Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First Court Orderd Sleep Test Leads to $6M Settlement
First Court Orderd Sleep Test Leads to $6M Settlement
I found the it interesting that the court was able to order the bus driver to take the sleep test, and that an appeals court upheld it. Greyhound objected - they were obviously interested in getting at the truth (sarcasm). 6 million seems a reasonable settlement IMO all things considered - based on the description they're crazy lucky a lot of people weren't killed.

Lucky for Greyhound the bus only overturned on a highway at high speed and flipped a few times, as opposed to a passenger being recorded nude through a peephole the in bus lavatory which might have resulted in an award of 100 million or so Wink (I'm referring to a recent news story).

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/03/09...lement.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Court Orderd Sleep Test Leads to $6M Settlement
(03-12-2016, 12:11 PM)Dreams of Green Wrote: I found the it interesting that the court was able to order the bus driver to take the sleep test, and that an appeals court upheld it. Greyhound objected - they were obviously interested in getting at the truth (sarcasm). 6 million seems a reasonable settlement IMO all things considered - based on the description they're crazy lucky a lot of people weren't killed.

Lucky for Greyhound the bus only overturned on a highway at high speed and flipped a few times, as opposed to a passenger being recorded nude through a peephole the in bus lavatory which might have resulted in an award of 100 million or so Wink (I'm referring to a recent news story).

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/03/09...lement.htm

There have been hundred of thousand sleep test order by court and public laws since the Apnea which hunt began in 2010 from a Trucking Collision Death settlement in Texas - The recipient of that $3.25 million dollar settlement formed a political action group with the monies they received -www.JohnLindsayFoundation.org

As a result of this commercial droves have been taking court ordered sleep test since 2013
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2016, 01:40 PM)0rangebear Wrote: There have been hundred of thousand sleep test order by court and public laws since the Apnea which hunt began in 2010 from a Trucking Collision Death settlement in Texas - The recipient of that $3.25 million dollar settlement formed a political action group with the monies they received -

As a result of this commercial droves have been taking court ordered sleep test since 2013

I don't know if the article I posted is accurate in the claim that it was the first court ordered sleep test or not, but this case was referring to the court forcing someone that was already involved in an incident to take a sleep test against their will after the fact, to determine if apnea could have been a contributing cause.

That's much different than people in certain jobs being required to take a sleep test and having courts rule that such requirements are legal, which is what you are describing.

We have all sorts of requirements for people in positions that affect other peoples safety, as an apnea sufferer I don't want anyone with untreated apnea involved in certain jobs where the death of others could result from them falling asleep, maybe even treated apnea depending on the evidence/situation, so I guess I'd need to hear more about this "apnea witch hunt" to have an opinion on that.
Post Reply Post Reply
The locomotive engineer in the fatal Metro North wreck in New York...a sleep apnea sufferer, he fell asleep and ran his train through a 30 mph curve at over 80 mph...has just been awarded a disability retirement.

It was not revealed whether the sleep apnea, which had been undiagnosed, was the involved disability. His lawyer "citing the confidentiality of his client's medical records, would not say whether (the) sleep apnea led to the disability finding."
Post Reply Post Reply
This man failed to declare/notify his employer or the licensing authority that he had several previous "incidents".

On 22 December 2014 a bin lorry collided with pedestrians in the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland, killing six and injuring fifteen others.[1][2][3][4][5] The driver of the council-owned vehicle, Harry Clarke, said he had passed out at the wheel. A similar blackout had happened to him in the driving seat of a bus, although he not disclosed the incident on his heavy goods vehicle licence renewal application, despite such self-reporting being mandatory. Clarke was officially told he would not face further prosecution, effectively giving him immunity over the deaths and causing protests from victims' families at the way the case had been handled. In October 2015 it was reported that Clarke had been arrested on suspicion of driving without a licence the previous month.[6][7]

And this:

In a BBC television documentary broadcast, relatives of the victims and survivors of the incident maintained that they had been told by a Crown Office official in one to one meetings that Clarke's prior blackout happened in a canteen, instead the driving seat of a bus, and that his obesity and lack of intelligence were major factors in not charging him.[32][33]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 4 126 11 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 134 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 214 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 869 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.