Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] S9 device since December 28
RE: S9 device since December 28
(03-12-2013, 08:41 AM)slowik1 Wrote: I thought the ResMED S9 Elite adjusted the pressure automatically ?

"Elite" is the data-capable non-automatic S9.

The automatic pressure adjusting equivalent is called "AutoSet".

The automatic pressure adjusting non-data capable model (brick) is called "Escape Auto".

The "Elite" is a really good machine, it just doesn't change pressure on its own.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 08:54 AM)jgjones1972 Wrote:
(03-12-2013, 08:41 AM)slowik1 Wrote: I thought the ResMED S9 Elite adjusted the pressure automatically ?

"Elite" is the data-capable non-automatic S9.

The automatic pressure adjusting equivalent is called "AutoSet".

The automatic pressure adjusting non-data capable model (brick) is called "Escape Auto".

The "Elite" is a really good machine, it just doesn't change pressure on its own.

Thank You! I checked and I have the Autoset (and it's set on Autoset) so I guess I have that feature working. One other thing the water in the humidification container never gets warm. Is it supposed to or is that part of the machine broken? Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi linepl61!
Welcome to the forum!

I have been using CPAP since October and I am just starting to feel like I am recovering from sleep deprivation.
Everyone's mileage will vary.
Some get immediate relief. Some folks take a bit longer.
Some other folks have the doctor throw a machine at them with "Here. Use this every night."
A bit of fine tuning might be in order.
If everything were simple there would not be any forum like this, would there?

By all means stay on it and keep talking / sharing.
Someone else here knows how you feel!

Never give up. Never surrender, and never ever back down unless it is morally wrong to do so!

Good luck and hang in there!

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 11:02 AM)slowik1 Wrote: One other thing the water in the humidification container never gets warm. Is it supposed to or is that part of the machine broken? Thanks in advance.

It could be broken; or, may be turned off or set low. What are your settings?

Do you use a ClimateLine (heated hose)? Is Climate Control set to "Auto"? If using a ClimateLine and Climate Control is set to auto, then you should see an icon on the main screen that looks like a water drop and thermometer right next to each other.

If you use a Climateline but it is set to manual, then there will be two different icons; the thermometer and water drop are separate.

If you don't use a Climateline, then you will only have one icon - a water drop.

What icon/icons do you have on the main screen?

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't use a heated hose (have the slimline version hose) and just a water droplet as a visual (no thermometer)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 02:30 PM)slowik1 Wrote: Don't use a heated hose (have the slimline version hose) and just a water droplet as a visual (no thermometer)

If you turn the knob until the water drop is highlighted and click on it, the screen will show you the humidity level setting. It could be set to "OFF", which means the heating plate will not warm the water at all; or it could be set to 1 through 5 with 1 warming the water the least and 5 heating the water the most.

To test to make sure the heating plate is working, set the humidity to 5, then take the water chamber out and (while on the humidity settings screen) hold the knob button down for a few seconds until it starts pre-warming. Wait a few seconds and hold your hand over the plate (just over it, don't touch it) and you should feel heat coming from it.

As a side note; if it wasn't warming before because it was turned off or set too low and you decide to raise the humidity level, be careful about raising it too much. If set too high for the temp in your room, you could get "rain out" which is water condensation in the hose.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll check now but I remember it was at 3.5 for a humidification level and no heat. Sounds like UPS may be getting some business. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much Shastzi for the vote of confidence.

I did go see the doctor at the Sleep clinic and now they're going to test me on day sleep exercises. She said that I should have started feeling less tired by now. She also said that it doesn't matter if my mask is leaking, it took care of the apnea.

She also assured me that it's not fatal when a person decides to sleep without the mask.

The problem in my case is not sleep deprivation. I sleep like a rock. My longest sleeping time with the mask on is 14 hours. I told her that my eyes are so heavy, that it's hard to open them when I wake up (during my long sleeping periods). My average time is usually around 8 hours of sleep and I wake up tired, am tired most of the day but will sometime get a burst of energy in the evening.

I'm the type that falls asleep as soon as the light is out and my head hits the pillow. I do have moments when I toss and turn and can't sleep.

I eat my 3 meals a day, I take vitamin C and D and a multi vitamin as well. Trying to cut down on cafeine by drinking decaf. Cut down on Coke and junk food. Drink water and tea during the day! Will start walking with my dog when the weather permits.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2013, 07:14 AM)linepl61 Wrote: She also assured me that it's not fatal when a person decides to sleep without the mask.

Maybe not directly, but if you fall asleep while driving because you did not get quality sleep the previous night - the results could be just as fatal.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PollCat,

That's a good point, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,035 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 363 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 404 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 352 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice pamphlet 7 896 09-16-2023, 02:10 AM
Last Post: pamphlet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.