Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
If the machine is excessively noisy, be sure to notify the seller now. Maybe take a quick video with sound. You can try to mitigate the noise, but this protects your right to return if necessary. The machines are normally very quiet, but you can make them even quieter. Turning down EPR or turning it off will avoid the motor changing speed on inhale. What are your pressure and EPR settings? Your profile shows unsure. If that is true, get the CPAP setup manual at the link at the top of this page and figure it out.

Put the machine in a drawer on a pad. Mine is setup in a 2-drawer side table that has a 2-inch diameter hole in the back for the hose and electric. No sound at all, and don't worry about air make-up volume. A dresser is not air-tight.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 07:04 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: [ Have you tried writing or calling ResMed? (while we wait to see if anybody has other suggestions)
I imported the machine from the US as they are twice the price here. Unfortunately, Resmed AU refuse to help with imported units.
(11-01-2016, 07:26 PM)justMongo Wrote: Could be that you got a motor that whines.
What about the noise going away when I breathe directly from the hose (without a mask)?
(11-01-2016, 07:26 PM)justMongo Wrote: One thing I would check is for proper seating of the humidifier seals.
I tried bypassing the humidifier by pushing the hose directly into the outlet in the humidifier recess with the humidifier removed and it was still noisy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just listened to the youtube.

Yep, that is exactly the noise my machine made from new.

It was a faulty seal. Resmed (AU) repaired mine under warranty.
(sorry that wasn't good news for you)

Regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 10:23 PM)cands Wrote: Yep, that is exactly the noise my machine made from new.

Interesting.

Do you know which seal it was?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 10:37 PM)comphelp Wrote:
(11-01-2016, 10:23 PM)cands Wrote: Yep, that is exactly the noise my machine made from new.

Interesting.

Do you know which seal it was?

Sorry, I don't recall.

Like yours, it did it right out of the box. I think it got progressively worse over a few days. I put up with it for a while and slept with ear-plugs. Somehow I thought I was doing something wrong, being new to the world of CPAP.

Eventually it 'clicked' with me that something was seriously wrong with the machine. It still worked okay, blowing air, changing pressure and recording results.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh my! That's awful. I'm certain the fix is simple. You might just send this video to the person that sold you the machine and see if they have an idea which one needs replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naaezJEujSU
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2016, 07:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If the machine is excessively noisy, be sure to notify the seller now. Maybe take a quick video with sound.
I've notified them. Their response was to suggest it was me making the noise by snoring. I've informed them that I was totally awake as it was daytime and I took the video myself! I will take a better video to prove it's the machine.
(11-01-2016, 07:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What are your pressure and EPR settings? Your profile shows unsure. If that is true, get the CPAP setup manual at the link at the top of this page and figure it out.
My 95% percentile was about 10cm in the 5 hours I managed to persist.
(11-01-2016, 07:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Put the machine in a drawer on a pad. Mine is setup in a 2-drawer side table that has a 2-inch diameter hole in the back for the hose and electric. No sound at all, and don't worry about air make-up volume. A dresser is not air-tight.
Thanks for the pics. The machine works fine, it's just the noise so that's an option rather than to return it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2016, 05:58 AM)cands Wrote: Sorry, I don't recall.
Was there any paperwork suggesting what they repaired?
(11-02-2016, 05:58 AM)cands Wrote: Eventually it 'clicked' with me that something was seriously wrong with the machine. It still worked okay, blowing air, changing pressure and recording results.
Like yours my machine does actually work well. It's just the noise that's keeping us awake.
(11-02-2016, 07:45 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Oh my! That's awful. I'm certain the fix is simple. You might just send this video to the person that sold you the machine and see if they have an idea which one needs replaced.
Thanks for posting the video seeing as I wasn't allowed to.

I did email the supplier, he said:
Quote:The video sounds like you snoring, I am not sure that the machine is making noise, it is actually coming from you i believe.
I've replied that I was awake and took the video myself but haven't heard back since.
Post Reply Post Reply
Without providing a link or using .com let us know who this supplier is. They seem to deserve some "recognition".
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2016, 12:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Without providing a link or using .com let us know who this supplier is. They seem to deserve some "recognition".

Second Wind CPAP

I got another reply overnight as follows:
Quote:I was unable to hear any noise from the machine, only from your breathing, but if you are used to a quieter machine, you can return it. Since there is no fault with the machine itself, you would be responsible for shipping it back to us, and once we receive it, we can issue a refund, minus the 15% restocking fee.

I do not recommend replacing it, due to the fact that it will have the same noise level, so it would not be a suitable solution.

I can't for the life of me see how he doesn't think this is a fault.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 392 32 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,260 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,601 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,769 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.