Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] S9 Resmed auto setting not working
RE: S9 Resmed auto setting not working

"Now if you get up out of bed or decide to lay awake for some time, as you said 15 minutes, maybe it's a good idea to turn the machine off so it's not skewing your data."

Does this mean that if you lie awake for an hour trying to get to sleep with the mask on, that it will skew your data? I have had AHI's of less than 5 every nite since I started, but I do lie awake when going to bed for an hour or so.Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 05:31 PM)Paptillian Wrote:
(07-23-2013, 05:09 PM)gogailg5 Wrote: I see. However I noticed that the your wake time impacts ur AGO. If u lie awake for 15 minutes it will lower it AGO. I wake up several times a night. So I use numbers of events

You're right that if you have periods of wakefulness your data will show a lower overall AHI. However, without time as a frame of reference, the total event count doesn't mean anything.

I wake up several times a night myself, to turn around / change positions or whatever. Most people probably do, especially coming out of REM sleep. I wouldn't worry about that... I don't think AHI has to be super accurate.

Now if you get up out of bed or decide to lay awake for some time, as you said 15 minutes, maybe it's a good idea to turn the machine off so it's not skewing your data.

Ok. Right now my setting is 7.5 AHI 4.2. Tonight I will try 7.6. And like someone suggested...take it slow.
Has anyone heard of COAL?
Post Reply Post Reply
I meant...has anyone heard of COAL?
(07-23-2013, 05:47 PM)gogailg5 Wrote: I meant...has anyone heard of COAL?

No VPAP! Ahug spellcheck
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2013, 05:39 PM)oak Wrote: Does this mean that if you lie awake for an hour trying to get to sleep with the mask on, that it will skew your data?

Strictly speaking, yes. This is where using software to look at the detailed data for the entire session is helpful. You can discount the parts of the data that you know you were awake and just look at how things went during the time when you were asleep.

Don't worry too much about it though. Let's run through some sample numbers so you can see the effect. Let's say you were using CPAP for a total of 7 hours and got an overall AHI of 5. That means there were a total of 7x5=35 events during the session. Now, assume all of those events only happened while you were asleep, and you slept for only 6 hours (ie. you were lying awake for 1 hour). That means your "true" AHI is actually 35 events in 6 hours, or an AHI of 35/6 = 5.8. So there's not a huge difference here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 94 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 151 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 376 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,179 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,330 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.