Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
(02-25-2015, 10:48 AM)trish6hundred Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 10:05 AM)bffhmc Wrote: I used S9 loaner for a month, everything is ok. I then purchased a Airsense 10, boy oh boy, I could not sleep all night long. The Airsense 10 suppose to be as quiet as the s9 at the very least. From my experience, the main unit produces noise every time I breath in, it is coming from the air vent on the left hand side of the machine. I have to use ear plug the second night and finally exchanged for a s9 on the third day.

Resmed, this is fundamental.
Hi bffhmc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good you found a quiet machine. I can hardly hear my S9AutoSet.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

I realize I'm late to the party but figured I'd take a crack at making some suggestions. That unit should be near silent even at high pressure. Three common causes of loud noise would be no filter or damaged filter, a mask, fitting. tube, or coupling leak, or climate control on manual with a dry water reservoir. Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2015, 03:56 AM)Flint Wrote: I realize I'm late to the party but figured I'd take a crack at making some suggestions.
Better late than never
Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2015, 11:16 AM)zonk Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 03:56 AM)Flint Wrote: I realize I'm late to the party but figured I'd take a crack at making some suggestions.
Better late than never
Welcome

Thanks. I appreciate that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have the Resmed Airsense 10 and noticed that it was making a whirring sound when inhaling. I noticed this on the second evening, too loud to ignore. It was coming from the filter vent. I took it back to the company I got it from, they listened to it and admitted it shouldn't make that noise. They brought out a new one, we hooked it up to my mask, and it did not make the noise at all. It does seem that some of the machines might have this defect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 09:24 AM)cricha61 Wrote: I also have the Resmed Airsense 10 and noticed that it was making a whirring sound when inhaling. I noticed this on the second evening, too loud to ignore. It was coming from the filter vent. I took it back to the company I got it from, they listened to it and admitted it shouldn't make that noise. They brought out a new one, we hooked it up to my mask, and it did not make the noise at all. It does seem that some of the machines might have this defect.

Welcome to the forum, cricha61
It seems that quite a few folk have complained about various defects with the AirSense 10, so it's good you took it back.

For anyone out there, if you experience issues with your new machines, take it back, especially if you are new to Cpap therapy.
It's a challenge to adapt to Cpap, so no need to put up with noise issues.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the ResMed AirSense 10 and am amazed at HOW LITTLE noise it makes. I use the AirFit N10 and there is a slight noise on inhale but that's about it. My wife says she doesn't think it's on (it is). Maybe it's a mismatch with the mask? The other slight noise is the AirFit N10 'anti re-breathe' feature that blows a slight bit of air out the front of the mask so you are not re-breathing CO2.

Post Reply Post Reply
No, it's a problem with the seals in the water reservoir. (And perhaps other seals, for different noises.) We've had the problem reported with the AirFit P10 mask as well. And also people who didn't start out with any noise, and for whom it developed a little later.

[ I'm too lazy to clean more things, so I'm not using the water tank at all anymore. I bought the replacement side panel, which makes the whole unit smaller too! ]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I'm new here and new to CPAP in general.

I hope I'm going the right thing by commenting on an old thread as I believe my problem is similar.

I'm in Australia and recently purchased a used Resmed Airsense 10 from a US online supplier. It only had 40 hours on the clock so was genuinely lightly used. The problem is that the machine is noisy. For obvious cost reasons, I'd like to see if there is anything I can do to avoid posting it back.

The noise I hear is made when I inhale. The noise is not too loud but in a quiet bedroom at night it's enough to keep me awake and make my wife complain. For now, the machine is unusable until I sort out of this problem.

The noise appears to come from the air inlet (like many people here say). I've been trying out lots of the ideas here regarding the humidifier. One of the last things I tried was removing the humidifier and pressing my hose against the air outlet (inside the humidifier recess). Doing this I could still hear the noise so I'm fairly sure that the noise is not caused by the humidifier.

Another thing I tried was removing the mask and then holding the hose directly to my mouth. To my surprise this was much quieter. Does this mean the problem is my mask or is it just behaving differently because I'm breathing directly from the hose. My mask is a Resmed Airfit F10 full face mask that I purchased new.

I made a small YouTube video of the sound. It was made by holding the phone next to the air inlet. The sound in the video is much louder but it does sound like what I'm hearing. As I'm new I can post the YouTube link but the reference is naaezJEujSU so you should be able to search that.
Post Reply Post Reply
[ Oh, it's a dead elephant! Sorry, that's not helpful, is it? But yes, that's very annoying! ] Have you tried writing or calling ResMed? (while we wait to see if anybody has other suggestions)
Post Reply Post Reply
I hear it; and that's annoying. Could be that you got a motor that whines. The blower has a digitally controlled motor that has to spin up the blower with each breath; then spin it down. One thing I would check is for proper seating of the humidifier seals.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 11 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,255 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 85 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,759 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.