Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should SP02 Drops count as part of AHI or RDI
Question 
Should SP02 Drops count as part of AHI or RDI
My last nights AHI was .68.  Should SP02 drops, RERA, Pulse Changees, UF1 and UF2 be included?  The reason that I ask this is because I have felt tired and very sleepy the whole day.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should SP02 Drops count as part of AHI or RDI
(06-14-2018, 09:19 PM)REMless Wrote: My last nights AHI was .68.  Should SP02 drops, RERA, Pulse Changees, UF1 and UF2 be included?  The reason that I ask this is because I have felt tired and very sleepy the whole day.

REMless, I can't say whether or not they should, although in my opinion most of these shouldn't.  I can say that by definition, AHI is calculated by summing three 'things':  hypopneas, Obstructive sleep apneas, and Central sleep apneas.  The formula is:

Quote:AHI = (OA + CA + H) ÷ # of hours of sleep

Sadly, just because you have a great AHI doesn't guarantee – or even suggest – that you will feel great the next day.  There are a lot of factors that influence that yearned-for feeling of well-being, and most of us have to pursue it for quite a while before it blesses us.

Please don't get discouraged; it may take more effort than you expected but a lot of folks here are eager to help you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should SP02 Drops count as part of AHI or RDI
(06-14-2018, 09:48 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 09:19 PM)REMless Wrote: My last nights AHI was .68.  Should SP02 drops, RERA, Pulse Changees, UF1 and UF2 be included?  The reason that I ask this is because I have felt tired and very sleepy the whole day.

REMless, I can't say whether or not they should, although in my opinion most of these shouldn't.  I can say that by definition, AHI is calculated by summing three 'things':  hypopneas, Obstructive sleep apneas, and Central sleep apneas.  The formula is:

Quote:AHI = (OA + CA + H) ÷ # of hours of sleep

Sadly, just because you have a great AHI doesn't guarantee – or even suggest – that you will feel great the next day.  There are a lot of factors that influence that yearned-for feeling of well-being, and most of us have to pursue it for quite a while before it blesses us.

Please don't get discouraged; it may take more effort than you expected but a lot of folks here are eager to help you get there.

Sadly that may be true, but getting it down low is a good start.
I was getting 0.0 for a while, but I didn't feel that great.  However, it is now around 0.2 most nights and I feel fine.  So it is not all about getting a 0.0.
However, it may be certain types of apnea that affects some more than others.  If I get any centrals, which I do not get at 0.2 I feel fine, but it there are central apneas in any of it including it as a total I feel crap.  If  hypopneas are high I also feel rough, so as long as it is OSA and it is around 0,2 I feel fine.
Though I am still happy if in a morning it is a 0.0 just to keep me happy that I can still get one.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  ResMed Air 10 can't count CaptainEven 6 282 03-02-2024, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,903 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,060 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 440 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike
  What is the best way to record SP02 for OSCAR Ghandi 2 429 09-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Ghandi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.