Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
I have just recently been diagnosed with OSA and for the last month I have been using a rental F&P ICON CPAP. The unit worked fine and was fairly quiet with the exception of a slight whine when exhaling.

When switching from rental to purchase I chose to buy a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite due to its data reporting capabilities and reportedly exceptionally quiet operation (my wife has very sensitive hearing).

After getting the unit home it was super quiet between breaths however every time I inhaled it created a very loud sucking noise at the air inlet (where the filter is located).I never experienced this noise with the F&P and was very surprised given that the AirSense is rated as being quieter than the F&P (27dBA vs 30dBA). My pressure is only 6.0.

I checked that the humidifier tray was properly seated, turned off Ramp, Pressure Relief and Smart Start and verified that my mask type is set to Full Face (I use a F&P Simplus Full Face) but it did not reduce the noise level. I took the unit right back and they pulled out another brand new AirSense 10 Elite and it made the exact same noise. We then tried a brand new ResMed S9 Elite and it also made the same loud sucking noise. We then tried a brand new F&P ICON+ Premo and it made almost no noise when inhaling with the exception of a slight whine. Even a strong, forceful inhalation would not produce any noise even remotely as loud as the noise from the ResMeds.

I was really set on the ResMed units due to their reputation but I am very confused by the amount of noise they were producing and there is no way my wife would be able to sleep through the noise from the ResMed. If there is some solution to the noise these units produce I would love to give them another chance. For now I am researching other units.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
I also use the simplus FF mask and at the start I noticed the same effect. Rather like Darth Vader on the exhale. I'm pretty sure it's the mask, not the machine. The noise is there even when I'm wearing the mask alone, unattached to the machine. Attaching it to the hose may add an echo to the effect.

Anyway I don't personally find it bothersome and don't notice it much now, although it's still there. But I sleep alone.

I suggest you try another Full Face mask and see if that helps.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2015, 11:36 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I also use the simplus FF mask and at the start I noticed the same effect. Rather like Darth Vader on the exhale. I'm pretty sure it's the mask, not the machine. The noise is there even when I'm wearing the mask alone, unattached to the machine. Attaching it to the hose may add an echo to the effect.

Anyway I don't personally find it bothersome and don't notice it much now, although it's still there. But I sleep alone.

The F&P mask does make a bit of noise but the loud noise I'm hearing is definitely coming from air inlet on the machine. If I just hold the hose (no mask) up to my mouth and breath in and out I get the same noise.

I found some other threads on the subject and it is the experience of some people that ResMed is having some manufacturing issues with the S9 and A10 units that they are not admitting to. You could buy two identical units from ResMed and one will be whisper quiet while the other will sound like a jet engine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAPs for close to 20 years and moved to my 4th machine a week ago, the AirSense 10. My wife has complained all along about how loud the others were, because some excess air would always be escaping. Between auto-adjustment and perhaps a better mask (mirage FX rather than mirage) it is usually quiet as a church mouse. One night however it was remarkably louder, and it turned out the connection from the hose to the mask was bad.

I realize this is unrelated to noise by the filter, but I thought it worth commenting because of the theme of noisy CPAPs. If anyone else has experienced this complaint, upgrade!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2015, 10:21 PM)sanger Wrote: (my wife has very sensitive hearing).

All women have more sensitive hearing. Remember how your mother could always hear you when you were sneaking out of the house.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 07:26 AM)sanger Wrote:
(02-13-2015, 11:36 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: I also use the simplus FF mask and at the start I noticed the same effect. Rather like Darth Vader on the exhale. I'm pretty sure it's the mask, not the machine. The noise is there even when I'm wearing the mask alone, unattached to the machine. Attaching it to the hose may add an echo to the effect.

The F&P mask does make a bit of noise but the loud noise I'm hearing is definitely coming from air inlet on the machine. If I just hold the hose (no mask) up to my mouth and breath in and out I get the same noise.

I found some other threads on the subject and it is the experience of some people that ResMed is having some manufacturing issues with the S9 and A10 units that they are not admitting to. You could buy two identical units from ResMed and one will be whisper quiet while the other will sound like a jet engine.

I've also heard the same thing form others on the board. It's too bad your 2 units have turned out that way , I think if the DME is getting tired of opening them up I'd look for another brand too.
I'm feeling lucky the unit I have is quiet and no burning tank, It's so quiet the air rushing out of the furnace duct work is a lot louder, I do get a little Darth Vader noise from the mask but that seems to get quieter as the pressure increases.
Good Luck hope you find a quiet unit.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sanger,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you find a machine that is quiet enough so that you can get good therapy and your wife can sleep while your machine is running.
Good luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2015, 09:55 AM)Frisky070802 Wrote: I've been on CPAPs for close to 20 years and moved to my 4th machine a week ago, the AirSense 10. My wife has complained all along about how loud the others were, because some excess air would always be escaping. Between auto-adjustment and perhaps a better mask (mirage FX rather than mirage) it is usually quiet as a church mouse. One night however it was remarkably louder, and it turned out the connection from the hose to the mask was bad.

I realize this is unrelated to noise by the filter, but I thought it worth commenting because of the theme of noisy CPAPs. If anyone else has experienced this complaint, upgrade!
Hi Frisky070802,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I also notice the sound on my Resmed 10 and have taken to wearing earplugs to sleep. This seems to be working well for me. After hearing how some people find the unit extremely quiet, my theory is that it isn't really the machine that is causing the noise but the F&P Simplus mask that I'm using. The mask design does not provide a lot of air in the mask chamber. When you breathe in and out, you deplete the air in the chamber a lot quicker than other masks. This forces air through the air intake and hose rapidly to replenish that lost volume. I don't have any other masks to test my theory out but I believe a different mask may be the solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm happy with the ICON from a noise point of view however before I make a decision I want to be sure that it would be adequate for my needs. I have mixed Obstructive and Central Apnea and lots of Flow Limitation. Would the ICON Premo or Auto be adequate or are the ResMed units more advanced in this regard.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,709 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,254 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 84 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,758 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.