Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] S9 Autoset vs S9 Escape
S9 Autoset vs S9 Escape
Hi all,

Before I spend a large sum (£650+) on an Resmed autoset machine, could anyone reassure me that buying an Autoset machine will benefit me in a noticable way, is there anyone on the forum that has gone from CPAP to a varible pressure type machine and believes they have done the right thing?

Has anyone any thoughts on the new S10 machine?

Thank you

Oberland56
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 Autoset vs S9 Escape
The S9 Autoset is better because it is a fully data-capable machine, the S9 Escape is not. With the S9 Autoset, you can either set a range or make it a single-pressure CPAP machine, 2 machines in one.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your goal for switching from straight to auto? Because in order to know if there is a benefit we need to know the goal.

For me I switched from straight CPAP to BIPAP which was a success for me as the goal was to lower my pressure as often as I could. So going from 18 all the time to 13/18 was a benefit for me.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2014, 06:13 PM)oberland56 Wrote: Before I spend a large sum (£650+) on an Resmed autoset machine, could anyone reassure me that buying an Autoset machine will benefit me in a noticable way, is there anyone on the forum that has gone from CPAP to a varible pressure type machine and believes they have done the right thing?

Hi Oberland56,
Welcome to the forum!

Technically, I have not migrated from CPAP to Auto, but after analyzing my results for some time now, I can certainly say the following:

1. I have a problem with Aerophagia (air swallowing). This problem becomes worse the higher the pressure goes. So it is of benefit for me to lower the average treatment pressure as much as possible.

2. As pressures increase, leaks become more difficult to control, and more likely to disturb sleep when they do occur. So it is of benefit for me to lower the average treatment pressure as much as possible.

3. Since my machine is an Autoset, my average pressure is much lower that it would be using any fixed-pressure machine.

As long as I avoid sleeping on my back, I can usually keep the average pressure down in the 10 - 11 range. It is not uncommon for my maximum pressure to be below 13, and often it is only that high for brief moments. If I do roll onto my back, the pressure needed may shoot up into the 18 - 20 range (rarely happens now), and still may not be enough to counter all the apneas. If I were forced to choose a single fixed pressure, it would have to be up around 17 or 18.

How do I know all this? Because the S9 Autoset is a fully data-capable machine, that delivers detailed therapy data moment-by-moment all night long. I use the free, open-source program SleepyHead to examine that data, to monitor and adjust my therapy as needed.

Your S9 Escape does not deliver any data but time used, commonly referred to as "compliance data", as this is what insurance companies use to determine whether or not they will pay. On this forum, such machines are often referred to as "bricks".

If I were starting over again to choose a machine, I would have 2 requirements above all others:

1) The machine must deliver full therapy data. Without that data, you are flying blind, trying to assess your therapy with questions like "How do you feel?".

2) The machine must be auto-adjusting for pressure. Any autoset-type machine can be set to operate at a fixed pressure if that is what works best for someone. So it is like having 2 machines in one. Often, an Autoset-type machine is used to assess what pressure to recommend for a particular patient. Having your own auto machine means you can repeat that test at any time.

Pressure needs change: you gain some weight, or lose some weight, your allergies kick up a fuss, you get a cold, etc. An APAP can adjust for any of these changes. No single-pressure machine can do that. And you'll never know if there is a problem or not if the machine is a brick.

Here is a link to an article about choosing a machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

I hope this helps you decide what you want to do.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2014, 06:13 PM)oberland56 Wrote: Before I spend a large sum (£650+) on an Resmed autoset machine, could anyone reassure me that buying an Autoset machine will benefit me in a noticable way, is there anyone on the forum that has gone from CPAP to a varible pressure type machine and believes they have done the right thing?

I went from a fixed pressure machine to a auto-adjusting machine and it's a huge improvement.

The S9 Escape is a fixed pressure machine that does not collect useful data.
The S9 Elite is a fixed pressure machine that does collect useful data.
The S9 Autoset is a an auto-adjusting machine (collects useful data).

If you want to compromise see how much they charge for the Elite. The Escape is absolutely out of the question. Do not buy it. You'll regret it if you do because without the data you have no way of knowing the effectiveness of your therapy.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Going with a data capable machine is a foregone conclusion. Whatever machine you buy should be data capable.

But you don't have to pay what you suggest just to get data capability, you could get that for about the same price as data capable machines.

For the price you suggest you could not only get data capable auto, you could get data capable auto bipap. Is auto better than fixed, sure depending on what you are shooting for it may be. As becker points out he gets a lower pressure from his auto, and higher only when he needs it. If he had to do it again and he asked here I would suggest he go bipap as I did. I was set at 18 fixed that meant 18 all the time. Had I went auto I may have gotten 17-20 on auto but that's it. I went bipap due to good advice I got here and now I get 13 exhale which is two times as long as inhale time, and 16-20 during in hale. So my pressure is now much lower than I ever could get on just auto. So now i spend at least half my night at 13 and my other half between 16 and 20. Much better for me.

So I think you need to decide your goals and then go from there.

Keep in mind there are many good used machines out there that could save you a whole lot of money. My bipap I got used and paid less than $400 for a bipap auto.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2014, 06:13 PM)oberland56 Wrote: Hi all,

Before I spend a large sum (£650+) on an Resmed autoset machine, could anyone reassure me that buying an Autoset machine will benefit me in a noticable way, is there anyone on the forum that has gone from CPAP to a varible pressure type machine and believes they have done the right thing?

Has anyone any thoughts on the new S10 machine?

Thank you

Oberland56

No doubt about it, money well spent
AutoSet does both CPAP mode and AutoSet mode .... two machines in one
You get full data on both modes, the Escape been discussed in your other thread

btw, its not called S10, its AirSense 10 AutoSet or in short A10 AutoSet
I've used both machines and if I have to pick one, ... S9 AutoSet
But others might pick A10 AutoSet

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 106 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Getting data off a Resmed Escape II Gralli 3 432 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Gralli
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,861 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,237 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.