Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Seeking machine recommendations
Seeking machine recommendations
Hello:

I currently have a Resmed Escape II. I am happy with the machine, except that it does not accept a data card and I cannot collect information. I am going to buy a new machine and hope some of you may offer some advise. Was looking at the S9 Elite and S9 autoset. Is the difference substantial between them? Also considering an S8 Elite so that I can keep my old Escape at vacation home and interchange the humidifier between the two to save money. Is the S9 worth the extra cost over the S8? Are all of the above remed units (S9 Elite, S9 Autoset, and S8 Elite II) compatible with the Rescan software that this forum has been kind enough to offer access to? Any information or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Any bad experiences with the Resmed products that should point me toward another manufacturer?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Seeking machine recommendations
The main difference between the two (meaning S8 vs S9) is that you can view the data. The S9 uses a regular SD memory card. Of course, the Escape and the Escape Auto only collects compliance data so avoid both. Even if you had a data card for your S8, it only would give you compliance data (hrs used) and nothing else.

The only differences between the Elite and the Autoset is one is a regular CPAP (but collects data) and the other is an autoPAP. They have the same bells and whistles.

If insurance will pay for it, get the Autoset. Then save up to get an Elite without the humidifier at Supplier #2 ( http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List ). You can then use the same humidifier.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S8 Elite II records detailed graphical data for AHI, leaks, and events, but does not record the high-resolution data recorded by the S9, and does not report whether events are obstructive or central. It is compatible with ResScan, but it uses an oddball data card that's only available from supplier no. 10 on the supplier list. It also requires a data card reader that's only available on eBay for $60-$100. You would probably be better off putting this money toward an S9 unless you get a fantastic deal on the S8. My S8 Autoset II is working well for me although it would be nice to have a little more detail in the data.

Carrying the humidifier back and forth will be more trouble than it's worth since supplier no. 2 only charges $50 (for the S8 humidifier) or $70 (for the S9 humidifier).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi thymes1@aol.com and WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Paula said.
I really like my S9Autoset. BTW,in case you are curious, the difference between the S9Autoset and the S9Autoset for her is the color. The "for her" model is a pink
colored machine and the S9Autoset is a brushed silver colored machine.
Best of luck to you on your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 09:23 PM)thymes1@aol.com Wrote: Was looking at the S9 Elite and S9 autoset. Is the difference substantial between them?
S9 Elite ... fixed pressure machine

S9 autoset ... Elite plus auto-pap
auto-pap ... the machine senses how much pressure you need, and adjusts the pressure throughout the night

on price ... the S9 autoset is better value as price difference about $50 and its two machines on one

Phillips Respironcis System One Auto just as good and cheaper than the S9 autoset
you,ll be happy with either machines ... S9 autoset (not escape auto) or PRS1 Auto

Post Reply Post Reply
No Resmed with "Escape" in the name and no Respironics with the word "Plus" in the name.

Which Icon is to be avoided? Anyone remember?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 09:52 PM)big_dave Wrote: The S8 Elite II records detailed graphical data for AHI, leaks, and events, but does not record the high-resolution data recorded by the S9, and does not report whether events are obstructive or central. It is compatible with ResScan, but it uses an oddball data card that's only available from supplier no. 10 on the supplier list. It also requires a data card reader that's only available on eBay for $60-$100. You would probably be better off putting this money toward an S9 unless you get a fantastic deal on the S8. My S8 Autoset II is working well for me although it would be nice to have a little more detail in the data.

Hi everyone,

By the way, Archangle's great recommendations for machine choices can be found in our Wiki, here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

In my view, if buying a new machine it is important to get one that records high rate Flow, which gives you a waveform that shows how much air you are breathing into and out of your lungs, rather than just the pressure waveform. The machines which Zonk mentioned and which Archangle recommends do this.

Being able to see the Flow data is a big deal, because the airflow data is fundamental to seeing whether our Sleep Apnea is being treated as well as possible.

Also, that the newer models score Obstructive apneas and Central apneas (or Clear Airway apneas) can be important for optimizing treatment.

Also, the S9 AutoSet uses an enhanced AutoSet algorithm compared to the one used in the S8 AutoSet or the S8 AutoSet II. I advise you to avoid a new S8, because (even with the extra cost for the expensive S8 datacard reader and special datacards) the data is incomplete.

In my own case, use of an S9 recently has allowed me to document to my doctor and to my insurance company that I have Complex Sleep Apnea and need an ASV (Adaptive Servo Ventilation) model. My old S8 AutoSet II couldn't gather the needed data (the Flow waveform and the Central Apnea Index statistics) to document this, even though my doctor had sold me the special S8 card reader and ResScan software. A couple days ago my overnight ASV titration study was done, and I expect to receive an S9 VPAP Adapt soon.

Even if Central or Complex apnea does not apply to us, in future if we ever need to be on medication for an illness the ability to see the Central Apnea Index and the Flow data could prove to be important in showing whether there are any bad effects the medication may be having on our treatment for Sleep Apnea. (And this is also a reason to get an Auto machine if possible, since so many things can affect what PAP pressure we need.)

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out Devilbiss Intellipap Auto. The apap, humidifier and data card reader can be had for $540 total. Machine comes with a 5 year warranty. I use mine utilizing either SleepyHead or Devilbiss software package.

There seems to be a pro S9 autoset bent on this site. I have no experience with the S9 so I can compare only initial price and warranty coverage. Has anyone actually compared the operation of the two machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your help and information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish there were a side-by-side comparison of the four top autoPAPs and the top four data capable CPAPs. It would really help new users.

Compare noise level, algorithm, what you see on the screen, what data you get, etc etc.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 211 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,377 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.