Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
I have read through 10 pages of responses and have not seen anything about taking the bottom of the machine off and investigating. Does anyone know of a site that contains an EXPLODED VIEW of all the parts like you see on other things like motors, etc... I am not buying the fact that some machines make more noise than others, even brand new, as ResMed could not stay in business with that type of quality control. I can take things apart and put them back usually without ruining them and often am able to make them work even better.

I bought my Airsense 10 off craigslist as my EliteII seemed outdated and I wanted the recording on my own feature. MY airsense 10 definitely now [with 6000 hrs] makes noise at the air intake area when inhaling. With mask on, and placing finger over the blue intake hole, I can make the noise louder or softer, but never eliminating it entirely. I am wondering if I can get to the motor, a small squirt of silicone spray may quiet the moving parts or wheels. When all of us are sending these machines back, there has to be some technicians doing something to them during the refurbishing process. Can ANYONE in the business comment on this please?
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread has some info -- and the writers in that thread might have a parts list.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ts-diagram
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the ResMed AirSense 10 well over a year.  QUIET as it can be -- until two nights ago.  Sounded like 'wheezing'.  Last night, started it again -- I replaced the hose, filter, mask and water reservoir was fine.  No change.  I turned the unit completely off for almost an hour (sound was in my head and driving me crazy).  I haven't changed any settings on the unit.  I use the Fisher & Paykel Vitera full-face mask.

During the night I did wake up and the wheezing was much less but still there.

I've emailed my direct contact company (local) for suggestions.  (He's not real quick with responses so I may have to send another email or call them today!)
My unit is still under warranty (I'm hoping) so I don't want to wait until later and then the cost be on me.  I think something is wrong with the unit.  

The sound is worse when I inhale with the tail end of the sound as I exhale.  Something isn't right.

I'll update after I get an answer and what I'm to do going forward.

Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed A10 series employ a face type seal of the humidifier airway connections, using silicon connectors.  Over time, these silicon connectors lose some of their rigidity, which may start to cause leakage, thus causing the wheezing sound.  This is akin to a mask sealing on your face, albeit without the aid of tensioning straps.  The humidifier silicon outflow port connector (to the hose) can be replaced fairly easily.  Finding the part is the next obstacle.  

However, I've found 2 methods far easier.  The first is to use a more forceful, rapid insertion of the humidifier.  My last statement doesn't mean get a running start and try to drive it home.  I mean insert the tank as usual until about 1/2" (12 mm) away from total lockup and provide a fast positive push to make the connection.  The second is the use of a food grade O-ring lubricant, using a light coating, spread on the face of the connecting seal.  This sealant/lubricant usually comes in a 4 oz. (120 ml.) bottle and is enough for the rest of your life.  I found mine on Amazon (like everything else in this world).  

For a proof-of-concept, you might try a little petroleum jelly on the sealing surfaces to see if this is your problem area.  

Good luck!

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The sound you are hearing is most likely related to a failure in the "pneumatic block" (fan) and is a common warranty situation. There are several You-Tube videos you can listen to to compare the sound. Here is an extreme example, but some are more subtle whines.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even when all seals are seated properly and there are no air leaks in the reservoir or elsewhere, my Airsense 11 (and I suspect also Airsense 10) makes considerable noise with each inhalation, and the amount of noise is directly proportional to the force of each inhalation.

On average, it's probably not more than the claimed ~26 dB, but my point is that this was easily avoidable from an engineering perspective. Most of the inhalation noise emanates from the air intake port, where the all-but-pointless little filter is situated (it doesn't do much besides filtering out dust-bunnies and stray insects).  All that would be needed to greatly reduce this noise would be to install a simple muffler directly on the air intake port; obviously constructed in such as way as not to impede airflow significantly. But nobody makes such a muffler.

Yes, they do sell mufflers for these machines, but these are intended for installation between the air OUTlet port and the hose, which (a) doesn't do much to reduce noise at the air INlet, and (b) makes it impossible to use heated hose (unless you were to install the muffler between hose and mask, which would be even less effective, not to mention awkward as hell).

I plan to put my entire CPAP (Airsense 11) in the drawer of my bedside table, with the hose exiting through a hole drilled in the back of the cabinet. A second hole will be drilled in the back of the cabinet and covered with a piece of foam, to allow fresh air in without letting noise out. Pretty awkward, but based on an initial experiment, it will cut the noise down to practically nil.
Post Reply Post Reply
Something like this?  I have been doing this for the past 10 years.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28461]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I did the same as Sleeprider and it works well. However I’m going for full motor replacement at this point. I’m just waiting for delivery now of the replacement. But even with the new motor I will keep it in the draw.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a new airsense 10 and it was tremendously louder than my resmed 9, and prior airsense 10's.  I can't see a way to post a picture here, so try to follow my description.

The noise was at the unit air inlet, a half inch tube inlet.  

I took the box my unit came in and cut a hole for the power and for the hose to my mask.  Placed unit inside box, and it was even louder (*like inside a drum).

Then I cut a 5"×2" slot opposite my bed (and the air inlet) and the unit became whisper quiet!

I wasn't sure it was even on, it was so quiet, til I felt the air pressure!

But heat could be an issue in there...

Tomorrow I will cut a silicone funnel to fit that half inch air inlet and remove the inlet cover and filter.  I will then temporarily affix it to the unit with duct tape, and to a cup holder hepa air filter on the other side.  My hope is that the filter will mask the whooshing noise as well as the cardboard box.  Certainly the air filtration will be better.  

If you don't know the filter I am talking about think of a whole house water filter, only for air - like a dust vac, only with better filters and activated charcoal.  They have 2 holes, normally one is plugged and the other is for purified air outlet.  I tape over one and tape the funnel to the other one.  Air inlet is now the diameter of the cup holder X the distance and length of the folds in the filter wider than the original half inch inlet.  I bet it restricts air flow less than those cruddy white ones resmed sells.

If it works, will also recommend to resmed for other people who prefer to sleep 8n a quiet room.  I could then 3d print the filter adapter and a cap for the other hole.  Both filter and adapter easily fit in the bag, too.  If, you put the adapter inside your empty reservoir.  After all, the entire silicone funnel fits!  (*as does the filter, in the power cord pocket, but i use nasal pillows - may not fit with a full mask.  Will fit in an empty nalgene water bottle though.)

Like or comment and I will get notified to let you know how that works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Redneck,

If the new A10 is loud maybe you can return it and get one that’s quiet. I had the same thing happen yrs ago on a brand new A10 and returned it the next day to my local DME and they had no problem exchanging it. That lady even told me , you’re not the first! She said it happens sometimes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,254 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 84 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,759 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.