Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
Looking at it again, I think I was actually pressing on the whole lid of the water unit -- because the seal which was moving was between the top half and the bottom half. I could see the seal raise from "standard position" when I opened and changed the water. And it didn't always close into the same position. So pressing down on the top of the water tank --- or on the rubber square up there --- was actually pressing that seal around the whole middle seam, back into its correct position. If somebody actually takes that seal out to clean it (I didn't) then you'll have even more fun getting it back in _just_right_. It looks like it's very sensitive to positioning.
Post Reply Post Reply
We just purchased one of these A10 Autoset for Her machines for my mother (unfortunately it had to be purchased in Aus as an emergency as her machine died during a hospital visit and the due to her condition she was not allowed by the docs to sleep without using a cpap machine, I went straight to the nearest vendor and got one to take in..) and she has been plagued with no end of wierd squeal/squeak noises (like a dog toy being squeazed), which I tracked down the seal between the two halves of the humidifier. I really suspect this to be a design flaw and one that ResMed should address and fix under warranty. The seal needs to be larger/wider or the humidifier redesigned so that it applies better clamping force to the seal. You can clearly see the seal moving and vibrating to make the noise.

What fixes it for me is to fill the unit, dry the two mating surfaces and the seal as best I can, then insert the seal locating it on the circular intake/exhaust port and pressing it down in all 4 corners, then shutting the top half and pressing down to make a firm seal all around. This is fine for me to do but my 76yr old mother with poor eyesight (currently in a rehab hospital) is having a hell of a time and so are her nurses (I've had to drive in and sort it out several times).

I have several videos of the noise, which our provider tried to tell my father was "normal"...

A rubber band around the two halves of the humidifier to clamp down the seal is my next plan of attack, not something that should be needed on a top of the line unit!

Other than that, it's keeping her AHI to 0.1 since getting it so I'm very pleased with performance and may get one for myself (Currently using a F&P Premo constant pressure unit).
Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy,

I found this thread using the search and believe I have the same noise happening on my Aircurve 10 autoset.

In my case I've had the Aircurve for roughly four months and it's been a rocky ride so far.

When the machine was first issued there was noise movement whistling type noise (not from the mask). I took it back to the dme who was playing with the machine on his desk when he reached up and squeezed the two halves of the reservoir together which stop that noise. A new reservoir was issued and that problem was solved.

The machine also has a high pitched whining noise during inhalation that sounds like a turbine engine spooling up. I think some here mentioned darth vadar noise.

I am 100% sure this noise is Not from the mask, and near 100% sure the noise is not from the reservoir. Given my wifes excellent hearing we believe the noise is coming from the air intake/filter port.

I am a long time bipap user and I understand that an air machine is going to make some noise, particularly air-movement noise, but this whining sound is making me nuts. It is just loud enough and at such a frequency that it really bothers me.

So I of course brought the machine back to the dme who said oh yes all these machines make that noise. He brought an allegedly brand new machine from the back room and demonstrated that this new machine did indeed make that same noise.

Dme person said the old S9 was typically a pretty quiet machine but that Resmed had taken the guts out of the S9 and put them in the light weight, compact enclosure that is the Airsense/Aircurve model line.

Had a follow-up appointment with my sleep doctor last week who uses the Airsense 10 and says his machine doesn't make this noise. He did acknowledge however that air machines in general are being 'cost optimized' during design and manufacture. As are most other products of course.

He did have some examples of what other patients have done when faced with a noisy machine (not necessarily resmed). He has patients that have bored a hole through the bedroom wall and located the machine in the next room. This works if the machine has auto start/stop as one doesn't need physical access to the machine to begin/stop therapy.

I have experimented with doubling up the air intake filters and pointing the air intake away from my head, and that helped a little bit.

The machine sits at head level right next to me on a night stand. I can't put it under the bed as I have a power bed and with all the linkage under there, there is no room.

I suppose I could build a roll-able platform that could roll the machine on the floor and under the nightstand but that would require bending over each night to fill the reservoir and at my age I don't like bending over.

I'm thinking of something a little simpler like a lift off cover that would be lined with sound-proofing material. The cover would need slots for the power cord and the air tubing. It would have a handle on top and just sit down over the machine. One would need to take the cover off each night to put water in the reservoir (unless I left that end of the cover open). My doctor thought this was a real good idea and he said he wouldn't be overly concerned with restricting air to the air intake with such a loose fitting cover design.

What do you think of this idea? Anybody make something similar?

Also, for those of you who have posted about this noise, has your situation improved?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Machines that are making abnormal noises are not operating correctly. Your machine should be very quiet, although the mask may be responsible for adding noise via its vent. After reseating or replacing the reservoir, which is a known issue, if the noise persisted, I would not accept the machine. ResMed, or any manufacturer with these problems, needs to accept responsibility for a bad design and correct it. They won't feel compelled to do that if they don't suffer the consequences. These are expensive pieces of equipment and a low noise level is integral to successful compliance.

I am really disappointed in ResMed and their quality control that they are still pushing these incorrectly built machines.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
star searcher,

A similar whining sound that does not come from the mask or reservoir happens on mine when it's time to change the air filter. You mention doubling the air filter, that would probably make it worse. You probably also changed the air filter but just in case you haven't after four months this is overdue for air filter noise which occurs at around 2-3 months in my experience (btw "my experience" is only five months total so it's not like I'm an old veteran, just a kid with a dream (well, they're coming back) sharing some ideas about similar noises on my A10 which did get resolved).

If I don't firmly seat the humidifier in place, there will sometimes be a whistling sound especially upon inhaling. It turned out to be the air seal between the reservoir and the base unit. That happens every couple of weeks and I simply pull the reservoir out and reseat it then the sound goes away. This sound doesn't seem to come from the reservoir because it's deep inside the unit, but it was a bad air seal between the base and reservoir units.

In other discussions, some members have reported hairline cracks in their air hoses or hoses not properly seated would also make similar noises. Next time you clean the air hose, you might cap one end with your hand, hold it under water, and blow into the other end to see if you get any bubbles anywhere along the length of the hose, especially if you tend to tug on it or bend it at night. I guess you could also check this using mask fit function which cranks up the pressure and carefully examine for leaks, twist turn tug reseat while it is operation and see if the noise changes when you mess with it.

Here's a general idea that may or may not solve the problem but it would be my next step... since the noises we are describing almost certainly come from leaky air seals. You never know if a little dust has gotten into an air seal and caused a tiny air leak. So you might carefully recheck every connection through which air flows. Take it apart, wipe it off, reseat the connection. That means: the little rubber door where the air filter goes, the hose connection to the base unit, the reservoir connection to the base, the clam shell silicon water seal connection between top and bottom halves of the reservoir, the hose connection to the mask unit, and anything else I didn't think of where air might leak through some kind of coupling.

It's a pain but when it works well sleep is sweet.

Based on your profile you've been at this a lot longer than I have even though I have a bit longer on our current machine. So all of the above is offered with much respect knowing you have probably thought of most of the ideas already.

hope something in here is helpful,

Saldus Miegas

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my 2 cents for the collective knowledge of the Airsense 10 noise issue. After 5 happy years on the S9 Elite, I was given a new Resmed Airsense 10. I experienced a whining whistle like noise when breathing in, coming from the filter intake area inside the machine. I found the noise really irritating since it was not a ‘white noise’ and the fact that it followed my breathing pattern was really annoying and caused me difficulty falling asleep

I did all the usual trouble shooting: It’s not the filter, I have a good seal on mask & tubes & the humidifier had a good seal. Working with the DME we found it started around a pressure pressure setting of 10 and continued into my setting of 13. Ramp up did hide it until I fell asleep but when I would wake up in the middle of the night, the noise would agitate me and make it difficult to get back to sleep.

Truthfully the noise did not sound like much in the daytime at the DME, considering the background noise of the their ventilation system and normal daytime office sounds, I could tell they thought I was overly sensitive. But, in a dark quiet bedroom when my hearing sensitivity is heightened, it was maddening. I have no doubt that the sound level I experienced is within the acceptable dB level of the Airsense 10, but it’s not how loud it was but rather the type of sound that made it a nuisance. It seems to me like resonance from the air flow, probably occurs only on some machines due to manufacturing variance, not a defect but variation. Too bad I got a bad one because I loved all the other features of the machine. I did contact Resmed about the issue and they wanted nothing to do with me and said to contact my DME supplier.

I wanted to share this so others in my position do not think they are crazy. I am sleeping happily now with a new S9.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 01:32 PM)JohnnyMac Wrote: I did contact Resmed about the issue and they wanted nothing to do with me and said to contact my DME supplier.
Not good enough from a company that pride itself on customer service
Maybe if we all boycott the company, then they'll take notice

As for the noise, the S9 had its fair of complaints, different people said different things, also PRS1 machines as well
I think you're right, some machines comes out from the factory noisier than others, matter of luck

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 01:52 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 01:32 PM)JohnnyMac Wrote: I did contact Resmed about the issue and they wanted nothing to do with me and said to contact my DME supplier.
Not good enough from a company that pride itself on customer service
Maybe if we all boycott the company, then they'll take notice

As for the noise, the S9 had its fair of complaints, different people said different things, also PRS1 machines as well
I think you're right, some machines comes out from the factory noisier than others, matter of luck

More likely it is a matter of quality assurance that is not the best with maybe a little design weakness thrown in.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 03:36 PM)PaytonA Wrote: More likely it is a matter of quality assurance that is not the best with maybe a little design weakness thrown in.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Resmed had the same problem with both the S9 and AirSense 10
My guess, the problem something to do with the motor and they don't know how to fix it Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2015, 05:01 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: Machines that are making abnormal noises are not operating correctly. Your machine should be very quiet, although the mask may be responsible for adding noise via its vent. After reseating or replacing the reservoir, which is a known issue, if the noise persisted, I would not accept the machine. ResMed, or any manufacturer with these problems, needs to accept responsibility for a bad design and correct it. They won't feel compelled to do that if they don't suffer the consequences. These are expensive pieces of equipment and a low noise level is integral to successful compliance.

I am really disappointed in ResMed and their quality control that they are still pushing these incorrectly built machines.
Bold is mine. You are absolutely correct, and I ended up doing a warranty exchange of my Resmed Aircurve for a PRS1.

(10-05-2015, 04:35 PM)zonk Wrote: My guess, the problem something to do with the motor and they don't know how to fix it Thinking-about
Yes I suspect this is true. When I brought my Aircurve back to the DME for the second time for this noise I ended up seeing a different tech, and he did the same thing as the first tech. Listened to the machine. Acknowledged that the noise was unacceptable. Brought out a new Aircurve from inventory and it had the exact same noise.

He listened to it on all sides, back, front, top and ends while I thumbed the hose to trigger the noise on inhalation (or blower ramp-up). He said it sounded like the motor to him. He also said that Resmed has told them that they (Resmed) have received noise complaints on this product.

I've been on bipap since 1998 or so and have used several different machines over the years. I am not unrealistic in my expectations. I get that these are air machines and they are going to make some noise. (air movement noise at the mask if nothing else). The PRS1 that I got in exchange for the Aircurve is not silent, nor was my old respironics M-series bipap that the Aircurve replaced. It makes a small bit of operational noise, but it doesn't have the supremely irritating motor whine type noise that my Aircurve had.

That noise reminded me of the old vehicles (before electronics) where the radio would have this high pitched whine noise that rose and fell with the RPM's of the engine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,806 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 418 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,269 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 617 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,801 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.