Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Removing and reinserting SD Card
RE: Removing and reinserting SD Card
(09-18-2014, 08:32 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Perhaps you're living in a fools paradise. If you have all the detailed graph info saved to your puter hard drive, you won't know if it's gone from the SD or not. You would find that out if you deleted it from your hard drive or used some other person's puter to check the card. I have tried this and tested it all ways from Sunday and it does just as I said. I'll give you that YMMV but we have the same ResMed machines and I don't think it'll be any difference for you.

Are you telling me that you can write a file to the SD card or let your Win8 system write the SVI folder to your card and then delete it with that batch file and then insert it in the S9 and not have it refuse to use it without erasing it and rewriting the limited data it has stored? Try that..and prove me wrong.

You may be running that batch file every day and having no problem but that's because it's not really doing anything since it isn't finding any file or folder to delete since you probably lock your SD card before inserting it in the reader slot of your puter. Isn't that right?

Surfie, dear Surfie.... I know what I'm talking about. I began using/programming computers when you were but a pup.

Windows 8.1 writes a directory called \System Volume Information and file called System Volume Information\IndexerVolumeGuid each and every time you insert a sdcard into the computer unless it's been locked. If it's locked, then the computer can't do that of course.

But if you delete those two files, then safely remove the sdcard from the computer you will be golden. Perhaps you're not doing a "safe exit" from the usb drive? If not the delete could be sitting in memory and not yet effected on the sdcard. I don't know.

What I do know is if you will delete the two files I mentioned you will be able to use the card in the Resmed machine.

...... oh, and when I say "delete," I mean delete the file, and rmdir the directory of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get a moment, stick your SD card in your Win8 computer without locking it and test whether or not your batch file will clean it up and allow the S9 box to accept it. I couldn't get it to do that.

And another thing, your batch file could be better since it could benefit from using the proper optional switches of /s and /q. All you really need is:

@echo off
CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\ResMed\ResScan3"
ResScan.exe
RD "E:\System Volume Information" /s /q

I'm getting ready to press my "Bless your heart" button if you persist. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I just tried it.

I don't have Win8, this is on a Vista machine. S9 AutoSet.

Remove SD card, put it into PC.

Copy some files to the SD card. Eject safely.

S9 says "Invalid card, reformat" (forgot the exact wording) answer "no".

Put card into PC, remove files, eject safely.

S9 says "reading card" like it normally does. Then appears to work correctly.

I tried a few variations, including 50 MB or so of files into the root directory, but in all cases, I was able to erase the rogue files and the S9 accepts the files.

It's possible that there are some changes to the card that can't be reversed. There are a lot of strange things like file allocation tables and directory files. It might be that sometimes it's reversible, sometimes it isn't.

However, at least some "S9 corrupt" changes to the SD card can be reversed.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also just tried the same process. My S9 insisted on erasing the card and all my detailed data is gone but the simple stuff has been written back. No big loss since it's on my HD.

Perhaps my S9 has a different firmware version??? There has to be some explanation why I'm being picked on. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2014, 09:20 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: I also just tried the same process. My S9 insisted on erasing the card and all my detailed data is gone but the simple stuff has been written back. No big loss since it's on my HD.

Perhaps my S9 has a different firmware version??? There has to be some explanation why I'm being picked on. Sad

What did you write to the card? What OS? It occurs to me that I only copied files, not created directories.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Surfie, you may be doing something to inadvertently screw around with the system volume header on the sdcard.

For our purposes with Resmed, Rescan, Sleepyhead, all we need to know is if the person is using Windows 8.1 (no other windows creates the issues) then poke the sdcard into the machine, and before you unpoke it, erase the offending file and remove the offending directory.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried both. I created a small text file and immediately erased it. Then removed the SD card (safely of course, just to be sure) and the S9 refused it.

I allowed the S9 to clean it then pulled it out, stuck it in my Win7 puter card slot and created an empty directory on it. Then I created a small text file inside that directory. Then I deleted all that using proper commands and verified that it was gone. I even verified that there were no hidden files on the card that I had created. It still wouldn't get accepted by the S9. Go figure.

I'm not technologically challenged and this isn't a complex process. I just figured ResMed had employed some sort of protection for the data to accomplish their risk management goals. Medical device failures can cost manufacturers big settlement bucks so why wouldn't they make it difficult to game the system?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, don't know what to say other than the problem does not occur natively except for when using Windows 8.1. It doesn't even happen with 8.0. So if a user is using W7, or Vista, or Unix, or Windows 3.11 they should be fine. With 8.1, they need to delete the files with the script I've provided, or set the lock on the SDCard before putting it in the computer. That's the best method of course and works until the day comes that they forget to do that.

But no matter what it's not an earth shaking situation. If the Resmed thinks it wants to erase the card, ok, let it do that. Within a short period of time the card will be fully repopulated anyhow.

I hit the "erase" thing one night not long ago, because I had used the card in my computer as normal, but before I took it out and put it back into the Resmed we had a power failure. When the machine came back up it wrote the goofy files to the card and I didn't think to fix it before I turned the machine on in bed. By then I was not going to fire my computer back up so I just let the Resmed erase the card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, it's no big deal, just another one of the ways these one-eyed monsters can fool with our minds. At least this thread may help some other poor devil with the same issue and realize it can be fixed...or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gentlemen... pistols at 10 paces at dawn?
[Image: Hamilton-burr-duel.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 671 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Waking up/removing mask often - triggers in the data? Amherrypt 1 949 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SD card backup on PC and new SD card snorin2 0 946 12-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,140 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam] S.Thompson 6 1,429 08-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Nailer
  weird smell after removing mask? upat3am 18 12,415 04-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Morhaugn
  ResMed S9 SD Card "Invalid SD Card, erase card data?" MAPnea 41 51,009 04-29-2021, 03:42 AM
Last Post: Scobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.