Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Resmed S9 climate control only on momentarily enabled
Resmed S9 climate control only on momentarily enabled
Hi all,

I am writing this post on behalf of a very dear friend of mine. He gave me his CPAP machine to have a look at today as he was experiencing some issues with it. I'm not overly familiar with the use of CPAP machines so please excuse me if my terminology is a little off. I do however have experience with servicing biomedical equipment hence why he asked me to have a look.

First of all the heating tube does not appear to be recognized by the Resmed S9 when it is being attached to the H5i humidifier. The little water drop on the screen does is appearing on its own without the temperature gauge beside it. However, when i disconnect the heating tube and re-connect it, the "climate control enabled" message momentarily appears. It is at that moment that the temperature gauge appears and i am able to attempt to "warm up" the heating tube (the heating tube in use is a Climate Line). However, after a brief moment (approx. 45 seconds) the temperature gauge disappears and i receive a "humidifier fault, replace humidifier".

I have checked all connections from both the hose and the humidifier itself, cleaned them with electronic solvent cleaner but still receiving either the same fault or temperature gauge present at all. I have confirmed that the heating pad is working correctly and that heat is being transferred to the water chamber appropriately.

My original guess was that the hose was faulty, but my friend has advised that he tried another hose he had from one of his friend's and it worked correctly.

I have checked for proper alignment and contact when the hose meets the 3 pin connection at the rear of the device and that all appears to be visually ok too.

Any ideas as to what may be going on here?

The unit is out of warranty unfortunately.

Thank-you so much in advance,

JP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 climate control only on momentarily enabled
Did you try replacing the humidifier?
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am making a wild guess about this. The heated hose for the S( is different from the heated hose for the newer series of machines. I do not know if they can be physically interchanged or not. I know they will not work if put on the wrong machine. Thai is a link to the S9 heated hose. 
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr...x-oxy.html

I hope this helps.

Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Walla Walla and Gerry, many thanks for your reply.

I think we may have to go down the avenue of replacing the humidifier. We were hoping we could get away with a quick-fix, but doesn't appear so.

Gerry, i believe that hose in the link is in fact the hose that we are using on this particular S9.

Thanks again for your help.

JP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another observation i made today was that when i re-connected the heating tube for the first time after switching the S9 on, i could see that it was definitely connected and confirmed on the screen (both the temperature gauge and water drop were present). I then decided to try and "warm up" the tubing but this time at a temperature lower than room temperature (room temp. was 24 degrees C). I set it to 19 degrees C and i received a successful pass, the "warm up" bar reached the end with no faults along the way.
It was only when i applied a temperature setting above room temp. that i received the same error as yesterday = humidifier fault, replace humidifier.

Dunno if this information will help, but thought i should add it in.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day jeanpaul6150. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Quite by coincidence I am experiencing the same problem with the same symptoms. Luckily I got an extended warranty (5 years) with my machine so Resmed have agreed to repair it or replace the humidifier. Because I had the extended warranty I've been supplied with a replacement machine (current model) in the meantime while they sort out what they're doing.

It might be worth confirming with your friend that his machine is actually out of warranty and that he didn't get five years. If not, the easiest path is probably to purchase a new H5i. Some of the on-line stores still sell them - try Supplier #2, who is currently advertising one (pre-owned but with a new water chamber) for US$90. Alternatively you might have a look on Gumtree.
Post Reply Post Reply
In relation to the hoses, the S9 heated hose will definitely not fit the newer model AirSense 10 series (and vice versa). The connector is quite different.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 960 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 245 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  CPAP Does Not Control Small Chokes Buitlear 27 1,915 12-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Buitlear
  Airsense 11 flashing Climate Line Connected DaveHirschler 4 1,855 08-28-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP CONTROL srlevine1 2 433 07-18-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.