Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Resmed airsense 10 with F20 full face mask
Resmed airsense 10 with F20 full face mask
Hi fellow snorers !!
I started using Resmed Airsense 10 (APAP) last year. I couldn't get adjusted to it so stopped using it only to pick it up recently per my physician's suggestion. Currently using Resmed F20 (Silicon cushion)
I have been using it since Feb 23 regularly. My observation is that the mask fit is great before I fall sleep while lying down. In the middle of the night, there is whistling sound from either right or left cheek as if air is trying to escape. Typically pressure at that point is anywhere between 11 to 13 (starts with 5 when I turn on the m/c). I reset the machine at that point & it happens again in sometime.
So I am not sure what's happening that's causing mask to start leaking after 2-3 hours of sleep.
1) Is mask moving as I sometimes tend to move during sleep
2) Is pressure too high for mask to handle - Sleep study recommended a pressure of 7 and machine automatically goes as high as 12-13. Could that be the problem ?

I researched a lot on Resmed's site and I have followed all advice regarding cleaning, washing , trying to stay on the back etc. but nothing is working consistently. Sleep score is usually 90. Lost points are mainly because of the leak. AHI is 1.5, Mask adjustment is typically 1-2 times.

Appreciate your thoughts. Most of the folks I talked / read about had a lot smaller learning curve and they are EXTREMELY happy with the results. I honestly don't see any visible differences but hopefully I don't stop breathing as much as I used to without the CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed airsense 10 with F20 full face mask
I doubt the pressure is the problem. My experience with the F20 is that it is not tolerant of side sleeping or movements that tug the air tubing and so shift the mask. Are you starting on your back and awakening on your side? You may do best with a pillow firm enough for the mask to hang off of. Personally I find strap wraps stabilize the mask too, and my preference is the “i“ mask line since the tube connector is on the top of the head, and so is less likely to shift the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try a liner like Remzzz or even make your own out of t-shirt or sock material.  I too had trouble with the headgear straps when side sleeping and they make contact with and "drag" on the pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like sleeping on the side but with the mask I trained myself to be on my back. So these days I am on my back all the time. I also got a pillow for CPAP side sleepers. Basically it has a strap to hold the tube so that it won't drag against the regular pillow. 
Liner is an interesting idea. Let me google it on how to make one with t-shirt & sock !!
My AHI is consistently good but I am sure the leakage is reducing the therapy effectiveness ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2023, 05:03 PM)SoundSleeper99 Wrote: Hi fellow snorers !!
I started using Resmed Airsense 10 (APAP) last year. I couldn't get adjusted to it so stopped using it only to pick it up recently per my physician's suggestion. Currently using Resmed F20 (Silicon cushion)
I have been using it since Feb 23 regularly. My observation is that the mask fit is great before I fall sleep while lying down. In the middle of the night, there is whistling sound from either right or left cheek as if air is trying to escape. Typically pressure at that point is anywhere between 11 to 13 (starts with 5 when I turn on the m/c). I reset the machine at that point & it happens again in sometime.
So I am not sure what's happening that's causing mask to start leaking after 2-3 hours of sleep.
1) Is mask moving as I sometimes tend to move during sleep
2) Is pressure too high for mask to handle - Sleep study recommended a pressure of 7 and machine automatically goes as high as 12-13. Could that be the problem ?

I researched a lot on Resmed's site and I have followed all advice regarding cleaning, washing , trying to stay on the back etc. but nothing is working consistently. Sleep score is usually 90. Lost points are mainly because of the leak. AHI is 1.5, Mask adjustment is typically 1-2 times.

Appreciate your thoughts. Most of the folks I talked / read about had a lot smaller learning curve and they are EXTREMELY happy with the results. I honestly don't see any visible differences but hopefully I don't stop breathing as much as I used to without the CPAP.

Hi, I use the Resmed F20 mask also but I use the foam cushions and they seem to seal better. I also sleep on my side. I have had that trouble with leaking like you have. The only problem I have is that if I drool the foam gets wet and tends to leak some. I would give the foam cushions a try and see if that helps. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't sleep on my back to save my life. I too, used an F20 and I'm a die-hard side sleeper. No problems with the F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F20 Airtouch (foam) mask and am a slide sleeper---almost tuck my nose down. It stays put! It does have to be adjusted pretty tight. The F20 silicon mask doesn't work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 22 421 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,806 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 618 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,802 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.