Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse oximeter Garmin Vivosmart 4
Pulse oximeter Garmin Vivosmart 4
Has anyone used the Garmin Vivosmart 4 as an overnight pulse oximeter? It is an activity device, but apparently has the ability to record pulse ox throughout the night and the data can then be uploaded to a smartphone app. Since it is worn on the wrist, it seems less cumbersome than fingertip pulse oximeters. It is on sale on the Garmin website for $99.99.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse oximeter Garmin Vivosmart 4
The Garmin Vivosmart and the similar Fitbit Charge 3 use new multi-LED sensors to track and calculate both heart rate and oxygen saturation. It remains to be seen how accurate these may be; presumably they have better software than what is freely available from Maxim. The other question will be how easily the data can be retrieved from their respective apps or websites and integrated into SleepyHead, for example.

Since I have a FitBit Charge 2, I would probably go with the Charge 3 if I have a chance to upgrade. I haven't tried to download data from the FitBit site, so I can't comment on that as yet.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse oximeter Garmin Vivosmart 4
(11-22-2018, 11:04 AM)Coffee Man Wrote: Has anyone used the Garmin Vivosmart 4 as an overnight pulse oximeter? It is an activity device, but  apparently has the ability to record pulse ox throughout the night and the data can then be uploaded to a smartphone app. Since it is worn on the wrist, it seems less cumbersome than fingertip pulse oximeters. It is on sale on the Garmin website for $99.99.

I've got one. IMO it's not accurate enough to be useful for sleep apnea health tracking.

The Vivosmart 4's overnight sleep pulse ox recording only records once a minute, and only if you are still. It can't get a reading if you are moving in your sleep or if the band isn't tight enough. The results also depend on the snugness of the wristband, you'll get "higher" pulse ox readings if the band is tighter. And the overnight recording is limited to 4 continuous hours (I assume to save battery power). There is no option to record for a full night.

Because of the low sample rate, it's hard to tell when readings are anomalous (assuming that the device is normally accurate). If I had 60 samples a minute instead of one, and could zoom in on this dip, I'd have a better idea of what this reading meant, if anything, and I'd be able to synch it up with my CPAP data. As it is, I have no way to correlate this dip (if it's real) with my ResMed's flow - time graph, the data just isn't granular enough. Am I suppose to run to my doctor with this vague dip from my fitness tracker?

So, if you want a heart rate tracker and step counter, the Vivosmart 4 is super small and convenient. But if you want a recording pulse oximeter that will give you data that is actually useful, buy something else.

As for the Charge 3, no way to know if it is better or worse because the pulse ox hardware is there but they shipped without the feature. There is supposed to be a firmware update at some point to enable the pulse ox feature.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,488 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 669 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Best Oximeter Device to use w OSCAR Abletree 17 4,058 04-04-2024, 01:37 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,660 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 137 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 184 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 251 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.