Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Contec CMS50F oximeter & SleepyHead
Contec CMS50F oximeter & SleepyHead
We bought a CMS50F oximeter; I used it for the first time last night. It was a bit tricky importing data to SleepyHead. I couldn't figure out how to pull the SP02 file into SleepyHead via the "Import from a datafile saved by another program", but was able to get it via the "Import directly from a recording on the device". Because I was careful to start and stop it at the same time as my CPAP, the data is reasonably well synced. Interesting stuff!

My question here is, does anyone know how to set the oximeter up with more than one profile? My fiance wants to try it tonight for sleep, and he may also want to use it for aviation purposes.

Also, when SleepyHead went to import the data it said something about the device having a different name, and told me to rename it. Anyone know how?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Contec CMS50F oximeter & SleepyHead
(02-18-2016, 09:49 AM)Winterfrost Wrote: I couldn't figure out how to pull the SP02 file into SleepyHead via the "Import from a datafile saved by another program", but was able to get it via the "Import directly from a recording on the device". Because I was careful to start and stop it at the same time as my CPAP, the data is reasonably well synced. Interesting stuff!

My question here is, does anyone know how to set the oximeter up with more than one profile?
Also, when SleepyHead went to import the data it said something about the device having a different name, and told me to rename it. Anyone know how?

Hello. I've been using the 50F with Sleepyhead for about a year. I have found, like you did, that the only reliable way of importing data into SH was by starting the oximeter recording and the CPAP machine at the same time and then using 'Import directly' when you want to download the data.

I don't think you can set up the 50F for more than one user (but the manual is one of the worst I have ever seen) but it won't be relevant anyway. As far as I know the 50F only retains one (max 24hrs) recording - if you stop and then re-start recording, it wipes the previous one. So - you will need to download the 50F data each morning after you've used it (but you can save each day's file on your PC). So your fiancé can use it too whenever he wants but instead (obviously) of importing his data into your Sleepyhead, he just needs to print out his 'oximeter report' with the 50F's own software SpO2, and then save 'his' night's file for later examination too if he wants.

When you say he may want to use the 50F 'for aviation purposes' - in my experience the 50F is no good at all if one is on the move. It really doesn't seem to like anything more than the gentle arm/hand occasional movement while being asleep - and even then I think it produces quite a lot of artefact spikes on movement.

My 50F software also tells me every day to change the device's name - I've always ignored that comment and suggest you can too!
Post Reply Post Reply
The 50F is not smart enough to recognize different profiles. It just records one session at a time and that session must be uploaded before the next one, or you will lose it. That said, if you want to have multiple users of the oximeter and be able to distinguish the data in SH, I recommend creating multiple profiles in SH instead, and then uploading into the appropriate profile depending on who wore the oximeter for the last session. Also, the 50F has an internal clock that I have found to be pretty accurate, so I rarely have to adjust the time offset in SH when importing. Sometimes there is a couple of minutes of drift after an overnight recording, so I set SH to sync the clock automatically. I occasionally reset the clock on my CPAP machine too.

I echo the above comment about using 50F while doing anything other than sleeping. I tried to use it while running once and it was completely ineffective. I wasn't sure if it was the movement or ambient light interfering with the spectrometer. Either way, though, the data sucked - completely useless.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sounds good, I can live with the weird import method and the rename message. I don't plan to use the oximeter every night, just occasionally for a "second opinion" on the efficacy of my CPAP therapy.

All in all I was pleased with the data it produced. A slightly wiggly but essentially level line throughout the night (within 1 point of 96%) except for two dips (one to 90% and the other to 89%, extremely briefly). Both dips were corroborated by CPAP data - I was having OA events at those times. CPAP didn't quite handle those events, probably because I've got max pressure set to only 12 right now and it was hitting that max. Pulse data was also interesting.

The aviation use would be occasional spot-checks at different altitudes to make sure there wasn't any major desat going on. He'd be able to hold still enough for the few seconds it takes, that movement shouldn't be an issue. Heck, last night I rolled over a few times, so my hand did flail around some, but readings didn't seem to be affected.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-18-2016, 01:46 PM)Possum Wrote: The 50F is not smart enough to recognize different profiles. It just records one session at a time and that session must be uploaded before the next one, or you will lose it. That said, if you want to have multiple users of the oximeter and be able to distinguish the data in SH, I recommend creating multiple profiles in SH instead, and then uploading into the appropriate profile depending on who wore the oximeter for the last session. Also, the 50F has an internal clock that I have found to be pretty accurate, so I rarely have to adjust the time offset in SH when importing. Sometimes there is a couple of minutes of drift after an overnight recording, so I set SH to sync the clock automatically. I occasionally reset the clock on my CPAP machine too.

I echo the above comment about using 50F while doing anything other than sleeping. I tried to use it while running once and it was completely ineffective. I wasn't sure if it was the movement or ambient light interfering with the spectrometer. Either way, though, the data sucked - completely useless.

I have the same model: it is worthless if there is motion involved. Even rolling around in bed will cause it have bad data. As far uploading in SH, I get the same message and ignore it.As you said, the manual is worthless. iT does not have multiple profiles: whoever wears it is what it records. Synchronization of clocks is necessary to get the data to match at given times. It is a pain in the ... but after that, things fall into place pretty well.

Walt
Walter W. Olson, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineering
Professor Emeritus, Professional Engineer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,211 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Is there a pulse oximeter that bluetooths to the Air11? cathyf 2 807 12-19-2023, 01:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.