Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F PH Care
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

ResMed Air Sense 10 for her
I am brand new to this forum and have only been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea a month ago. I am using the ResMed Air Sense 10 for her machine. I am still learning how to use this machine and find that I am waking up after only 2-3 hours of use. When I wake up, my machine is off such as no air can be felt within the mask. Could somebody tell me why and how to fix this? Second, I find the mask extremely uncomfortable and I wake up with headaches. Is this normal? Thank you !

Susanne
Michigan
10-16-2015 02:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: ResMed Air Sense 10 for her
Welcome

Has the machine actually shut down after 2-3 hours of use? Like it would if you pressed the start/stop button?
It may be that auto start is set to "ON." It's possible that the machine "thinks" you removed the mask; and has done an auto shutdown.
It may think this if your leak rate is too high. There's also a slight possibility of a defective machine.

So, what to do. If on, turn off autostart. Second, make sure your leak rate isn't too high. I suggest you download the software (see link to sleepyhead at top of page.) Read your SD card with sleepyhead and check for high leak just before "shutdown."

The headaches are likley because the therapy isn't effective until you fix the other problems.

Please, if you can, find out what pressure you are set to; and what type of FFM you are using; and update your profile.

Some people find FFMs uncomfortable. Finding the best mask is the key to tolerating CPAP therapy. You may do better with another type of mask.
(Nasal or nasal pillow perhaps.)

Mongo
California

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-16-2015 04:31 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Hi Susanne and welcome to Apnea Board
First of all, important if you could please identify your machine, you say above "for Her" model and profile shows "CPAP"model, also put CPAP pressure in profile
[Image: ResMed-AirSense-10.png]
[should say "AutoSet, AutoSet for Her, Elite or CPAP"]
AutoSet for Her is white with floral prints, the rest are black

Here is some AirSense 10 setup pictures and how to get the clinical manual for your CPAP machine, recommended to read it, so you can pass the coming exam http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ine-resmed

You're not alone, when starting out, you'll encounter all sorts issues but the issues do get resolved with practice and each day gaining more experience. There is a lot of stuff to comprehend but ... a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Headaches, usually goes away, once things get dialled in, e.g. mask comfort, leak under control, humidity level sweet spot, AHI below 5, etc ...

As for "the machine is off", maybe you have "SmartStart" ON ... the machine start automatically when you breathe into the mask and stop automatically when mask is removed. You can set to "OFF" and press start/stop button to turn on/off the machine

Some hair pins might do the trick keeps the mask in place
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2015 04:54 PM by zonk.)
10-16-2015 04:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Nothing to add yet except Welcome

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
10-16-2015 06:52 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi SMD38972,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
10-16-2015 06:57 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 16 3,292 11-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Cleaning Climate-control tube on ResMed Air Sense 10 GL Bishop 18 11,361 11-07-2016 03:31 PM
Last Post: Jonesie
Thumbsup [Equipment] Res Med Air sense 10 Autoset With HumidAir humidifier chamber and climate line hose Jmo80w 3 516 08-04-2016 04:08 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
Surprised Day 4 ResMed Air Sense 10 Mary Anna 12 583 07-13-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: Mary Anna
Question Help with making sense of the data mikenz 41 3,130 05-29-2016 03:50 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Air sense S10 Autoset from US to Australia Ronni.p 14 1,338 04-27-2016 05:00 AM
Last Post: Ronni.p
  Air sense 10 Elite vs Autoset. FrankNichols 15 1,496 04-21-2016 08:32 PM
Last Post: OpalRose