Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed Nasal Pillows with DreamStation?
ResMed Nasal Pillows with DreamStation?
Hello.  After having to replace my Philips gel nasal pillow headgear for the 3rd time in a little over that many years because the cloth material deteriorates and stretches, not to mention the sides creep up over my cheekbones toward my eyes, I tried a ResMed Swift FX.  There's far less fabric and what's there appears like I might be able to replace when it comes time, so the switch is a win on those criteria.   The problem arises with the DreamStation's leak detection - it seems to report between 50 and 75 percent leakage every night even though it feels like a snug fit and there isn't any apparent leak around my nostrils. Of course I've left the DreamStation set for their proprietary nose pillows.  I'm trying to decide what other headgear setting to try in the Dreamstation, or if I should try to cover a few of the expiration holes in the ResMed's hose with tape.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a similar situation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Nasal Pillows with DreamStation?
The Dreamstation does not report percentage leakage; it reports total venting in litres per minute. That's the mask design venting plus accidental mask and mouth leakage.
If you have the little instruction book that usually comes with ResMed mask, you will find a chart that shows the design venting at various pressures. Use the pressure closest to your usual pressure and read off the vent flow. Now subtract that from the total venting that the dreamstation reports to see what your mask leakage is. If it's less than about 25 litres per minute, you're not in large leak territory yet.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed User Guide tells me to refer to the Mask/Device Compatibility List, but when I click what I believe is the link they intended, I get 'access denied'.  Nice.
Post Reply Post Reply
From the Swift FX manual:

Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess it's my fault for using the term "leak", when the DreamStation is expressing mask fit of 56%.  I also think in terms of leakage because my AHI is one to two points above my 5 target where it had been with the Respironics nose pillows, so it's fairly apparent the intended pressure isn't reaching my airway.  I found the table in the User Guide that you referred to - it shows a vent flow rate of 29 liters per minute.  I have not yet found where the DreamStation tells me the flow rate you describe - still looking.  Thanks for your interest and assistance.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,753 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 69 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 262 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 394 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.