Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Requesting Help with OSCAR Analysis
RE: Requesting Help with OSCAR Analysis
I've re-uploaded the OSCAR report for April 6 as the original was cut off at 04:20hrs for some reason...

Post Reply Post Reply
Report from last night with pressure at 6min/8max and EPR 1. I also stuck with sleeping on my side (preferred position) than my back. Still felt somewhat restless but 100% much better than most nights (on therapy for 8 nights so far) so this I assume is a good thing. Any follow-up input would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Unless otherwise stated as counterproductive, I think you may benefit from bumping the 8 Max to 9 to see if it gives better looking results. This may give a bit of headroom to prevent what I'm seeing on the pressure chart as it looks to be pegged at the top occasionally.

Again, it's only an observation/suggestion. If for any reason others with better setting skills know why not to do so, I would defer in that case.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the large nasal pillows, would you mind giving those a try? I have routinely found the P10 works better and flows more air with a larger size cushion that most users think they need. If it doesn't seal, go back to the medium, but give the large a fair shot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to trying the large nasal pillows, you might try to notice whether you are leaking air from your mouth during the night. Some of your leak interludes look as though they might be mouth leaks. (The ones I have in mind are plateaus with a kind of ragged-looking top.)

If you think you might have some mouth leaks, of course the FFM would address them. But there are other things you could try to reduce them, if they are indeed part of the picture.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2020, 09:25 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Unless otherwise stated as counterproductive, I think you may benefit from bumping the 8 Max to 9 to see if it gives better looking results. This may give a bit of headroom to prevent what I'm seeing on the pressure chart as it looks to be pegged at the top occasionally.

Again, it's only an observation/suggestion. If for any reason others with better setting skills know why not to do so, I would defer in that case.
Agreed with the logic of having the headroom, thanks very much for your input!

(04-09-2020, 09:58 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you have the large nasal pillows, would you mind giving those a try?  I have routinely found the P10 works better and flows more air with a larger size cushion that most users think they need.  If it doesn't seal, go back to the medium, but give the large a fair shot.

Unfortunately I have only the one medium size and waiting on the medium FFM (F20) to test it out, if only ordering things to test out wasn’t a long process!

(04-09-2020, 12:10 PM)Dormeo Wrote: In addition to trying the large nasal pillows, you might try to notice whether you are leaking air from your mouth during the night.  Some of your leak interludes look as though they might be mouth leaks.  (The ones I have in mind are plateaus with a kind of ragged-looking top.)

If you think you might have some mouth leaks, of course the FFM would address them.  But there are other things you could try to reduce them, if they are indeed part of the picture.

Can definitely confirm that I’ve been having mouth leaks, I’ve woken up a few times each night (although it hasn’t felt as bad as the first few nights) with air blowing out of my mouth. This is the main reason I ordered the FFM to test out. Would prefer to adapt to only nose breathing, so might also try the chin strap technique or just see how the pillows hold up for another week or so of consistent use.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, if you want to keep trying with a pillow mask, here are some ideas about reducing or eliminating mouth leaks. Many people find that chin straps are actually counterproductive, because they tend to pull the jaw back, which makes it harder to keep the mouth closed.

1. Tongue position. Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night. For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.

2. Collar. If your jaw tends to drop down during the night, pulling your mouth open, then a soft cervical collar, or a firmer snore collar, can be a big boon. More here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

3. Tape. Some people (including me) rely on tape to keep the lips from opening. (I can't rely entirely on the tongue thing.) When the lips open, all too often that eventually leads to a noisy and disruptive mouth leak. To see whether tape would be feasible for you, I recommend that you invest in a box of Somnifix strips. They are very gentle on the skin but hold very well. Be sure to curl your lips inward per instructions before placing the strip. If these work for you, then you can experiment with lower-cost options.

Note about tape: Some people avoid it, for two reasons. (1) If you suddenly need to vomit in the night, the tape could lead to your aspirating some vomitus, which would be bad. However, you can sacrifice one strip to see for yourself how well you can pull you mouth open in an emergency using only your jaw muscles. (2) If there is a power failure and your machine goes off while you're sleeping, you won't be able to do the natural thing and open your mouth to breathe. As for that, out of an abundance of caution, I've put a circuit alarm in a plug on the same circuit as my machine. It will wake me up immediately if I lose power to the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
How I handle pressure setting edits for myself:

If at any time a pressure setting makes events become worse or if comfort/feel becomes worse, I revert back to whatever it was set to prior to the edit. I then form a new edit plan and carry it out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2020, 07:01 PM)Dormeo Wrote: So, if you want to keep trying with a pillow mask, here are some ideas about reducing or eliminating mouth leaks.  Many people find that chin straps are actually counterproductive, because they tend to pull the jaw back, which makes it harder to keep the mouth closed.

1.  Tongue position.  Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth.  Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate.  Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction.  You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose.  Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night.  For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.

2.  Collar.  If your jaw tends to drop down during the night, pulling your mouth open, then a soft cervical collar, or a firmer snore collar, can be a big boon.  More here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

3.  Tape.  Some people (including me) rely on tape to keep the lips from opening.  (I can't rely entirely on the tongue thing.) When the lips open, all too often that eventually leads to a noisy and disruptive mouth leak.  To see whether tape would be feasible for you, I recommend that you invest in a box of Somnifix strips.  They are very gentle on the skin but hold very well.  Be sure to curl your lips inward per instructions before placing the strip.  If these work for you, then you can experiment with lower-cost options.  

Note about tape:  Some people avoid it, for two reasons.  (1)  If you suddenly need to vomit in the night, the tape could lead to your aspirating some vomitus, which would be bad.  However, you can sacrifice one strip to see for yourself how well you can pull you mouth open in an emergency using only your jaw muscles.  (2) If there is a power failure and your machine goes off while you're sleeping, you won't be able to do the natural thing and open your mouth to breathe.  As for that, out of an abundance of caution, I've put a circuit alarm in a plug on the same circuit as my machine.  It will wake me up immediately if I lose power to the machine.
Awesome thanks so much for the advice! I was thinking of the taping method and besides the few concerns about potential vomits, it's mainly my thick beard that might be a bit of a headache. I think I'll try the tongue training technique as I've read it on multiple posts and have been trying it on and off but not consistently, will focus on this for the next week and see what I can cook up. Thanks again really appreciate it!

(04-09-2020, 07:06 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: How I handle pressure setting edits for myself:

If at any time a pressure setting makes events become worse or if comfort/feel becomes worse, I revert back to whatever it was set to prior to the edit. I then form a new edit plan and carry it out.

Sounds easy and fair enough, thank you very much!
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's results, also the worst so far. Not sure if the data confirms it but I definitely experienced many more mouth leaks than usual which is weird because I've slept in the same 2 positions (left side and back) and didn't do much else with the mask fit. I assume it has to do with the change in settings. New settings for these results were: EPR 3, min 6, max 12. I decided to set the EPR to 3 as it made sense to keep the exhalation as easier as possible compared to the inhalation. I'd appreciate it if anyone has new recommendations based on last night's data. Thanks as always!

Edit: still waiting on my FFM which hopefully will arrive if not today then early next week.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 321 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,399 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 144 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 367 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  erqq - CPAP Analysis erqq 16 868 01-29-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clementine39 - Therapy Analysis Clementine39 2 252 01-26-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.