Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
(02-13-2015, 10:21 PM)sanger Wrote: I have just recently been diagnosed with OSA and for the last month I have been using a rental F&P ICON CPAP. The unit worked fine and was fairly quiet with the exception of a slight whine when exhaling.

When switching from rental to purchase I chose to buy a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite due to its data reporting capabilities and reportedly exceptionally quiet operation (my wife has very sensitive hearing).

After getting the unit home it was super quiet between breaths however every time I inhaled it created a very loud sucking noise at the air inlet (where the filter is located).I never experienced this noise with the F&P and was very surprised given that the AirSense is rated as being quieter than the F&P (27dBA vs 30dBA). My pressure is only 6.0.

I checked that the humidifier tray was properly seated, turned off Ramp, Pressure Relief and Smart Start and verified that my mask type is set to Full Face (I use a F&P Simplus Full Face) but it did not reduce the noise level. I took the unit right back and they pulled out another brand new AirSense 10 Elite and it made the exact same noise. We then tried a brand new ResMed S9 Elite and it also made the same loud sucking noise. We then tried a brand new F&P ICON+ Premo and it made almost no noise when inhaling with the exception of a slight whine. Even a strong, forceful inhalation would not produce any noise even remotely as loud as the noise from the ResMeds.

I was really set on the ResMed units due to their reputation but I am very confused by the amount of noise they were producing and there is no way my wife would be able to sleep through the noise from the ResMed. If there is some solution to the noise these units produce I would love to give them another chance. For now I am researching other units.

This is my 2nd year of Resmed products so I'm not quite sure on a few things. But, I have the A10 Autoset. I an not sure of the differences between that an the Elite, but I'll do some digging around here so that I know for my own account. Assuming the Autset and Elite are largely similar, mine is extremely quiet and the only sound you can slightly hear is from exhaling (before 100% ramp up). Once my machine has reached full ramp, I can hardly even hear that at all. Someone else mentioned the mask. I elected to have the nasal pillows (Airfit P10) for comfort, and less leak. I'm not sure if that is a factor in why my unit is super quiet or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used S9 loaner for a month, everything is ok. I then purchased a Airsense 10, boy oh boy, I could not sleep all night long. The Airsense 10 suppose to be as quiet as the s9 at the very least. From my experience, the main unit produces noise every time I breath in, it is coming from the air vent on the left hand side of the machine. I have to use ear plug the second night and finally exchanged for a s9 on the third day.

Resmed, this is fundamental.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 02:30 AM)Johnsodd Wrote:
(02-13-2015, 10:21 PM)sanger Wrote: I have just recently been diagnosed with OSA and for the last month I have been using a rental F&P ICON CPAP. The unit worked fine and was fairly quiet with the exception of a slight whine when exhaling.

When switching from rental to purchase I chose to buy a ResMed AirSense 10 Elite due to its data reporting capabilities and reportedly exceptionally quiet operation (my wife has very sensitive hearing).

After getting the unit home it was super quiet between breaths however every time I inhaled it created a very loud sucking noise at the air inlet (where the filter is located).I never experienced this noise with the F&P and was very surprised given that the AirSense is rated as being quieter than the F&P (27dBA vs 30dBA). My pressure is only 6.0.

I checked that the humidifier tray was properly seated, turned off Ramp, Pressure Relief and Smart Start and verified that my mask type is set to Full Face (I use a F&P Simplus Full Face) but it did not reduce the noise level. I took the unit right back and they pulled out another brand new AirSense 10 Elite and it made the exact same noise. We then tried a brand new ResMed S9 Elite and it also made the same loud sucking noise. We then tried a brand new F&P ICON+ Premo and it made almost no noise when inhaling with the exception of a slight whine. Even a strong, forceful inhalation would not produce any noise even remotely as loud as the noise from the ResMeds.

I was really set on the ResMed units due to their reputation but I am very confused by the amount of noise they were producing and there is no way my wife would be able to sleep through the noise from the ResMed. If there is some solution to the noise these units produce I would love to give them another chance. For now I am researching other units.

This is my 2nd year of Resmed products so I'm not quite sure on a few things. But, I have the A10 Autoset. I an not sure of the differences between that an the Elite, but I'll do some digging around here so that I know for my own account. Assuming the Autset and Elite are largely similar, mine is extremely quiet and the only sound you can slightly hear is from exhaling (before 100% ramp up). Once my machine has reached full ramp, I can hardly even hear that at all. Someone else mentioned the mask. I elected to have the nasal pillows (Airfit P10) for comfort, and less leak. I'm not sure if that is a factor in why my unit is super quiet or not.
Hi Johnsodd,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-25-2015, 10:05 AM)bffhmc Wrote: I used S9 loaner for a month, everything is ok. I then purchased a Airsense 10, boy oh boy, I could not sleep all night long. The Airsense 10 suppose to be as quiet as the s9 at the very least. From my experience, the main unit produces noise every time I breath in, it is coming from the air vent on the left hand side of the machine. I have to use ear plug the second night and finally exchanged for a s9 on the third day.

Resmed, this is fundamental.
Hi bffhmc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good you found a quiet machine. I can hardly hear my S9AutoSet.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I picked up a nasal mask and it made no difference to the noise. It's got to be the machine design or somebody at the manufacturing site decided to leave out the muffler to save on cost.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2015, 11:14 AM)Kladeios Wrote: I picked up a nasal mask and it made no difference to the noise. It's got to be the machine design or somebody at the manufacturing site decided to leave out the muffler to save on cost.

I picked up a brand new AirSense 10 yesterday and used it for the first time last night. The noise from this machine was waking me up all night. The noise is coming from the air vent where the filter is. It's kind of a wheezing/whirring noise. It also seemed like it was out of sync with my breathing at times. EPR is set to 2 and it felt like the pressure was changing part way through inhaling and exhaling. Eventually, I just shut the machine off.

The S9 I was using before was so quiet that I would sometimes think it wasn't even doing anything. If the A10 is supposed to be quieter, then I think I've got a lemon.

I'll be calling the DME first thing on Monday morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
My A10 Elite seems to be louder than when I bought it. The unit makes a noise similar to a dry bearing.

I may take it in for exchange.
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed my A10 started to get louder recently. Like for a week now. I've only had it a month. It doesn't bother me since, when I do sleep, you can drive through my house and I might not notice. Which apparently happens a lot here in this town. Bug-eyed Two houses were condemned and one 'remodeled' last year because of vehicles driving through them. I won't go into how it happened let's just say they were 'distracted by technology'.

What I have noticed lately is a thumping sound when I change from inhale to exhale. Like a flap on the machine is opening/closing. I cleaned the machine recently and haven't heard it so maybe something (humidifier?) was loose.

Neither the sound nor the mysterious thumping bothers us. We have a fan going all night long for the dog. Provides enough background noise to not notice the whirring of the A10.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the A10 since October, so that's more than six months and I have been using it with the Simplus mask.......the machine is super quiet, quieter than my S9 and my Icon. The A10 is the eighth machine I have owned and used over the years and is by far the quietest of the machines I've used, my pressure gets up around 14cm.

The noise issues that others are reporting must be related to manufacturing irregularities or something because there seems to be such a wide variety of user experiences with the machines. They do have different locations where the machines are produced, I believe my serial number sticker on the box said my machine was made in Singapore.

I realize that you are saying the noise seems to be coming from air intake port so I would check that filter and filter access door are all good, but also check to make sure that the removable air outlet port is properly seated with the tab under its retaining piece........there are instructions for removing and reinserting that air outlet port for cleaning that you can find in the clinicians manual, but it's pretty obvious when you take the humidifier tub out and look in the machine from the right side, you'll see the plastic tab that seats under a retainer.....make sure it's seated properly.

Good luck, hope you get it resolved.
Post Reply Post Reply
One other quick thought, since you indicate that the noise is coming from filter area, are you using the standard filter, or the denser hypoallergenic filter?

I have always used the slightly denser hypoallergenic filter pads in my machine right from the get go (you can get them from almost any online vendor). I don't know if it would make any difference in the noise, but it might be worth a shot.......the slightly thicker/denser filter might muffle the noise a bit.......just an idea

I like the hypoallergenic filter because I live in a somewhat dusty area and those filters do pick up more dust and pollen........and maybe they might help on the noise issue as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 452 56 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,276 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,616 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.