Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank
RE: ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank
Lack of Sleep......

Neither my Respironics branded filters or the DME supplied 'Sunset' brand filters look like that. There are no thick fibers like you have. The coarse filter is a tight fiber with no loose strands and even scraping it with a fingernail it stays intact. The fine pollen filter is almost like a paper filter with very, very fine tight fiber and if something got loose from the coarse filter, the fine filter would catch it. I'm inclined to think its an issue with the filters you have. Is there a brand name on the filter packets that was sent with the DS2 or was it preinstalled by the DME?

Google "sunset dreamstation 2 filters" and you should be able to find a supplier.
Post Reply Post Reply
StratCat48.....Thanks again for your response.  The first set of filters installed with each machine were Phillips Respironics and were preinstalled.  I replaced them with filters that I bought from my DME supplier.  Interestingly, those filters were "Sunset", same as yours.  I'm determined to figure this out but I just don't know at this point. I'm using the 22mm tubing because it seemed like the 15mm tubing was restricting air flow too much.  It was a noticeable difference for me when I switched back to the 22mm tubing that I have always used.  I'm just trying to think of possible variables.  What pressures do you normally run at?
Post Reply Post Reply
Lack of Sleep.....

Current pressure settings are 8 and 16, so significantly less than where you are set. I did have 15mm heated hose on my old DS1, but now using the 12mm heated hose on the DS2. The difference in hose size to me is negligible.

Just glanced through the DS2 manual about filters. It mentions aligning the 'arrows' when mating the ultra- fine filter to the pollen filter. Not sure if this suggests that the ultra-fine filter needs to be mounted so the air flow is in a certain direction through it. It can be placed either way. The side with the arrows of the Sunset filter does seem tighter and less fibrous, so perhaps the orientation matters.  I haven't gotten any Sunset filters from my DME in a long while and I hope the quality hasn't changed.

On occasion I've used compressed air (80 psi) to blow the dust out of the coarse pollen filter before washing it and it seemed to hold together OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
StratCat48..... Interesting.  I do align the arrows on the filters so I know that's ok.  Your occasional cleaning with compressed air at 80 psi kind of puts a wrinkle in my pressure theory.  The pictures I posted were of the Respironics filters and were zoomed in.  The fraying fibers aren't as noticeable with the naked eye.  My Sunset filters have some fraying but not nearly as bad as the Respironics filters.  Today I noticed not only some fibers in the water but also some smaller white debris.  This is also concerning now that I know about the fragile silicone foam they are now using in the DS2.  Nick at CPAP Reviews has a lot of good YouTube videos on CPAP but check this video out where he takes apart the DS2 and shows how cheap the new foam is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskto...vVMhc&t=4s
Post Reply Post Reply
If you still have an older filter for your previous machine you could try one of those.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 164 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,111 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 421 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 285 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 163 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 216 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,949 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.