Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP, Respronics Vs. ResMed?
CPAP, Respronics Vs. ResMed?
When I was diagnosed, and until my Px was filled by my DME, I did a lot of research and reading about CPAP. At the time, I felt like the S9 was the best way for me. So, the day I went to my DME, I was told they did not carried Resmed, and only carried Respronics, and that it was an insurance thing? So, I took the latter. My Px called for a heated hose, but the RT said I did not need a heated hose? So, I still feel cheated by not getting an S9.

I am still having problems adapting to the nasal pillows and nasal mask. But, I hope with time and the right mask I will conform to the CPAP. When I am asleep, I sleep great. But, I wake often and mostly due to mask problems. And, I do feel better than I have in years.

Feel deprived and confused.... Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP, Respronics Vs. ResMed?
Both companies make great machines. The difference is how the present the data on the screen.

There is a x60 that can work with the heated hose, but I can't recall which one accepts it.

The heated hose is not a treatment bit, it's a comfort issue. It prevents what is called rainout, which is the water in the humid air condenses inside the hose, runs down and pools. When enough of it pools, it then makes a really loud gurgle. If your bedroom is cooler than the air from the humidifier, rainout happens.

So in part, the DME was right in saying you don't *need* it, but on the other hand, it's not for them to decide. It's your choice. If your manual talks about the hose, then ask for one again, telling them you want it.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't had a heated hose, and I have never had rainout to speak of.

Perfectly happy with my philips brick. Can't speak about the the Resmeds, but they make a great mask....
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 05:42 PM)markleathers Wrote: When I was diagnosed, and until my Px was filled by my DME, I did a lot of research and reading about CPAP. At the time, I felt like the S9 was the best way for me. So, the day I went to my DME, I was told they did not carried Resmed, and only carried Respronics, and that it was an insurance thing? So, I took the latter. My Px called for a heated hose, but the RT said I did not need a heated hose? So, I still feel cheated by not getting an S9.
tell the DME to get the machine you want or you take your business elsewhere
you can use any DME on the insurance approved list

your machine 460 can be used with the heated tube humidifier and heated tube also a different power supply needed

if script specify heated hose, they should include it and none of their business to tell otherwise
humidity is more than just comfort feature, its part and parcel of the therapy
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 06:10 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Both companies make great machines. The difference is how the present the data on the screen.

There is a x60 that can work with the heated hose, but I can't recall which one accepts it.

Ironically enough I used a heated hose with the RemStar SE.
Unfortunately as most people know it wasn't good for much else.
If the keys didn't stick when I tried to use them I never would have been able to get rid of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 06:48 PM)wilorg Wrote: I haven't had a heated hose, and I have never had rainout to speak of.

Perfectly happy with my philips brick. Can't speak about the the Resmeds, but they make a great mask....

You need humidity to get rain-out ... You wouldn't get much of that in those mountains would you wilorg?

Not having a centrally heated house I use the heated hose to take the cold edge to the air in winter.... not that you would call our 0DEG C that cold by world standards.

Through summer I find I don't even need the humidifier... so no rainout then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity? What's that? Actually, Zurich can be very humid - we are built around a very big lake, and of course, we have LOTS of water - a good example, in the summer, of how bad it can be, at 24C most people are sweating bullets and complaining about the heat -by 27C it is considered a boiling day. I left that to go to Tuscany for an event in 34C temperatures - I wore a full suit and tie and didn't sweat a drop, it was so dry there - didn't even really feel the heat. So, yes, we have humidity here - perhaps not at the same level as a coastal venue, but humid enough to make a difference (and to promote a real mould problem in the city - they just checked my flat for it (none, but I am very careful about such things air the flat at least twice a day, clean all surfaces with hot steam, etc) and they told me horror stories about other flats - so I would conclude from that humidity is a greater problem than some think....

Rainout,so I am given to understand, also depends on hose placement. Putting your hose in the right configuration can minimise rainout.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try 70-80 inches of rain a year. Smile
Big problem instead is mold.
I only get a few drops of moisture in the hose when it's really cold
below 60 degrees (cold being a relative thing & all)

Big Grin
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 05:42 PM)markleathers Wrote: When I was diagnosed, and until my Px was filled by my DME, I did a lot of research and reading about CPAP. At the time, I felt like the S9 was the best way for me. So, the day I went to my DME, I was told they did not carried Resmed, and only carried Respronics, and that it was an insurance thing? So, I took the latter. My Px called for a heated hose, but the RT said I did not need a heated hose? So, I still feel cheated by not getting an S9.

Not being able to get ResMed because of insurance was a lie.

Dispensing without the heated hose is probably illegal. They can refuse to fill the prescription, but they can't change it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2013, 02:18 PM)archangle Wrote: Dispensing without the heated hose is probably illegal. They can refuse to fill the prescription, but they can't change it.

Actually my S9 came without the heated hose - I had to request it afterwards.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 54 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 759 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,452 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
Question [CPAP] Resmed AS 11 CPAP Help DisgruntledNihilist 4 550 07-07-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: DisgruntledNihilist
  air leakshi, I write from Italy. I use a resmed airsense 10 cpap at pressure 13 and a papaste 3 662 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: burgess4321
  [Pressure] New to CPAP - Need help with pressure settings (ResMed 10 AutoSet) PressurisedPete 6 1,090 12-05-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: PressurisedPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.