Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem
ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem
I have been using a CPAP machine for about many years. Most of my recent CPAP machines have had an auto on and auto off feature that is very convenient. My newest machine is the ResMed Air Sense 10 Autoset unit and i really like it with one exception. The "auto off" feature will not function while the Smart Start feature is activated. My CPAP provider has been contacted and they are not able to help me.

After some experiments, I have found that the auto off feature will only operate IF the EFR is disabled. I really like the EFR feature as it reduces mask fit problems.

Has anyone had this problem with the Air Sense 10 Autoset unit and found a solution to the auto off issue when the EFR is activated?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem
I seem to recall that the auto shut-off doesn't work with some mask types. I can't recall which, however. I use a nasal mask (Wisp), so I tried the auto shut-off after my afternoon nap. I do use the EPR, set to 3. It took many seconds (30?), but it did shut off. My usual practice is to use the auto start, but use the top button to shut off manually when I wake up. That's because it always looks like a very large leak on the leak graph, which messes up the scale for the rest of the night. I'm fussy that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Buddie43,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the AirSense 10 since August.
The auto stop just stopped working. No other changes to the machine. The vendor supplier says it was never designed to work like that. Still waiting for a Resmed callback. Has been great until now. Very handy feature for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2016, 11:23 PM)Pblos Wrote: I have the AirSense 10 since August.
The auto stop just stopped working. No other changes to the machine. The vendor supplier says it was never designed to work like that. Still waiting for a Resmed callback. Has been great until now. Very handy feature for me.

If you perform a "Google" search on the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset machine, here is a statement taken directly from the Resmed web site: The SmartStart™ function allows you to begin therapy as soon as you breathe into your mask. When you remove your mask, it stops automatically after a few seconds.

My service provider also told me that auto stop feature was not available on this machine. I sent the above statement to my provider and they did not respond???

If anyone has a contact for USA ResMed, I would really appreciate them sharing it with me. I did attempt to call the contact number on the ResMed web link and talked to a person in Asia. I could not understand the person and finally ended the conversation by just saying "thank you"!

I think ResMed has a problem with this new CPAP machine and they may not be aware of it!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't believe smart stop works with nasal pillows. Mine certainly doesn't. I simply hit the off button.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting.. I have the same machine (got in July 2015), have used both a nasal mask (Airfit N10) and a nasal pillow (Airfit P10), have EPR maxed out to 3, and Auto On and Off work fine for me. It might have something to do with the particular mask you're using.

You might want to update your profile to include more specific information, such as mask brand and model. This will help everyone provide you with advice tailored to your therapy setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
My therapist told me that the AutoStart should always work on any type of mask but the AutoOff is not working all the time depending on the mask used.

For Example: the Auto Off worked when I used the Airfit F10 (ResMed) but not when I used the Amara view (Respironics) ...

But like others said I use the AutoStart but I press the OFF button to shut it down Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
The auto off is a tricky thing to do. You don't want the unit shutting down because of a large leak and it seems that some masks look enough like a large leak that the machine does not shut down for quite a while.

It might be interesting as a test to disconnect the mask from the hose and see if that will get it to shut down. If it does then you know the problem is the type of mask your using just looks like a large leak when you take it off.

The unit has no way of knowing when you take your mask off except by what the air flow and pressure do. Or if you push the button.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the many responses to my CPAP problem. As recommended, I have updated my profile with needed information Thanks

Just a comment, upon awakening this AM, I decided to remove the hose from my nasal mask while the mask was still on my face. To my amazement, the CPAP machine turned itself off after about 5 seconds. I have performed this activity many times in the past only to realize that the machine would not turn off Huh

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Resmed Aircurve 11 V-Auto URGENT HELP Keesh23 10 248 04-06-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,034 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,894 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,798 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 373 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 399 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 581 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.