Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto issues
Angry 
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto issues
Hello everyone:

I am a new member here, and I have a problem with my new ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto..

History: After a lot of grief (years and numerous attempts to get CPAP to work), It was decided that standard CPAP therapy would not work for me (fighting the machine to exhale), so we began the battle to get a BiLevel machine.. This finally happened a week ago.

The machine that I have been provided with is a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto. The machine was setup according to the sleep apnea doctor's settings (10 IPAP and 6 EPAP- subject to change, and it looks like 10 is not sufficient). Every night, I have filled the humidifier, and put the machine on, only to wake up fighting the machine's pressure.

Last night when this happened, I started investigating.... Upon reflection, I realized that had never seen the machine drop down the the epap level.

Today I had my 1 week "check-up" with the sleep apnea people, and I expressed my concern to the "tech". The tech finally printed out the various ResMed print outs, and you could clearly see that the only pressures being recorded are for the IPAP. So, my Automatic "BiLevel" (BIPAP) machine is only functioning as a Automatic CPAP (Which is what we fought to replace). During all of this, the tech looked at me like a deer in my headlights, he obviously has no idea what I am talking about, and could not be bothered to find someone with more expertise to help sort this..

I just went into the "clinical settings" on the machine, and just looked around, and there are pressure settings in there for the IPAP and for the EPAP, and the machine is set to "Auto", but the machine is clearly not using the EPAP setting at all, only auto-regulating the IPAP pressures.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with this machine? Is there a setting that is being missed somehow???

Frustrated in Washington State.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto issues
um.. can you install say SleepyHead or the ResScan software and collect the data and display it?

You'll need an SDcard reader to accomplish the import of the data into either of these software packages..

That way you can see all kinds of things that may quickly help diag what's going on..

I have the same machine, I'll look and see what my stuff shows then maybe you can compare

BTW...

What mode is your machine in?

CPAP
S
Vauto

?

I'm in "S" and it works the way I kind of expect it to.. but I'm not sure yet

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2016, 08:49 PM)warmbear Wrote: I just went into the "clinical settings" on the machine, and just looked around, and there are pressure settings in there for the IPAP and for the EPAP, and the machine is set to "Auto", but the machine is clearly not using the EPAP setting at all, only auto-regulating the IPAP pressures.

In Auto mode, there should be 3 pressures to set: minEPAP, maxIPAP, and PS. The machine maintains the relationship IPAP - EPAP = PS.
Keeping that relationship, IPAP and EPAP are free to move within the constraints of minEPAP and maxIPAP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Icyura10 .. Thanks. I will have to get some software installed, and see what we can find out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi warmbear,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck in figuring out your machine problem.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
justMongo - Thank you for the response... I know for a fact that the PS on the machine is presently set to 0.

I am completely unimpressed by the service(?) I am getting from my insurance approved sleep apnea supplier. It is a pretty sad state of affairs when I can look at a ResMed readout and figure out what is wrong, but the so-called "tech" cannot fathom this.

I am going to try setting the PS to 4 and see if it works tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, you might consider going to this these links:

CPAP Clinician Setup Manuals - Change your own CPAP Pressure

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...P-Pressure

ResScan 5.6 Software Download Link [for ResMed machines only]

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...hines-only

and requesting the appropriate manuals / software as they may assist you trying to sort out what's going on...
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
If PS=0 then IPAP will equal EPAP; and range from minEPAP to maxIPAP.
It is behaving essentially like an Autoset with EPR=0.

If you set PS to 4 and if minEPAP=6 and maxIPAP=10, then it has no to room to work. It will behave like it's set to S mode. (fixed bilevel).
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The PS being set to 0 is probably the reason that you seem to be fighting to breathe out. The factory default setting for PS is 4 and that is what I use. I would leave the min EPAP at 6 and raise the max IPAP to 14. With the PS set to 4 that will give the machine room to adjust the pressures for you. If you leave the min EPAP set to 6 and the max IPAP set to 10 with a PS of 4 the machine will not be able to adjust the pressures at all. It would be the same as operating it in S mode with the EPAP set to 6 and the IPAP set to 10. You would have 6 and 10 all night long regardless of what is going on with your sleep.

Let us know how you do.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Video 
PaytonA - Thanks.. I will get this figured out, if it kills me... I don't want the machine to emulate "S" (Fixed BiPAP). I fought to get an auto BiLevel machine, and would truly like it to operate in the auto mode correctly... Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 223 Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 55 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 314 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 580 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,517 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.