Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

jagged inhale--machine malfunction?
jagged inhale--machine malfunction?
Hi, thanks so much for this board! I have my settings dialed in and have gotten used to wearing cpap and as the dust has settled, I'm becoming increasingly aware of this putt-putt-putt jagged feeling of each inhale start-stopping four or five times an inhale and...that maybe it's the machine and not me?  I tried to do it on purpose and couldn't start-stop fast enough to duplicate it.  It feels like the air coming in just start-stops rapidly or like that jagged inhale one can have when crying hard, you know what I mean? Except tiny and through my nose.  I am attaching an oscar shot that shows it on the wave form.  So, question: is the machine malfunctioning? Is this some setting I can fix? Is it me after all? I can kind of make it stop, or lessen, if I take a strong, forceful breath, but it comes back. It's distracting and keeps me awake.
Thank you!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: jagged inhale--machine malfunction?
Those are flow limited breaths which means your airway is slightly closed and you could use more pressure - was this during REM? Can you post the whole night view?
Post Reply Post Reply
How come your machine is set for full face when you're using pillows?

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, here are two full nights.  No, the close up I posted is not REM. Also, the jagged thing happens if I am awake or asleep.  Thank you for your responses!

Forgot to mention, I have been trying different masks, f20, f30, dreamware pillows.  I am careful to change the setting to match that night's mask.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is our wiki on cardiogenic oscillations https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cillations This is a fairly common thing we see on the flow rate, especially during low-flow at the end of exhale.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have experienced the chugging sort of sensation from an AirSense 11, I think the algorithm gets a bit stuck because a restart of the machine does fix it

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, oh that's interesting! Okay, so if I understand correctly, there should be a heartbeat for each 'chug', a thing easily tested tonight with my fingers on my pulse while it's doing the start-stop-start thing.  Will report back. I'm a bit dubious because I have never experienced any heart rate-related breathe-chugging without the machine, but maybe the machine amplifies the sensation. Also I am a runner with a resting pulse in the 40s, I'm pretty sure this start-stop thing is faster than that, but we shall see, maybe my sense of its frequency is distorted.  Anyway, thank you very much!

And Millstone, thank you, it never hurts to try power cycling the electronics, IT 101, haha. I'll do that, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can actually count the pulses on the graph, and if it matches heart rate (50-60 bpm or about 1 beats per second) then it is very likely the source. Take a look at the image in this article (click to full-size) and note how the EKG matches up to oscillation artifacts on the airflow channel. https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/c...hannel.php Oscar picks up these oscillations, especially when charting flow-rate from Resmed devices which provide a 25 Hz flow channel vs the Philips 5-Hz data rate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,172 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 537 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82
  Are my breaths normal? Long pauses, jagged lines. Nathan Graves 5 977 07-23-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: car54
  Air Sense humidifier heater malfunction johanlon 26 13,595 04-28-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: 17WRX
  Woke up with pain on every inhale tactics 5 719 04-21-2023, 02:44 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  Jolting awake with sharp inhale, a solution McPhearson99 0 568 04-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: McPhearson99
  [Equipment] Machine Blowing Too Hard On Inhale—DreamStation 1 fortywinks 0 527 03-28-2023, 08:48 AM
Last Post: fortywinks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.