Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed S9 used
ResMed S9 used
I am looking into buying a used 2013 ResMed S9 from Craigslist, as my son has sleep apnea, no insurance and cannot afford a sleep study and a new machine.  The cpap that is available for $299 is  " AutoSet, autoset for Her, Elite, Escape Auto Escape, positive  airway pressure devices.  H 5I, H 5I for  Her, heated humidifier".   This is what the cover of the booklet says. The owner says she used it for one year and does not need it any more.  I gather from what I've read that altho it says "for her", you can auto set it for a male.  I'm new to the cpap world and would love some feedback on this particular machine and what you think.  I know he would have to get a new mask.     Here's a pic of it:
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 used
You need to look at the front of the machine itself for the model, as the manual is written for all models. If it is an Autoset, Autoset for her or Elite, it is a fully data capable machine. If it is the Escape Auto or Escape, it will not provide data and the machine is way over-priced for that. At that price, only the Autoset is a fair deal. If it is an Elite, I would go 200-250, and I would not buy an Escape model for someone without a sleep test.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Suziehurley,
I can't tolerate seeing people get "taken" on buying the wrong machine, whether it be from a DME, online supplier or Craig's list.  If you purchase from Craig's list, you have to know what you are looking for.  Here is a link to help on what to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Get_Taken

Be sure you purchase a data capable machine, preferably an Auto CPAP.  

Also, check out Supplier #2 from the suppliers list above.  They have a good reputation, and sell low hour used machines and also open boxed new machines.

Good luck in your search. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much, that is very helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply
The owner sent me pics of the front of the machine and it only says ResMed.  She also sent pics of the bottom of the machine that I will try to include here but it doesn't indicate which of the 3 it is!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this list.  I found out it is an Elite ResMed S9, so that's good news. She said I would have to get a new chip put in.  Do you know where I could do this?  We have Lincare, a cpap supply store here in town, where he could probably be fitted for a mask without a prescription hopefully, but could they put a new chip in?  I was thinking of offering $200. for it since it's not the Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I would not purchase a machine that was not data capable such as the "Elite". This holds true especially if you are going to be coordinating your own treatment without a doctor. You will have no way of telling what settings you need or if those settings are working.

If it were me I would keep looking and find a machine that is data capable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi suziehurley,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If the machine is an S9Elite, it is a fully data-capable, fixed pressure CPAP machine.

Fixed pressure means that you only have one pressure, (for Example, 10 Cm H2O,) all night. If you could get an S9AutoSet or the For Her model,, that would be better; it is a fully data-capable machine, and the difference between the Elite and the AutoSet is that, in the AutoSet, you can set a range of pressures, for example, 7/20 Cm H2O.
I wish you and your son good luck on this journey, hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
By chip she means memory card I assume. You'll need an SDHC card the smallest GB you can get but no smaller than 1GB.

Yes, you need a prescription for a mask. Any doctor can write a prescription for it. My GP does all of mine now.

I would keep looking. If you are doing this on your own, you want to get an autoPAP. You can do it with a "straight" CPAP but it is easier with an Auto. You also want one from a non-smoker.

When you look at used Resmed CPAPs, the name of the machine is right next to the on/off button.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for this!  I also found on Craigslist a company based in Canada that is selling brand new Auto Set ResMed Air Sense 10 for $495 that does not require a prescription.  I talked to the guy on the phone who was very helpful.  This seems like a very good price for this, what do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.