Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Resmed 10
Resmed 10
Hi, New member here. 
Have this unit on trial and having issues with it turning off at night. Waking up with no airflow is counterproductive.

I've tried nasal pillows, nasal mask and face mask. Face mask seems best and I'm adjusting and leak testing it. I guess it moves in the night.

I sure could do with being able to turn this thing onto constant flow manual as I'd sooner have impaired cpap overnight than waking up with no flow.

I'm wondering if a simpler 'non smart' machine might be more suitable.

Any tips or recommendations appreciated. I'm in New Zealand BTW
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed 10
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Find the setting called Smart Stop and if it's on, then turn it off. It's just a guess until you can post an OSCAR chart, but leaks may be on the high side.

OSCAR is the free report tool to view your CPAP data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ill look into that OSCAR chart.

This one doesn't offer a smart stop option unfortunately
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

If there's no 'smart stop' or alarm option in the settings, then of course it's really important to have a good seal throughout your sleep. If your mask loosens as a result of shifting sleep positions, there are methods to control that. As a new user, I'm sure you already know how significantly important mask seal and comfort are in getting the best reduced-apnea results.

There's a lot of experience here, so if you can find the model and brand of your mask, you might also get some advice there. Of course, Oscar graphs and data really help too.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a Smart Start in the My Options menu. It controls both starting and stopping. Turn it off and then let's see if that solves your problem.. You will need to use the button on top to start and stop the machine.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome to the board

You might need to go into the clinical settings and double-check there. I have a feeling that (until I set the Essentials to "Plus") I only had a couple of very basic options, one of which wasn't SmartStart. 

If it's switched on in the clinical menu (see here for how to get into the menu on the Resmed) I would recommend that you turn SmartStart to Off and Set Essentials to "Plus". You'll be going into that menu a lot if you want to tweak your settings.

Otherwise, could you be fumbling around and turning it off in your sleep? People can do all kinds of things (including removing their masks and turning off the machine) so you might have to move it somewhere out of reach if that's the issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2021, 05:30 PM)Nightwalker Wrote: Have this unit on trial and having issues with it turning off at night.

I would swap the machine out because it appears to be malfunctioning.

I agree with the advice about turning off the Smart Start to see if that fixes the the problem. I have Smart Start enabled on my machine and it works just fine. When I put my mask on the machine starts automatically. I always reach over and push the top button to turn it off before I remove the mask. It could be that the Smart Start is malfunctioning on your machine, but it also could be due to a really large leak. Since you've tried a variety of masks, my guess is that it's the former.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replies all.

This machine is a hire one and supposedly the smartstart is turned off by the service/superuser people. There's defo no option to turn it on or off in the user clinical settings.

I suspect it might be faulty and hope they find it to be so when I send it back.

Ill post up how I get on next time. As an aside, is it common to get a blocked nose and sinusitis when starting cpap therapy? If so I might start out with a nasal decongestant for a few days next time.

Thanks all
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to increase the humidity. The extra airflow can dry out your mucous membranes inside your nose (and a dry mouth if you mouth breathe) and that can lead to your nose feeling stuffy and congested. This does tend to ease with the right level of humidity (or maybe some antihistamines or decongestants if, like me, you're prone to a stuffy nose) but now I tend to find that the CPAP actually clears my nose after a while, even if it's a bit stuffy to start with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha,
Was playing about in the menu settings that Ratchick highlighted.

After some head scratching and another coffee I found out that you start the therapy with the on/off button at the top. Shhh, don't tell anyone I'm a dick.

Should be good tonight. Pleased I didn't send the machine back and pleased to have access to the full settings menu.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.