Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Ramp and Other Issues
Ramp and Other Issues
Would someone explain the ramp usage and/or purpose? Also, I read here and on other sites that someone will have a not too pleasant night and wake to take bathroom breaks. I have been told that I will sleep right through from going to sleep to waking up. Is that not true or is this treatment just to help one to breath but things such waking up during the night will still happen? Also, will I still have good nights and bad nights? Hope everyone can understand my questions. I know many of you know and understand what I am going through right now. A whole new world has happened to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Ramp and Other Issues
If the therapy pressure bothers you you can set ramp to start at a lower pressure and then build up to therapy pressure over a specified period of time - usually intended to reach therapy pressure after you are asleep and don't notice.

CPAP should keep you from waking up due to issues caused by untreated apnea, but won't make you stay asleep for unrelated things. If you drink a lot of water (or other fluids) before bed or have a weak or aging bladder, you still will likely have to go to the bathroom at night. If you have nocturia as a complication of untreated apnea (many do, I used to have to go to the bathroom several times a night before CPAP) then effective therapy should straighten that out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure you follow good sleep hygiene as well, a cool, dark, quiet room. Going to sleep and waking at the same time each day etc. you will still have good nights and bad nights because every night is different, hopefully you will have a lot more good nights than bad
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp is where the pressure "ramps" up from 4 to whatever your treatment pressure is. You can set the time span for it.

But if your profile is correct, and your pressure is 5-15, then ramp for you is really kinda useless. The machine can't go any lower than 4 and your minimum is 5 so all it will do is sit there at 4, maybe 4.5. You probably will feel rather smothered at that low.

As for good nights / bad nights, no two nights are the same. There are soooo many things that go into a night's sleep. Some people put on the mask for the first time and take to it immediately. Others struggle for a long time. Some are in between, good nights and bad nights all mixed up. But the thing is, using the CPAP is a good thing no matter what. Each night you sleep with it, you're doing your body and brain a world of good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 205 1 hour ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 217 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.