Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Resmed 11 Accident
Resmed 11 Accident
I finally got my new Resmed 11 after a long wait. I have been successfully using CPAP machines for more than 20 years. Mostly a series of Resmed machines. The Autoset 11 is the best I have ever used. So quiet you hardly know it is there. Events less than .4 per hour.
  I had not usually used a Humidifier but I wanted to try it on the 11. I used it for about 6 weeks and frankly did not notice much of any change in how I felt or the therapy worked. Then one night I rolled over in bed and pulled the machine off the nightstand. As luck would have it, it landed upside down and the water leaked out of the tank and puddled around the machine. Before I could react to what happened, the machine shut down. No amount of trying to dry it out and shake water out of the machine could get it going. I called into to my DME and the tech told me that the machine had shorted out and they are getting a new machine for me. I don’t now if they will fix and recycle. I hope so.
  So I am a little surprised that a top end Resmed machine would leak and short out so easliy, but that is what happened. So a word the wise, try not to let your machine fall off the night stand when it has water in it and, if it does, pick it up quickly!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed 11 Accident
I did the same except I was lucky. No damage. No water spilled.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thinking-about  Been there. Done that. You will see in some of my responses in some other threads that I did the exact same thing. Just did not have your bad luck of it getting into the motor.

So now, I use Velcro strips to secure my hose to the table in hope of never pulling it over again.

My 20 year old machine did have a integrated humidifier but it was more of an external connection unlike the AirSense 11. It attached but even upside down it would have been really hard to get the water into my RemStar Plus. And most of the years, I did not use the integrated one but instead a F&P separate tub with a short hose connecting them.

I really “really” like ResMed engineering and design. But the Humidifier on the AirSense 11 is not up to the quality of everything else. In a few years I guess we will all find out it the blower is up to snuff since it was engineered for the portable device and reused in the 11. But the quiet elbow, looks of the machine and more is really great.

The Humidifier not so much. It will not stand up to be filled. Is a little difficult. Pops out if not fully seated properly which is not easy. And can pour water directly back into the motor or control board.

So, you also may want to consider some anchor attachment to whatever your machine is placed on to prevent future problems. I use a Velcro straps fixed to the table with a hose cover. So hopefully the hose cover will help stop the strap from damaging the hose if and when I pull it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey B1Sailor
  Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, maybe a Velcro to the nightstand is a good idea. This time the DME is going to give me a new machine but that might not happen again. Warranties are short. I am using my Resmed 10 until I get the new 11. The 10 is actually a very good machine. I am happy that I have access to such a good backup.

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Brian!

I have no experience with the S11. I have a new S10. I bought the adapter plate so I could run without the humidifier if I needed to. It was expensive. I have a comfortline hose too...which wouldn't work if I bypass humidification. Suspect the S11 has an adapter you can buy too.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Well if you do not need water, that would be safer. 
Yes the 11 does have a side plate replacement for the humidifier chamber. Cost about $18 from most vendors.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the first time ever, I found the bottom of the drawer in which I rest my device wet from spilled water.  I have tugged on the hose a few times and hear the device clunk back to level footing, so no harm done.  This time, with the water evident, I had to re-evaluate merely resting the device in an open drawer.

Then, when the drawer was dry, for the first time ever I was able to close the drawer sufficiently that the neck of the hose that inserts into the back of the machine cleared the top of the opening. This meant that the hard neck/coupling would come up against the top of the drawer recess soon after any tilting had begun.  It worked this time because the hose neck had swiveled further to the side and now cleared the top of the recess.  Perfect!

Velcro could work.  I just came across a quick fix I had never thought to try until by accident.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have to worry about my machine falling to the floor, it already lives there. Water isn't a problem as I don't use the water tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All
 Thank you for the thoughtful replies to my OP. I think some kind of velcro strapping is indicated in my case. I was still in the experimental stage with my humidifier. I have yet not noticed any improvement in my runny nose symptoms (mild). I want to keep trying humidity for a while longer. Maybe increase the humidity output with some velcro straps to hold it down. Or just place the machine on the floor.
Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Early on in my Air11 use I was visiting my son and so had the machine on the floor next to the bed as there was no table. At some point I rolled over and pulled on the hose and realized that this pulls the machine over onto its front.

No water went anywhere that it wasn't supposed to. Later, holding the full water tank over the sink I rotated it and it goes pretty far without sending water out. But the hose is a stupid design!

(20 years ago I had a dishwasher hose come loose and dump lots of water through the kitchen floor into the basement. Directly onto the top of my front-loader washing machine. It turns out that the case on the washer is designed to funnel any liquid spilled on the lid down across all 11 circuit boards, destroying every one. When my replacement washer came the lid sticks out a good 4 inches from the back. I'm one of the elite few customers who knows why!)
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.