Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Requesting Help with OSCAR Analysis
RE: Requesting Help with OSCAR Analysis
My apologies I scrolled down when I took that screenshot. Correct view re-attached below:

(04-15-2020, 09:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Omarium, your chart yesterday had the right information, today  not so much. Please review how to Organize your OSCAR chart.

You reduced EPR from 1 to zero base on some CA events. That strategy is working, but you will need to subjectively judge whether you sleep better with EPR and some CA events, or with the current situation. How you feel counts.

Noted thanks for the input!

(04-15-2020, 09:53 AM)Dormeo Wrote: You shouldn't worry at all about seeing those centrals.  Truly.  By the numbers you are doing very well.  I'll be curious whether the hose hanger helps you.  But your best friend in all of this may be time, as you grow more accustomed to the night-time sensations of treatment.  You'll then have fewer and fewer of these worse nights and more and more that leave you feeling rested.

One reminder: when you post your next chart, be sure to format it the way you did with the chart for 4/13.

Noted thanks for the input! I'm all for things taking time but it's quite frustrating dealing with the symptoms (such as headaches, nausea, and the mountain of other sleep deprivation-induced decline in cognitive functions) the entire day after a night's [attempted] sleep.

The biggest motivator for me and I'm sure many others who have gone through this experience is likely the knowledge of how bad sleep has been in general, for years, so suffering a few weeks to months of at least trying a potential solution doesn't seem that bad after all. Will keep everyone posted after tonight's hose-hanger attempt.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been following your thread. Nice to see the improvement, numbers-wise. I'd hang in there for a few weeks at least to see if the symptoms get better. I also suffer from cognitive impairment and mood fluctuations. I'm switching from F30 to P10 (I noticed you wanted to do the opposite) and also planning to use Somniflex tape. I'm curious why you decided to wear a chin strap and the tape? Isn't one or the other sufficient?

EDIT: has anyone tried using an in-nose nasal dilator with a nasal pillow mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2020, 06:52 PM)kuacc912 Wrote: I've been following your thread. Nice to see the improvement, numbers-wise. I'd hang in there for a few weeks at least to see if the symptoms get better. I also suffer from cognitive impairment and mood fluctuations. I'm switching from F30 to P10 (I noticed you wanted to do the opposite) and also planning to use Somniflex tape. I'm curious why you decided to wear a chin strap and the tape? Isn't one or the other sufficient?

EDIT: has anyone tried using an in-nose nasal dilator with a nasal pillow mask?

Hey thanks for following along and your input! The reason I've been using both the strap + tape is because only one seems to be insufficient for me and mainly because I have a thick beard and the make-due strap I'm using tends to stretch out over time with the cotton material. Even with both, because the Somni tape tends to loosen throughout the night from the corners of my lips, I still get slight mouth leakage. I'm looking at other chin strap options but if it is something sturdy then it will cause a bit of a choke under my chin against my neck. The beard is certainly making this whole thing much harder. Another option is to double up on the taping, maybe on in-between the lips and another on top. As for switching from P10, I'm actually still enjoying mine right now but the only quirk is the irritation I get in and around the nostrils, have tried actively cleaning (soap+water) the pillows every morning after use then letting air-dry for the night, as well as exfoliating my face every morning and night + using unscented skin cream throughout the day. I also wanted a FFM to use for when I get a cold or nasal congestion is bad, but the one I received yesterday (P20) seems a tad smaller than I need (got the medium) and after doing a mask fit test it seems I have to really strap it in which feels suffocating so I'm not sure if this is normal to get a good seal or it's just the mask size.

I've attached below OSCAR results for the past 2 nights. Since my last post, the only change in settings I made was to go back to EPR 1. For the night of the 15th, it was extremely bad sleep mainly because my outer nostrils were quite inflamed so I had to take the mask off after approx. 6h due to the pain waking me up, then tried whatever sleep I could steal for the remaining and painful 2h before waking up. For last night, the inflammation calmed down as I've been actively using a skin cream + exfoliant in the morning and at night.

Any new insight into the graphs would be greatly appreciated. I would also love any recommendations for FFMs, as noted above, the new P20 I received is either uncomfortable for a good seal against my face design or I need to go one size up. Thanks ya'll!

April 15...

April 16...

Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify, I think you mean F20 with an F like Foxtrot. The ResMed F20 full face mask is the one I've been using. It can have silicone AirFit cushions or AirTouch memory foam. With a beard, you probably will get best results with Pillows or Nasal masks.

You mentioned a chin strap options. Google search Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap. It's built on a cap that you put on with 2 sets of velcro straps to hold the mouth closed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2020, 01:09 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Just to clarify, I think you mean F20 with an F like Foxtrot. The ResMed F20 full face mask is the one I've been using. It can have silicone AirFit cushions or AirTouch memory foam. With a beard, you probably will get best results with Pillows or Nasal masks.

You mentioned a chin strap options. Google search Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap. It's built on a cap that you put on with 2 sets of velcro straps to hold the mouth closed.

My apologies I did mean the F20, thank you for the recommendations I’ll definitely check out the strap!
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR results for the past 3 nights attached below. The first 2 nights weren't too bad but last night (19th) I had a hard time staying asleep and woke up with a major headache and slight nausea (usual symptoms of heavily disrupted sleep). No changes in settings/equipment setup for all 3.

No changes since my last post, have been consistently using the SomniFix tape, the make-due chin strap and have been using the hose hanger I bought from CPAP Machines Canada which definitely helps a bit but can't say enough to change the game per-se.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!

April 17...

April 18...

April 19...

Post Reply Post Reply
The charts for the 17th and 18th seem to prove you can get good numbers while using the CPAP. The 19th is possibly just a bad night that no setting changes will help. We all get these sometimes I'd suppose. So how do you feel after these? (especially the first two good ones, the 19th would make any of us feel bad for it)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2020, 01:56 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: The charts for the 17th and 18th seem to prove you can get good numbers while using the CPAP. The 19th is possibly just a bad night that no setting changes will help. We all get these sometimes I'd suppose. So how do you feel after these? (especially the first two good ones, the 19th would make any of us feel bad for it)

The 17/18 days felt actually not too bad, I think the 18th felt a bit better in that late afternoon I thought to myself how I wasn’t as tired/sleepy as usual, the fact that I noticed that means something was working. The 19th I definitely felt crappy most of the day, I did go to sleep 1h later than usual and was a bit stressed from my shift so it’s not too far-fetched that my sleep was disrupted entirely because of that; although it makes me wonder how sleep hygiene affects the AHI, I would think the airway would remain clear but my brain would refuse to stay asleep.

Last night (20th) was one of the bad nights again. Haven’t transferred to OSCAR yet but myAir shows 1.6 AHI. I decided to get rid of the chin strap and try the SomniFix tape alone but still had a few minor leaks throughout the night from the corners of my lips because my beard hairs get in the way. Seems like I need to take the chin strap + tape combo seriously to avoid this. Woke up multiple times tossing and turning and I’ve also noticed a habit of not being able to wrist on my sides and I think it’s because the nasal pillow mask strap tends to get squeezed a bit potentially waking me up from the discomfort/leakage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back in for a weekly update! I have 7 nights total since my last update but due to limitations I'll add the most-recent 3 nights below. Overall, it's going "okay" which is better than the garbage I've been living pre-APAP, but I'm still hoping for that follow-up in-lab sleep study hopefully before 5 years from now as I'm fairly certain there's more to my problem than simple OSA.

I've tweaked a few settings here and there since my last update, mainly the EPR, but eventually settled down with 0 EPR and maintained same min to max pressure settings. Do you think at this point (considering my average pressure is usually 8-9) that I should stick to a consistent setting or is it better for auto mode in case sleeping position is affected?

Some ongoing issues still:

- Skin irritation around the nostrils, usually evolving into redness, itching and pimple breakouts. I've been using 1% hydrocortisone cream + a natural moisturizer cream, both throughout the day and usually hours apart) to combat this, it's not as bad as the first week, but still a chronic issue so could be my natural oil build-up from my skin or some kind of allergy to silicone. The fact that I recover to a decent point tells me that if it is an allergy then it's not that bad;

- Mouth leaks seem to be an aggressive problem for me: I've been using SomniFix AND (recently) threw in 3M tape to close off the corners (hurts a bit to take off when I wake up as it's the most sensitive part of my lips), but I have to do this to avoid my beard getting in the way of slowly loosening the tape. I also am still using a make-due chin strap (still shopping around for a proper one but not sure which is the best to go with, especially with my thick/long beard, saw a few suggestions about getting something with an added full-head cap to keep things in place). Even with all of this action, believe it or not, I wake up sometimes with air slightly blowing out of my mouth, not much but enough to wake me up it seems (you might notice some of this in the charts). I've noticed that I can't stick to one position (my preferred is left side), and end up on my back quite a bit, so assuming the increase OSA on my back in addition to drooling throughout the night is causing the mouth leakage;

- Connected to my last point, the chin strap keeps moving around which is likely adding to the mouth leakage issue.

For now, my top priority is to find a proper chin strap + setup and logically that should help with the mouth leakage. As always, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

*Note: you might notice gaps in some of the charts as I think 1 or 2 of the days I took a nap with it as I had a very short sleeping window the night prior due to work.

*Note 2: I received the Resmed AirFit F20 mask but it was too small and felt suffocating when I tried to tighten it, so returning that and getting an AirTouch F20 with the foam liner + will be using the padacheek liner with it. This is meant as a back-up for if I get sick/too nasally congested.

April 25...

April 26...

April 27...

Post Reply Post Reply
By the numbers, you're doing quite good. The fact that you are beginning to feel positive benefits reinforce that you're on the right track.

On APAP/auto or CPAP/straight pressure: the last 3 charts were APAP, giving you the good looking numbers. If it's doing well by how you feel, I'd maintain that. I'd not rock the boat by changing downward in capability to CPAP.

Leaks are still somewhat of an issue, but as they aren't showing as Large Leaks, it's acceptable as is. I'd keep trying to address it, but if you absolutely can't, I don't think it's a serious issue in your case. Reasonable comfort, many hours use, and feeling better for it trumps some leaks like you have here.

Congrats on the charts and that you're benefiting some. Keep at it. Monitor progress as you see fit and I'd "script" you no changes unless something goes worse than now. Best to ya and check in at times. Just because you're not actively setting machines up, you can chat here if you like. So don't take this as a dismissal, you may impart some bit of info to help someone else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,399 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 144 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Screenshot analysis yankees123 10 367 01-31-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  erqq - CPAP Analysis erqq 16 867 01-29-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Clementine39 - Therapy Analysis Clementine39 2 252 01-26-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.