Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Removing mask during sleep
Removing mask during sleep
Recently I have gotten the bad habit of removing my mask during sleep. 

It could be helpful with some sort of alarm from the CPAP when the mask is disabled for more than eg. 30 minutes during nights. I don’t think the Dreamstation have such a feature, but let me know if you have other ideas on how to mitigate this problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Removing mask during sleep
This is a common problem at the start of treatment, I have known users to do this for months after they start treatment.  What you have to do is get your brain used to the idea that you have a mask on your face.  You have to put it back on the instant you find you have taken it off. 
You can get used to it but sitting with it on, in the evening, first with just the mask and no tubing or machine attached.  After you get used to this try attaching the machine. 
As for your question about an alarm on the Dreamstation, I am not sure, I know some machines had alarms for large leaks, but not sure about the Dreamstation.  I found the alarm on my old machine a very annoying alarm as it would be forever going off when I moved around. 
However, if there is one it will go off when you took the mask off.
It should be in the manual if there is one. 
I'll have a quick look.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a quick look through a clinitians manual, a very long one that even told you how to rest and replace everything.  It was a  pdf filf of some 200 pages and I was looking at it on a phone, it was jumping about a bit and it was very small print.   However, the only alarms I saw for the machine were on the display.   I have never seen so comprehensive manual before. 
There might still be an alarm and I missed it, but it looked like all alarms were display ones. 

Maybe someone with a Dreamstation can confirm this. 

To get yourself used to a mask, sit while watching TV or reading.  No hose connected then after a while sit with the machine on. 
Worth a try, nothing to loose. 

Good luck.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Give it some time.  You will get used to the mask.  You are doing well.
Post Reply Post Reply
The way I had to beat this mask removal bad habit was to mask up again as soon as I realized that I had removed it. I also used some wake time to get adjusted to the mask while reading, etc. when I was an ASV machine noob.

BTW It takes over a month typically to "create" a habit. Keep at it, and even if you have a setback, don't beat yourself up about it. Pick yourself up, dust off, and get back into the saddle.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't start pulling off my mask in my sleep until I had my cpap over a year. The primary cause for me appeared to having my chin close to my chest. That can really cut your breathing. So, practice arranging your pillow so that your head doesn't sink towards your chest and/or get a soft cervical collar to train your head to stop doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
This happened to me, only as an isolated occurrence, last night. It surprised me because it was so unusual for me; I'd been assuming it was only likely to happen in the first few weeks, which for me were last spring. My only clue about a cause is that I did have more dreaming activity than usual, some kind of action-adventure (Frantic Eye Movement, heh), and woke up early because of that.

Chin-tucking as a cause is a possibility, I guess. Maybe I should start wearing a collar.

Just from curiosity I did a search for AB discussion threads about it (using an external search engine because "mask off" is one relevant phrase in page titles and it includes a naughty three-letter word), and found a couple dozen of 'em over the years.

I don't have questions about it. I just wanted to mention it as an outlying data point: it could happen to anyone, at any time, even when you thought you were completely comfortable with all of this stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 400 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,360 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.