Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] S9 device since December 28
Gross 
S9 device since December 28
Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to posting and I would like to know how most people feel after using the CPAP? I've been wearing mine since December 28, 2012 and I feel more tired now than before. I even purchased the CPAP sleep aid pillow to help me. Once in a while, I'll go back to my old habit of sleeping without the mask and using my real pillows (feather). My husband has to go sleep in another room because he says my snooring is too loud for him when I do so.

My humidity level is at 5 which is the max. I've changed my mask 4 times because of leakages. The leakage seems to have subsided compared to the first couple of times.

I go to sleep at 10 at night and wake up at 5:45 from Monday to Friday. When I get to sleep in on the weekends, I usually wake up around noonish or so! and that's going to bed around 10 at night as well! On Saturday, for example, I went to bed at 9 (10 for DST) and woke up at 12:30 on Sunday. I waste most of my time sleeping.

I never have any energy.

I don't wake up during the night unless my mask is leaking profusely, that's when I'm sleeping on my stomach. I don't eat and/or drink after 7pm.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: S9 device since December 28
Well your still new at this; it takes time to become accustomed to the therapy. Under no circumstances should you quit using the CPAP; the consequences of this are terminal. As my sleep doc told be years ago "one morning you'll awake up dead". How is your sleep hygiene? What is it you do before going to bed?

Side-bar: I doubt that your pressure is really 45; that much would blow the mask off your face or cause your head to pop.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the reply. My doctor did not mention anything about this being terminal if I went without the mask. I will ask her when I go see her tomorrow for sleep follow-up. So, what you're saying is that it's ok to feel tired. How long did it take you to adjust? You've been on this for a long time.

As for the hygiene, I do what a normal person would do, wash, brush teeth, brush hair, wash mask as well, fill machine with distilled water and then put on mask, and fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow. (Well! normal for me that is).

Oh and I changed the pressure to 15. My mistake, thank you for noticing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try googling "sleep hygiene". You really should not be feeling tired at this point. I really don't remember how long it took to feel rested; I just remember not falling asleep behind the wheel or at my desk within weeks of starting the therapy.

Oh, and I quit snoring and not breathing during the night (my wife no longer had to wake me up and tell me to breathe). Although, my wife did start complaining about having to sleep in a wind tunnel. Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linepl61,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I encourage you to keep sticking with it, yes it is common to feel tired for a while after starting CPAP therapy and you haven't been at it that long, though it may seem like a lifetime, (Ha-Ha.).
You might have to try a few more masks 'till you find just the right one for you. The mask is the hardest part of the therapy, PATIENCE IS REQUIRED.!
Best of luck to you and just hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi trish6hundred,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it does feel like a long time. I purchased the mask and the machine from VitalAire and she said that the 4th trial was my last trial. I tightened the sides and it's not that bad. I just have to hide the marks that it leaves on each side of my nose. It only leaks when I'm sleeping on my stomach. Have to learn to sleep on my side or my back.

Will keep at it though!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PollCat,

I will google the sleep hygiene, thanks. Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to take minutes and try to stay awake at the same time. Borrrring!!! I drink very cold water when I need to stay awake and mostly alert.

I hade my machine at my head and moved it to my side and I find that the noise has leasened! They say that it sounds like waves. Don't know where they took that sound from but it's far from what they're saying.

From what my husband was telling me, I still snore and apparently the same as before. I'll discuss this with my doc and see if she needs to change my therapy.

Thank you for all the great advise and take care.
Line
Post Reply Post Reply
linepl61, why are you wearing a full face mask? Nasal masks are less prone to leaking.

I don't think sleep hygiene is an issue for you as you have no trouble sleeping.

How effective is your therapy? Can you tell from looking at your data what AHI and leak rates are? If your leak rate is above 24 L/min for significant amounts of time, or your AHI is above 5 on a significant number of nights, that could be a sign that your machine or mask needs to be adjusted.

If your machine is not effectively controlling your sleep apnea then that would explain why you feel so tired all the time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepster,

I tried the nasal mask and I apparently open my mouth when I sleep.

From what I can tell, my leak rate is above the 24 L/min 9 times during the month of Feb. My AI is above 5@11 times during Feb data. The AHI is above 5@9 times.

After trying 4 masks, my rep said that this was it. No more trials so I make due with what I have. Trying different adjustments with the straps.

Not sure what everything means at this point with the AHI & AI and the 95th percentile but learning as I'm going along.

Thanks for the reply! Line
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 07:58 AM)linepl61 Wrote: Hi Sleepster,

I tried the nasal mask and I apparently open my mouth when I sleep.

From what I can tell, my leak rate is above the 24 L/min 9 times during the month of Feb. My AI is above 5@11 times during Feb data. The AHI is above 5@9 times.

After trying 4 masks, my rep said that this was it. No more trials so I make due with what I have. Trying different adjustments with the straps.

Not sure what everything means at this point with the AHI & AI and the 95th percentile but learning as I'm going along.

Thanks for the reply! Line

I thought the ResMED S9 Elite adjusted the pressure automatically ?

Sorry meant to post for Sleepster! Newbee mistake!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,041 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 365 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 327 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 355 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice pamphlet 7 896 09-16-2023, 02:10 AM
Last Post: pamphlet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.