Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] S9 - How to get my vpap S9 to send a cold blow of air?
RE: S9 - How to get my vpap S9 to send a cold blow of air?
Increasing the humidity increases the temperature of the air.

What happens if you turn the knob to the right after turning the machine on?

There are some other settings for humidifier heat and heated hose that should give you more control over the heat if the knob doesn't do the trick. I don't have a heated hose, so I'm not entirely sure about all the options for heated hose control.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2012, 10:22 AM)Chingling Wrote: Humidity is set to 3.5.
You can use the climateline instead and set the climate control on auto
You can set temp to preference and it protects against rainout

ClimateLine user instructions
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

H5 humidifier guide
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
The link to the climateline seems to imply that the menu changes when you simply install the climateline. Mine didn't - i don't see the options to change the temperature. Am i doing something wrong?

Increasing the humidity seemed to have helped but it still gets cold when i wake up in the morning. The air is now cold and the water in the humidifier is also cold.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chingling, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm not sure about the answer to your question but hang in there and Someone will be able to help you soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to put this simply. Not that I believe you are an idiot, but I want to make sure you understand how this works so you can figure out how to set it properly for yourself.

The humidifier on your CPAP heats up the water in the tank. This heat turns the water into steam. It is not a hot steam like you get from boiling water, more like the steam when you run the hot water from the faucet.

This warm, moist air travels up the tube into your mask and into you. This helps to prevent drying of the nasal passages during the night.

However, in a cold room, the temperature of this warm air drops and the steam, what little there is, reforms into bigger droplets of water which them fall out of the moving air and stays on the inside of the hose. This is what we refer to as 'rain out'. Too much water in the hose can cause a gurgling sound which is amplified by the hose.

What the climateline does is heat up the hose itself so the air maintains its warmth and the steam continues all the way to your mask.

This is similar to what happens when you take a cold soda can out of the refrigerator, except it happens on the outside of the can, vs the inside of your hose. The surface of the can is colder than the temperature of the room and condensation from the air around it forms water on the outside of the can. This is why some folks use those can covers. It helps to shield the exterior of the cold can from the warmth of the room and keep condensation from forming.

The S9 can be set up so that there is either one setting that controls both the humidifier and the climateline (automatic setting) and another set of settings where the temp of the humidifier and the temp of the hose can be individually set (manual setting). You can change which setting by going into the clinician's menu. If you do not have the clinician's manual, you can get it here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Scroll down to Section Three which is slightly more than halfway down the page.

Since your bedroom is so cold, you need to set the temp of the climateline rather high in order to keep the moisture in the air going to your mask rather than forming on the inside of the hose. What that setting will be, I don't know. In your case, it's not the humid air you are wanting, but warm air so you aren't having an air conditioner blowing into your nose. If it were not so cold, you probably would not need a humidifier at all if your area is so humid already. I don't recommend using the climateline without water in the tank. It can cause sinus issues without that moisture present. It will take some fiddling to get it right. You may want to sit up in your bed for a few hours during the day and read a book while you mess with it to see how it goes rather than ruin a night's sleep doing it.

If the water is cold in the morning, then something is wrong with your humidifier. Mine is slightly warmer than tepid and the bottom of the machine itself is very warm.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2012, 08:18 PM)Chingling Wrote: The link to the climateline seems to imply that the menu changes when you simply install the climateline. Mine didn't - i don't see the options to change the temperature. Am i doing something wrong?
[Image: img_climatelinetube.jpg]
In the clinical menu (options) you can set the climate control on auto, manual or patient (it gives the option from the home screen either auto or manual). The orange cuff of the climate line goes into the humidifier air outlet, pushed all the way and turned until it click in place.
If set on auto ... you only set temp to preference (default setting 27C-80F)
If set on manual ... You set humidity and temp independently
Try the warming up feature (takes about 10mins) It warm up the water so the air doesn't feel cold when you start treatment
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to everyone! PaulaO2 - your explanation of how the system works is great! I appreciate the "explain it to me as if i were a child" approach and this helped a lot.

Zonk your comment on the climateline and the lack of the photograph of a thermometer in my screen raised a flag. So i took a careful look at the machine and sure enough, saw that the climateline hose was not turned all the way in until it "clicked"! voila - "climate line enabled" or something to that effect showed up, and the thermometer showed up. I will test this tonight and report back tomorrow!!!

Yahoo... hope this helps and i don't get a cold nose in the morning!

I have another question cuz my pulmonologist now wants me to connect some oxygen to the machine. Does the S9 have the capability of running some oxygen from either a tank or an oxygen concentrator through it? Is there a machine that does? It might be a topic for another thread and if so, can someone move this question to another thread?

I so appreciate this forum. I have been a CPAP user in the Philippines for ummmm maybe 6 or 8 years and started with a big REspironics machine, moved to the M series (had 2 of them) and now am with the S9. Made these decisions blindly and through a bit of research through sellers' websites... and moved from gel nose masks to pillows also through trial and error. Very expensive exercises since there is no insurance in Asia covering CPAP treatment! So thank you for all of your very generous information everyone!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
You will need a valve that goes between the hose and the machine. It has an outlet for the oxygen hose to be connected to it.

The valve only allows air to go in one direction which keeps the pumped-in oxygen from collecting inside the machine and going boom. Slim, slim chance of that happening but in this day and age of lawsuits, they cover their assets.

Supplier #1 calls it "Oxygen Enrichment Adapter" and it is just $6. Whoever will be providing the oxygen machine thing will probably have the valve.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks PaulaO2 for the recommendation to the oxygen enrichment adaptor. just ordered a couple of these.

Now can i bother the forum for another question. How do you decide on the best size of a nasal pillow. I've tried medium, small and xtra small and they all seem to fit well! Cant really tell the difference - but maybe it's cuz i've switched only when the current pillow got so soft it developed leaks. I never tried the M, S, XS when they were all new. for all i know the L or XL may work well also! I have a small oriental nose i think.
By the way, the climate line hose now works well and i no longer have cold air freezing my nose in the morning! Thanks to everyone for all their recommendations! I've just ordered a new one in case it breaks down so i have a spare. They're expensive!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chingling, Great to hear you got your situation with the humidity and the climateline hose resolved, CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,241 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 789 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 524 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.