Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Second night on cpap no sleep
RE: Second night on cpap no sleep
Hi Kathy, good luck with your third night. When I first started CPAP, I remember keeping the mask on for as many hours as I could stand it and then getting another couple of hours of sleep without it. Eventually I got used to it but it took weeks until I could sleep through the night. Be persistent, it really does get better and will make your life so much more enjoyable! You can do this! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. Last night was indeed better. I got 5.48 hrs with 1.2 events. Like you, I have a couple of hours sleep without it. As time goes on I hope to get better as you did.
Best regard
Kathy
Post Reply Post Reply
I had similar sleep issues when I first started therapy. The problem for me (and it may be for you) was that I was a mouth breather. As soon as I started to nod off and relax my mouth came open and all this air came rushing into my mouth, waking me up. If this is indeed the case for you then there are two things you can do.

1 Learn the tongue suck method where you keep your tongue at the roof of your mouth to prevent air escaping. This can be practised during the day by placing the tip of your tongue just above your top teeth and the back of the tongue to the roof of your mouth. With this sort of practise it didn't take me long to master it.

2 To aid that I bought a soft cervical collar to prevent both my chin drooping towards my chest and to stop my mouth from falling open.

Haven't looked back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the tips. I have experienced this and wasn't sure why all this air every so often was gushing into my mouth! Now I understand and will take your advice.
Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Best regards 
Kathy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 142 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,066 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 439 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 839 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.