Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
I filled my humidifier up to the max line last night and it didn't seem to make any difference in the sound level. My humidifier is set to auto, so I'll try adjusting that too.

I think I'd be afraid to put my machine under my bed. There's usually a dust monster growing under there. I try kill it every month or two, but you'd think I hadn't looked under there for years every time I do. I live on a busy street and there seems to be new towers going up around me all the time, so dust is a fairly significant issue for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you might find the noise problem is caused by a faulty seal on the humidifier chamber. I got the Darth Vader noise a couple of times, and simply ended up pushing the humidifier chamber into the machine to seal it better and all was quiet again.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
I fooled around with a ton of settings and nothing really changed. I talked to the DME tech and she talked to a few people and they just said it was probably due to me breathing too heavy and havent fully adjusted to the mask and device yet. I ended up switching masks to the Nuance Pro nasal pillows and that has kept the darth vader-ness down a lot. I think part of the issue was the exhaust port on the mask I previously used -- the shape of the holes creating a larger noise - and me breathing too heavily.

It's a lot quieter now though.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having Darth Vader noise, too, and I'm on my second new ResMed 10 in the last month. My first one had to be returned because it was worth than D. Vader. They just gave me a new one rather than sending it back for repair. I've only had the new one for 16 days, and the breathing sounds wake me up often. I've changed masks three times, and I like the Resmed Softgel I'm using now, but it hasn't helped the noise problem. Lincare said that the breathing noise is normal, but I find that hard to believe. I've been using a cpap for over 10 years, and it hasn't been a problem in the past. It looks like I might need another new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try pressing on the lid of the water tank. I think my issues were related to the seal around the lid that you raise every day when you add water. You can see the clear seal when you open it. Pressing down on the tank top, while it was still in the machine, was enough to seat the seal properly and make the Darth Vader noises go away.
However, it is certainly possible that your noises are worse, or from another cause! Check any rubber bits inside the water tank though. It couldn't hurt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2015, 11:43 AM)Buddy1992 Wrote: I'm having Darth Vader noise, too, and I'm on my second new ResMed 10 in the last month. My first one had to be returned because it was worth than D. Vader. They just gave me a new one rather than sending it back for repair. I've only had the new one for 16 days, and the breathing sounds wake me up often. I've changed masks three times, and I like the Resmed Softgel I'm using now, but it hasn't helped the noise problem. Lincare said that the breathing noise is normal, but I find that hard to believe. I've been using a cpap for over 10 years, and it hasn't been a problem in the past. It looks like I might need another new machine.

My Airsense 10 was pretty bad when I first got it. The first couple of nights with the machine were awful and I even stopped using it for a few days because I couldn't sleep with the noise it was making. It's probably a good thing I don't keep a sledge hammer near the bed. I tried to return it but it wasn't any louder than another Airsense 10 that was also brand new. I ended up bringing the same machine back home since I had to agree that I wouldn't be happy with another new machine that made the same noise. The machine was quieter at the DME though. There was no water in the humidifier when we compared machines.

It seemed to get a little quieter after soaking the humidifier and the rubber seal that goes between the two halves of the humidifier. After noticing that, I soaked it again and left it in a sink full of soapy water all day (I used Dawn dish soap). I also used CPAP wipes to wipe down the pieces that the humidifier connects to inside the machine. When I fill the humidifier, I don't just snap the two halves together, I squeeze the two halves together before putting it in the machine and then squeeze the tank into the machine trying to make sure everything is snug.

I tried a few other things as well including turning the machine so that the intake vent was pointing away from me, putting the machine on a towel to dampen any vibrations, wore ear plugs, swore at it, etc. Ear plugs didn't work at all since they just seem to amplify any noise from the mask. Now I have the intake vent pointing towards me again (best for hose position), no towel and the machine is pretty quiet. I've been sleeping well for almost a couple weeks now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also having a noise problem. I have determined it is one of the humidifier seals, either the ones mounted on the machine itself or the seal in the humidifier chamber. Some nights it takes me a couple of minutes to successfully shut it up by inserting and removing the chamber or opening and closing the lid.
Post Reply Post Reply

@AlanE: My new Airsense 10 (about 3 weeks old) has made a flappy noise too, which I think is the same one you are describing. I poked down on the square rubber flap on the top of the water reservoir (several times), and it stopped and stayed stopped for the whole night. It came back one other night, and the same cure fixed it.

If it keeps coming back, I may have to take that rubber seal off and see what's up. It doesn't appear to be a seal I am meant to use -- water doesn't get poured into there, or anything. But that's definitely where *my* noise was coming from, and it was a very definite thump / flap noise on inhale / exhale. It was quite annoying to me, because otherwise I can't even tell when the machine is on, and like another commenter, I have to put my hand in front of my face to see if there is air there (and even that isn't a strong clue, with the air dispersion screen on my P10 nasal pillows).

This noise is bad enough to make me give up on using the humidifier (I only started using it a week ago*) and to consider buying a side-plate to close off the side, instead. So yeah --- that noise has got to be solved! Fortunately, so far, poking at that flap has stopped the noise.

*and in fact I'm wondering if the humidifier has given me this head cold!

bgDeb
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks bgDeb. I have been lying awake trying to solve the whistling noise and pressing down on the water reservoir solved the problem
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2015, 02:38 PM)South Aussie Wrote: @AlanE: My new Airsense 10 (about 3 weeks old) has made a flappy noise too, which I think is the same one you are describing. I poked down on the square rubber flap on the top of the water reservoir (several times), and it stopped and stayed stopped for the whole night. It came back one other night, and the same cure fixed it.

yes, I have done the same and I have not had the same thumping noise as I did before. Thanks for putting that out there. It will help others to fix that annoying problem.

Alan

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 349 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,257 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,593 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,762 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.