Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Requesting Help with OSCAR Analysis
RE: Requesting Help with OSCAR Analysis
IMO that looks better on OSCAR, and it sounds like for the most part, you're feeling comfortable and gaining rest. Except for the temporary collar aspect. I don't see any area to edit for pressures.

Here's something on OSCAR you can try if you'd like to track leaks a bit better. You can add a red Large Leak line on the leak graph and see immediately how much you go over the threshold. With OSCAR open to you Daily chart page, right click on Leak chart, click on CPAP overlay, and then on the Large Leak check box, finally click anywhere other than this popup. Now you should get a red line across the Leak graph if you go over the large leak rate.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would completely ignore, at least for now, the last 15 minutes of your sleep and just assume it is SWJ (Sleep Wake Junk). That will have little to no impact on your night.
Try taping your lips. I taped on my lips themselves getting into the crack as much as possible, then, initially, I'd open my mouth just to show I could (safety). I too have, and had something of a beard. Ride these settings and get used to the collar since it seems to help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2020, 11:26 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: IMO that looks better on OSCAR, and it sounds like for the most part, you're feeling comfortable and gaining rest. Except for the temporary collar aspect. I don't see any area to edit for pressures.

Here's something on OSCAR you can try if you'd like to track leaks a bit better. You can add a red Large Leak line on the leak graph and see immediately how much you go over the threshold. With OSCAR open to you Daily chart page, right click on Leak chart, click on CPAP overlay, and then on the Large Leak check box, finally click anywhere other than this popup. Now you should get a red line across the Leak graph if you go over the large leak rate.

Awesome thanks for the pro tip! I’ll play around with that view when I have some time.

(04-11-2020, 01:37 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would completely ignore, at least for now, the last 15 minutes of your sleep and just assume it is SWJ (Sleep Wake Junk).  That will have little to no impact on your night.  
Try taping your lips.  I taped on my lips themselves getting into the crack as much as possible, then, initially, I'd open my mouth just to show I could (safety).  I too have, and had something of a beard.  Ride these settings and get used to the collar since it seems to help you.

Thank you for the input! I was considering just using regular tape but was concerned it might chap/damage my lips by the time I wake up, definitely willing to give it a try tonight since the shirt-strap option seems to be ineffective for longer than a few hours. There’s also the beard being in the way with the tape so I’m in a bit of a dilemma.

Hopefully as far the settings go it’s dialled in enough to at least give me some consistently positive results. Will continue posting my OSCAR results nightly, once again I appreciate your and everyone else’s feedback so far!
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR results from last night below. Changes from the night prior:

- Settings same
- Wore a thinner make-due chin strap from lighter cotton material (old shirt) and didn't tighten as much
- Cooled down my bedroom significantly as it was noticeably warm last night

I don't feel more or less rested, but still the usual "not enough sleep/restless" feeling. I remember being conscious at least a few times where I tried to go back down but kept tossing and turning. Not sure if any of the above changes could've triggered this or if it's just the usual CPAP compliance and still being only under 2 weeks into treatment. Another thing to mention is my Apple Watch S4 said my HR fell before 40bpm for 10min starting around 01:55am. This happened before CPAP and never really figured out why, sometimes due to working out in the day and exhausting my heart and body, other times without any logical triggers.

It's not as bad as the night I had 12.x AHI or a few others that felt worse, so I'll stick with the settings/sleep hygiene unless anyone has other advice. Thanks as always!

Post Reply Post Reply
Here your CA is much more prevalent than previous so I'll suggest a further drop in EPR to 0.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2020, 11:55 AM)bonjour Wrote: Here your CA is much more prevalent than previous so I'll suggest a further drop in EPR to 0.

Noted thank you! I’ll give that a try tonight and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Results for last night attached below.

Changes from prior night:
- Removed EPR entirely (switched "off");
- Continued with the make-due chin strap (shirt) but added a new arrival of the Somnifix mouth tape (gotta say, all this extra fluff just to get some barely decent sleep with a thick beard isn't easy mentally or physically);
- Changed room's AC settings from 17C to 20C as it was too cold on the night prior

Overall, I didn't wake up with as destructive of a headache as per usual but had difficulty getting up, minor "head warmth" (one of the biggest symptoms of sleep deprivation I've been experiencing for a long time), and a bit of head/eye pain around my forehead.

The graphs seem a little less chaotic and this is the lowest AHI I've had since starting therapy which means the strap+mouth tape combo seems to be doing its magic. Will stick with this for a while unless anyone has input. Thanks as always to those who have been consistently responding, truly appreciated!

Post Reply Post Reply
These are very good numbers for anyone. I'd like to raise EPR to decrease your flow limitations (that is a small concern right now), but for now that is a bad idea. In a month we can try EPR=1 for a few days and see.

Keep the status quo for a week then we can try removing, let's say, the chin strap to see if we can.

Definitely keep an eye out for changes, especially with your CA events. One night does not make a trend. Central Apnea often varies widely, I call it consistently inconsistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on making this progress! Once things are moving in the right direction, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you experienced continued improvement.

Aside from the sense of way too much stuff on your face, how did the Somnifix work for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2020, 12:23 PM)bonjour Wrote: These are very good numbers for anyone.  I'd like to raise EPR to decrease your flow limitations (that is a small concern right now), but for now that is a bad idea.  In a month we can try EPR=1 for a few days and see.

Keep the status quo for a week then we can try removing, let's say, the chin strap to see if we can.  

Definitely keep an eye out for changes, especially with your CA events.  One night does not make a trend.  Central Apnea often varies widely, I call it consistently inconsistent.

Duly noted thank you for the input my friend! By the way, is it okay to continue posting daily or to avoid forum spam maybe post once every few nights unless things are getting chaotic? As far as the good numbers and not feeling agonizingly tired, I agree about the consistently inconsistent path of CA and for now I'm being cautiously optimistic!

(04-13-2020, 12:51 PM)Dormeo Wrote: Congratulations on making this progress!  Once things are moving in the right direction, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you experienced continued improvement.

Aside from the sense of way too much stuff on your face, how did the Somnifix work for you?

Thank you for the encouragement my friend! As for the Somnifix, they stuck all night which is pretty much all I care about. Other factors is the price to quantity ratio which isn't bad at all (at least from the Canadian Amazon site), and quality and ease of use are all +1. As bonjour stated, I'm definitely looking forward to getting rid of at least the strap since containing my thick/long-ish beard is a bit of a headache.

Keeping my lips shut with these bad boys is definitely encouraging so far and I am comfortable recommending these strips to anyone in my posiiton!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 326 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,434 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 148 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 376 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  erqq - CPAP Analysis erqq 16 873 01-29-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clementine39 - Therapy Analysis Clementine39 2 257 01-26-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.