Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Respironics REMStar System One Series 60 Repair
Gross 
Respironics REMStar System One Series 60 Repair
About 5:30 AM this morning, I woke up and adjusted my mask and suddenly my CPAP shut off. It beeped, came back on, the motor kicked on for a fraction of a second, and repeated. That occurred 3 or 4 times before a series of beeping continued and a message on the screen showed "service required." 

The CPAP itself is about 5-6 years old but it hasn't seen but a few months of actual usage so I was surprised. It's been in its case and on a shelf indoors for the entirety of its life.

I found a video on YouTube where a guy took it apart and used compressed air to blow on the pressure sensors. I did that but didn't have any compressed air on hand so I used a basketball pin pump and positioned the pin over the sensors and pumped it to give me some kind of clean air stream.

I connected it all back together and it started to work again. I had to head to work so I didn't get to play with it much but is this a common issue and anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics REMStar System One Series 60 Repair
Dust can clog up a lot of electronics. If your machine is on the floor, putting it up a couple of feet may reduce dust intake.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
and speaking of repairs...  a new territory for me - if you have a machine that is out of warranty but not 5 years old (the number to reach for replacement) and you are under Medicare what are the rules for repair and maintenance (not supplies) if needed.  Is the DME supposed to provide and Medicare pays?
Complicate it further with a second 2 part question - If answer to first question is yes - what if the machine was acquired a) prior to going under Medicare, and b) from a different DME?
Inquiring minds would like to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you'd need to check with them.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
This is about a Respironix M seriese cpap.  I no longer use it
but would like to fix the power switch which sometimes is hard
to turn on or off. How in the world do you open that case ?
Oh when I flipped it on it's back I saw 6 screws but taking them
off just exposes some power board and the back of the humidifier.
As I said I don't need it but would like it fixed but don't see how to
get to that switch which I bet just needs cleaning.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the machine was purchased by Medicare, yes, they will fix it without further documentation because medical need was already established.  To get it repaired already owning it, you would have to go through much of the same process you need to get a new machine. You are entitled to a new machine once you are on Medicare, apparently, whether yours is 5 years old or not (yeah, surprised me). Knowing the odd way Medicare applies its rules, if you have your device fixed at this time, that may prevent you from getting a new machine for another 5 years.  So, I'd talk to an approved DME as to how rules apply for a fix.    Doesn't matter if it is a different DME so long as it is one approved for your area (keep in mind that you may be in a competitive bid area which severely restricts your choices).  You may be better off sending the machine to one of the repair suppliers at the link above and getting it fixed yourself for a backup while applying to get a new machine.

Note: Medicare will accept a sleep study that is not more than 10 years old. So, you don't necessarily need a new one to get a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2017, 10:16 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: ... Knowing the odd way Medicare applies its rules, if you have your device fixed at this time, that may prevent you from getting a new machine for another 5 years.  ...

Hoping for all you Americans using Medicare that this is not the case.  Repairing a say 4 year old machine seems silly that it would then have to work for another 5 years in order for you to qualify for another machine.  Technology advances CPAP machines soooo much in that kind of timeframe.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,184 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,368 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.