Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed Swift FX vent?
Question 
ResMed Swift FX vent?
I have a (new) ResMed Swift FX nasal pillow headgear. The air tube terminates at the pillow with an elbow that has a "vent". During use, air bleeds out of the vent, which is most annoying.

Can anyone provide some advice on this? What's the point? is this unique to the Swift FX?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Swift FX vent?
Hi geoffleach,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
All nasal masks have vent holes so you get constant fresh air.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What Trish said. Without those holes you would be rebreathing your exhaled air and CO2. Not good.
Post Reply Post Reply
All masks will have vent holes to allow a constant airflow.

There are typically two questions associated with this. The first is "why". Imagine if those vents were not there, and there was a perfect seal to your face. When you exhale, that exhaled air would go back into your mask and back up the hose for a short distance. When you inhale again, you will be getting that same stale air back. Now, if you add those vent holes at the mask, the constant airflow means that your exhaled air goes out those vent holes and is replaced by fresh air from the machine.

The second question is how those leaks affect the treatment pressure. Without the vents, the machine would pressurize the system and (ignoring your breathing) would simply stop pumping air. With the vents, imagine a car tire with a slow leak. If you add air to the tire at the same rate that air is leaking out of the tire, the tire stays at the same pressure. The same happens with your CPAP system. Again, breathing and EPR complicate the issue somewhat, but the concept remains the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see. Makes (choke gasp ...) sense. Thanks to all.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main question is what problems is this venting causing? If the air is blowing into your eyes, this is almost never acceptable or ever tolerable. If this is the case, you are on the journey that we have all been on, and that is the quest for the right mask. While going thru testing many masks, remember you might circle back to one that you previously had eliminated. Then you learn the tricks to make the best of that mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have rigged a tube to take the vented air away from me up along the line of the main hose, but you have to be careful in the design - it has to be large enough and smooth enough a curve that there is no turbulence build up in the tube preventing the air from moving and building up co2 pockets.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 12:17 AM)Mark Risley Wrote: The main question is what problems is this venting causing? If the air is blowing into your eyes, this is almost never acceptable or ever tolerable. If this is the case, you are on the journey that we have all been on, and that is the quest for the right mask. While going thru testing many masks, remember you might circle back to one that you previously had eliminated. Then you learn the tricks to make the best of that mask.
It turns out that my problem was a combination of max pressure and ramp settings that were defaults with the new ResMed S9. And of course that I'm new to the CPAP thing. Also that I had no idea whether the vent was a design feature or that the mask was broken. Funny how user guides never mention the little things. I've got the settings sorted out, and am sleeping like a baby. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2013, 03:17 AM)DocWils Wrote: I have rigged a tube to take the vented air away from me up along the line of the main hose, but you have to be careful in the design - it has to be large enough and smooth enough a curve that there is no turbulence build up in the tube preventing the air from moving and building up co2 pockets.

Given the exhaust is under constant positive pressure, does it matter if CO2 pockets build up in the exhaust tube? They will never be inhaled, since the airflow is always away from the mask.

I can see making sure that it doesn't add any significant resistance to the exhaust path, since any back-pressure would reduce the airflow and thereby not necessarily fully evacuate the exhaled breath from the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is always a risk when you redirect air designed to blow freely, but the risk is minimal so long as you give it a good way to get out and not allow much backwash or turbulence.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 465 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,787 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  [Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30 Catherine101 179 36,177 05-06-2023, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Jay Belmont

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.