Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto issues
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto issues
Hi - I will post some data after I have a few nights readings (That's a promise). ... Yes, it has been sort of a wild ride for the past 10 days here.. I have posted things as they have happened, you could not make this up if you tried. (lol) ... The absurd nonsense leading up to getting the machine was just as odd... It took almost 3 months in total, with two sleep studies, and a bunch of arguing with the insurance company.

The new pressure titration study has been scheduled for next week. (I am so excited.... NOT -- I have an adjustable bed here at home, I usually sleep with the head of the bed in semi Fowler's position, and with a very flat pillow to assist keeping my airway open, and the doctor's sleep center has regular flat beds with thick pillows -- I do not do well lying flat.... )...

One item of note: Last night was the first night of actual BiPAP. This morning my wife noticed that I seemed more awake, and "brighter".. I noticed that I had more energy (which I have not had in a very long time).. This makes me hopeful that I do not have to spend the rest of my life in a energyless haze.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2016, 09:17 PM)warmbear Wrote: This makes me hopeful that I do not have to spend the rest of my life in a energyless haze.

Congratulations on a good night! I know the treatment makes a huge difference.

You can tell me its none of my business, but do you fully trust your doctor? I only ask because I went through two bona-fide quacks before I found an excellent doctor. For example, I spent cash on my first sleep study and never slept. When they called the doctor to try to get a sleeping pill prescribed, he didn't answer the phone. He then wanted me to spend thousands of dollars more on a second study!

What information does he have that causes him to suspect a hypoxic respiratory drive out of the blue? Do you suffer from COPD? Did you exhibit crazy high central apneas? You could probably have your new machine and two new back-up machines for the cost of all the sleep studies you are being put through!

Anyway, it sounds like you are very close to having everything all sorted out. Best of luck. And,

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi FFOGHORN- To be perfectly blunt, no, I don't particularly trust my doctor.

However, I don't really have a choice here (rural location, and insurance coverage issues, only doctor available on my plan), so I have to make the best of things. The doctor is also against automatic machines.... I had to insist on it to get my machine. (I had to insist with him for my wife's machine as well a couple of years ago, and she has been doing very well with the Auto BiPAP since, and no longer fighting the machine, as she did with her previous CPAP machine.)

Yes, I do have COPD (I have had COPD for many years, I am not O2 dependent as of yet), but my present sleep doc knew all of that before the first of two sleep studies he performed in the past 5 months, so why he suddenly brought it up now, I'll never know... Both of my current sleep studies showed events in the forties, but I did not get specifics from him (I did try to, BUT.....). I am somewhat deaf (tinnitus), and he is of eastern indian descent, and I have a great deal of trouble understanding what he says, his speech is very clipped.

I took a nap today, and tried to use the machine.. I just could not seem to get adjusted to it today... I did not have a good nap, and my episodes were up as well. I will be glad when he has his pressure titration study, and I can get this machine set to auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I should add this to complete the picture for those of you who clearly think that I am losing my grip because of all the changes that have been made in a short time....

When we got my wife's Auto Bipap a few years ago, our DME had a satellite office inside our sleep doctor's office, and they provided all the PAP equipment for the doctor's patients. There was a big falling out between the DME and the doctor shortly after my wife got her machine, and the DME closed their satellite in the doctor's office.

Now, fast forward to my current situation: The doctor himself now provides the PAP equipment for his patients direct, however, he will not provide any automatic machines (he has some sort of issue with auto machines).

Since I insisted on an automatic BiPAP machine because of my previous experience with CPAP, and because of my insurance, the doctor was forced to send my prescription to the DME he is feuding with for me to get my machine.

The whole lot of them (The sleep doctor and the DME) have behaved most unprofessionally, with myself in the middle, and the passive-aggressive in-fighting has been appalling, with both parties dragging their feet because they don't want contact with the other party. I will be very glad when this is all over. My insurance goes to purchase after 90 days, and I will be well pleased when it does.
Post Reply Post Reply
I called my DME for technical assistance and this is what I got!

https://youtu.be/AmD_8cBqhW0
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2016, 11:15 PM)warmbear Wrote: I guess I should add this to complete the picture for those of you who clearly think that I am losing my grip because of all the changes that have been made in a short time....

When we got my wife's Auto Bipap a few years ago, our DME had a satellite office inside our sleep doctor's office, and they provided all the PAP equipment for the doctor's patients. There was a big falling out between the DME and the doctor shortly after my wife got her machine, and the DME closed their satellite in the doctor's office.

Now, fast forward to my current situation: The doctor himself now provides the PAP equipment for his patients direct, however, he will not provide any automatic machines (he has some sort of issue with auto machines).

Since I insisted on an automatic BiPAP machine because of my previous experience with CPAP, and because of my insurance, the doctor was forced to send my prescription to the DME he is feuding with for me to get my machine.

The whole lot of them (The sleep doctor and the DME) have behaved most unprofessionally, with myself in the middle, and the passive-aggressive in-fighting has been appalling, with both parties dragging their feet because they don't want contact with the other party. I will be very glad when this is all over. My insurance goes to purchase after 90 days, and I will be well pleased when it does.

I am so sorry about this protracted nightmare you seem to be in the middle of handling. I know it will sort itself out soon. The payoff in comfort and data capability is worth the struggle of securing an automatic machine.

At least the hypoxic respiratory drive theory makes some sense with your COPD.

The DME/Doctor/Insurance triad is increasingly mysterious and infuriating. I decided to get my newest machine from a reputable, on-line supplier. It only cost me about $200 more than if I had used my insurance with a DME - for the same exact equipment! But now I can buy supplies and equipment, as needed, without having to involve my doctor or a DME. That's worth $200 to me.

All the best! You're nearly there!!!

Grouphug3
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2016, 05:58 PM)icyura10 Wrote: I called my DME for technical assistance and this is what I got!

https://youtu.be/AmD_8cBqhW0

Awesome!

Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 49 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.