Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Safety Question
CPAP Safety Question
I have been struggling with a swollen thyroid which gets irritated by the CPAP. I am hoping to have my thyroid removed and I am waiting for the doctor to get back to me.

Is it safe for me to continue using the CPAP? I wake up with a swollen throat, tongue and raspy voice which seems to improve over the course of the day.

I may have a bit of a wait to get thyroid surgery and I can't bare the thought of not using the CPAP while I am waiting. I don't mind a bit of pain as long as my throat doesn't close up on me.

I thought that I could find some good opinions on this is forum.

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Safety Question
Best guess is that the thyroid swelling in the light of confirmed presence of hashimotos antibodies is due to autoimmune flareup and the resulting inflammation of the immune response. Anything you can do to reduce overall inflammation and immune response will help for the short term. Since it is responding unfavorably to CPAP air, perhaps it would have less of a response to a different temperature (warmer, probably) How do you have warmth and humidity set? Herbal anti-inflammatories might help some. NSAIDS might help if you can tolerate them otherwise.

I sympathize - I remember having similar issues, although I was not on PAP til after thyroidectomy.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2015, 04:23 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Best guess is that the thyroid swelling in the light of confirmed presence of hashimotos antibodies is due to autoimmune flareup and the resulting inflammation of the immune response. Anything you can do to reduce overall inflammation and immune response will help for the short term. Since it is responding unfavorably to CPAP air, perhaps it would have less of a response to a different temperature (warmer, probably) How do you have warmth and humidity set? Herbal anti-inflammatories might help some. NSAIDS might help if you can tolerate them otherwise.

I sympathize - I remember having similar issues, although I was not on PAP til after thyroidectomy.

Thanks for the feedback, Daria.

I'm really scared and the endocrinologist is taking his time getting back to me. I have the CPAP set at a humidity of 6. My throat is pretty good right now, however I imagine that it will be bad again in the morning. I don't mind a bit of swelling, I'm just a little scared because it's my throat.

The waiting list for surgery is months here in Ontario and I can't get any sleep without the CPAP. I live alone and this is becoming a bit of a nightmare Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps while you wait for the endocrinologist to finish his golf game you should either phone/visit your GP and ask him/her about this. At least you'll have a medical opinion from someone with all your records until you can confirm with the endo.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2015, 05:06 PM)cate1898 Wrote: Perhaps while you wait for the endocrinologist to finish his golf game you should either phone/visit your GP and ask him/her about this. At least you'll have a medical opinion from someone with all your records until you can confirm with the endo.

That's a good idea - but my Dr. is only in the office a couple days a week. I will try....thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW - mine got jinormous without killing me... the left lobe was 94 grams (about 1/4 lb raw meat... ewwww) when they removed it... it was a baseball sized visible lump in my neck, It moved my trachea off center, and 5 years later I still have loose skin where it used to be.

have they ever biopsied or ultrasounded yours?
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2015, 06:18 PM)DariaVader Wrote: FWIW - mine got jinormous without killing me... the left lobe was 94 grams (about 1/4 lb raw meat... ewwww) when they removed it... it was a baseball sized visible lump in my neck, It moved my trachea off center, and 5 years later I still have loose skin where it used to be.

have they ever biopsied or ultrasounded yours?

Mine used to be huge like yours, but it shrunk a bit after 6 yrs of .88mcg Synthroid. They have done 2 ultrasounds on my goiter - the second one was done about 5 months ago. They also put a camera down my nose about 6 years ago - to see if my throat was in danger of being blocked off. They have never done a biopsy and the ultrasound from June showed that my thyroid was inflamed all over.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2015, 04:09 PM)linn Wrote: I have been struggling with a swollen thyroid which gets irritated by the CPAP. I am hoping to have my thyroid removed and I am waiting for the doctor to get back to me.

Is it safe for me to continue using the CPAP? I wake up with a swollen throat, tongue and raspy voice which seems to improve over the course of the day.

I may have a bit of a wait to get thyroid surgery and I can't bare the thought of not using the CPAP while I am waiting. I don't mind a bit of pain as long as my throat doesn't close up on me.

I thought that I could find some good opinions on this is forum.

Thanks!

This seems to amount to medical advice. My suggestion would be to contact a Dr. if even not your regular for advice. an ENT would be my suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New CPAP user Question mcast10 2 290 01-07-2024, 10:59 AM
Last Post: mcast10
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  NOTICE: FDA Fire Safety Alert Dreamstation 2 Gideon 15 1,253 12-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: kotaKat
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 982 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Question about reliability of the CPAP data zynsa 4 659 08-02-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zynsa
  Resmed Field Safety Notice ckingzzzs 6 995 07-06-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.