:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

RE: Ramp and Other Issues
If the therapy pressure bothers you you can set ramp to start at a lower pressure and then build up to therapy pressure over a specified period of time - usually intended to reach therapy pressure after you are asleep and don't notice.

CPAP should keep you from waking up due to issues caused by untreated apnea, but won't make you stay asleep for unrelated things. If you drink a lot of water (or other fluids) before bed or have a weak or aging bladder, you still will likely have to go to the bathroom at night. If you have nocturia as a complication of untreated apnea (many do, I used to have to go to the bathroom several times a night before CPAP) then effective therapy should straighten that out.
11-28-2013 09:15 AM
Tez62 Offline

Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Make sure you follow good sleep hygiene as well, a cool, dark, quiet room. Going to sleep and waking at the same time each day etc. you will still have good nights and bad nights because every night is different, hopefully you will have a lot more good nights than bad
11-28-2013 03:33 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Ramp is where the pressure "ramps" up from 4 to whatever your treatment pressure is. You can set the time span for it.

But if your profile is correct, and your pressure is 5-15, then ramp for you is really kinda useless. The machine can't go any lower than 4 and your minimum is 5 so all it will do is sit there at 4, maybe 4.5. You probably will feel rather smothered at that low.

As for good nights / bad nights, no two nights are the same. There are soooo many things that go into a night's sleep. Some people put on the mask for the first time and take to it immediately. Others struggle for a long time. Some are in between, good nights and bad nights all mixed up. But the thing is, using the CPAP is a good thing no matter what. Each night you sleep with it, you're doing your body and brain a world of good.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-28-2013 05:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dream Station Ramp and Pressure Settings knowoneuno 19 359 Yesterday 07:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  One good night, now leak issues? sleepyguy99 8 349 12-03-2016 02:17 PM
Last Post: sleepyguy99
  Auto ramp: Do you use, why or why not. Rcgop 18 657 11-29-2016 08:23 AM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  [Pressure] Another New Player with Some Leak Issues Platypus 6 230 11-28-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 356 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk
Smile [How to] FIX RESMED S+ SLEEP MONITOR BLUETOOTH ISSUES srlevine1 3 323 10-31-2016 11:55 AM
Last Post: sswenson
  Blood sugar issues after treating apnea with BIPAP Gugliano 7 419 10-21-2016 01:59 PM
Last Post: southerndoc