Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank
Question 
ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank
I've recently read that this is an issue with SoClean degrading the foam seal installed in the inner workings of CPAP units over time, but according to ResMed, they use a different type of foam than Philips does and it's much more durable. However, I'm starting to see small flakes in my humidifier chamber of my ResMed A 10 and believe this is what's going on. I want to take it apart and change the seal but I don't know where to find them. I don't see them listed in any of the places I would normally look.
Anyone know where I can pick some up?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank
Does this mean you use SoClean? With the Philips Respironics foamgate and the fact that ResMed voids the warranty with SoClean usage, it's not a great idea. Also, with the fact that you still need to clean your PAP parts anyway, SoClean only causes issues more than helps.

Even so, what kind of flakes are you getting in the humidifier tub? What's the quality of your water? Any mineral residue left in the tub? How frequently are you cleaning your humidifier tub?

Sorry I didn't answer your parts search questions. I'm sure someone else may have some info on that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response, SarcasticDave.
Yes, I've used SoClean 2 for years. I get that it voids the warranty even though it's out of warranty now anyway. So many electronics have that voided warranty stuff, like if I try to change my cell phone battery and other common sense things consumers should be able to control without having to void a warranty to accomplish.
When I first got my SoClean 2, it was recommended by not only my sleep doc, but also the clinician who performed the sleep study as well as the medical supply rep where I picked up my ResMed. I researched as best I could and read many a comment both pro and con on this site as well as others, then made an informed choice to use it. It wasn't until later in the game ResMed came out with a statement about voiding the warranty if you use it.
As for cleaning, I clean my nasal mask daily, use the SoClean every 3rd day and manually clean the rest every 2 weeks. The particles in the water chamber is a new development. I happened upon a video (the Board won't let me put up the YouTube link because I haven't posted 4 times yet) and put 2+2 together. It looks like my issue exactly. The fix looks doable and I'd like to attempt it, but I need the foam part to replace the degraded one.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been seeing the same flecks with distilled water in Airsense 11 water tank after overnight use.
Can't blame SoClean either..........Have no idea why this continues to happen?
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed does use a different type of foam, but that shouldn't be interpreted as, it is therefore compatible with Ozone.

Ozone is a very reactive gas that is not compatible with a lot of material. You should also be considering that there are other materials in your device that are also incompatible with Ozone, but may not have shown signs of breakdown yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every night, no matter what type of distilled water I use and how clean it is before use, I end up having tons of little particles in the water tank floating around in whatever water is left in my airsense 11 tank. What the hell is this? Never happened with my old resmed. Makes me nervous. What are these particles? How are they getting in the tank??? Is this happening to any other airsense 11 users?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using an external humidifier?

External humidifiers, especially ultrasonic ones, create a white dust, essentially minerals from the water.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I am using the airsense 11 with the tank/humidifier that came with it.

I had the airsense 8 for like ten years, never had particles in it after a night's use.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I'm asking if there is a non-CPAP humidifier in your home, not asking about CPAP humidificaton.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are the filters for these Resmed's fine enough to filter out pollen or just larger particulates? My own machine, a Dreamstation 2 'black', has been covered on its exterior with a dusting of pollen lately with the windows being open for warmer weather. It has an ultra-fine filter that needs changing more often this time of year.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,374 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.