Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem
RE: ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem
I am thinking that this feature is something that marketing came up with and the engineers did the best they could, but didn't quite get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2016, 04:58 PM)PoolQ Wrote: I am thinking that this feature is something that marketing came up with and the engineers did the best they could, but didn't quite get there.

I don't know about that, but I found the autostart/stop annoying even when it worked. I just push the button to start, and again when I wake up. What's so hard about that that it needs to be automated?
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
For Buddie43:
If anyone has a contact for USA ResMed, I would really appreciate them sharing it with me. I did attempt to call the contact number on the ResMed web link and talked to a person in Asia. I could not understand the person and finally ended the conversation by just saying "thank you"!

I think ResMed has a problem with this new CPAP machine and they may not be aware of it!!!
[/quote]
To make a long story short, I had a registration issue with their myAir site and went around and around to no avail with tech support. I decided to Google their executive board and sent an email to this guy and the next day I had a very competent tech support person who worked with me to resolve the problem. Try that, and without posting the guy's name in here, this is the guy who helped me.

Fxxxx.Lxxxxxxxx@resmed.com
Chief Information Officer
For what it's worth to folks, I've had great luck with a few firms by Googleing the executive board and sending an email to whatever mucky muck looked like s/he could help resolve my problem. They usually forward it to the appropriate folks; funny how people listen to the honchos.
I hope this helps. Sorry, I'm not too savy with this system.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2016, 05:29 PM)Buddie43 Wrote: I have been using a CPAP machine for about many years. Most of my recent CPAP machines have had an auto on and auto off feature that is very convenient. My newest machine is the ResMed Air Sense 10 Autoset unit and i really like it with one exception. The "auto off" feature will not function while the Smart Start feature is activated. My CPAP provider has been contacted and they are not able to help me.

After some experiments, I have found that the auto off feature will only operate IF the EFR is disabled. I really like the EFR feature as it reduces mask fit problems.

Has anyone had this problem with the Air Sense 10 Autoset unit and found a solution to the auto off issue when the EFR is activated?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
The auto off feature on my Airsense 10 is not working either. I use the climate line hose and P10 nasal pillows with my machine.

I toyed with the machine quite a bit last night and found that if EPR is turned off, the auto off works great. If EPR is on and set to 3 it doesn't work. 2 and 1 work intermittently, with 1 working better than 2.

So I think the auto off doesn't work (or works well) based on the EPR setting. I prefer an EPR of 3, so I guess I'll just continue to turn the machine off manually when I take the mask off. But it's irritating that I can't use an advertised feature of the machine, and at the very least I think ResMed should have written in the clinician's manual that auto off only consistently works with EPR turn off.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's correct, you need to show the machine that it's not just a leak but you are wanting it to shut off. I use a feather weight flexible hose to connect from my mask to the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I found that the heated tube isn't flexible and light enough for me. That being said, I separate the hose from the mask if I'm using one with a quick disconnect (I switch off between 4 different masks) the pouring out of air so quickly shuts off the machine with 5 seconds, simply taking off the mask will not trigger the auto off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Per the Airfit P10 manual:

Notes:
 This mask is not compatible for use with ResMed
AutoSet CS™ 2 and VPAP™ Adapt SV devices.
 SmartStart may not operate effectively when using this mask
with some CPAP or bilevel devices that have this feature.
 If you experience nasal dryness or irritation, using a humidifier is
recommended.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Ihave used the air sense 10 with amara mask for 6 months and the auto off ALWAYS worked...until 3 nights ago...the unit stayed on all day and scorched the heating element of the water tank because it ran outof water...ironically, 2 days before that, I installed the new tank they sent. Judging from people's comments on this forum, it sounds like possibly bad filters, seal, etc could cause this. However, it is appalling to me that certain providers are telling people that "they werent designed to shut off automatically". In my case, I will try going back to the old tank and see if it fixes it...will update as appropriate
Post Reply Post Reply
addendum to my last post yesterday...I replaced the filter on the side of the unit...it didnt look dirty at all, but I replaced it anyway and the auto-off works just as it always had...no other changes needed!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2016, 05:29 PM)Buddie43 Wrote: I have been using a CPAP machine for about many years.   Most of my recent CPAP machines have had an auto on and auto off feature that is very convenient.  My newest machine is the ResMed Air Sense 10 Autoset unit and i really like it with one exception.   The "auto off" feature will not function while the Smart Start feature is activated.  My CPAP provider has been contacted and they are not able to help me.

After some experiments, I have found that the auto off feature will only operate IF the EFR is disabled.   I really like the EFR feature as it reduces mask fit problems.

Has anyone had this problem with the Air Sense 10 Autoset unit and found a solution to the auto off issue when the EFR is activated?

Any comments would be appreciated.

I have had issues with it not shutting off AND it not staying off lately. Had the machine for nearly a year, you mention the feature not being compatable with some masks, do you know which ones? I have cFlex which I believe is same as EPR?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,456 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 328 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 347 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 389 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.