Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Self Diagnosis and stumbling in the dark
RE: Self Diagnosis and stumbling in the dark
Strawman, glad you dropped in and have asked for help.  I hope you won't mind my stating some facts based on empirical evidence:

a. Neck girths larger than 17" (43 cm) are highly associated with obstructive apnea.  If you have a lot of butter under your skin, this may be a large measure of what ails ye;

b. Physician's office BP over 140 is considered hypertensive (yes, they factor in the white coat syndrome with that number).  You should be 130 or less at home.  The diastolic numbers you cite are pretty decent.  Coupled with your body size currently, you are getting into co-morbidity territory;

c. AFib is also strongly correlated with OSA, but in my case it is the successor to the OSA, and probably for you as well. I put on a lot of weight since being diagnosed and commencing three meds to control the AFib and to reduce both lipids and BP a bit (mine were slowly crossing the borderline and my cardio said it was time to cave).  Have lost 1.5 stone since 21 Jan.

You are in good hands with bonjour who is one of our roaming pit-bulls.  First step, I agree, would be to see what three successive nights using a soft foam cervical collar does for you.  A formal diagnosis makes it easier for you to acquire what you need in order to find relief, and an ASV may have to be it.

Good luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mesenteria I hear ya, and thanks for the reply kinda makes me feel I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bonjour

I have fashioned a form of neck support as per your instructions and will be wearing that tonight. Thanks for looking over my charts its good of you.

On a seperate note I recieved a letter today from the sleep clinic apologising for the delay due to staff shortage and COVID and to whether I still wanted a sleep study. I do not remember going to the docs and explaining about my sleeping it has to be over a year ago. Forgetfulness is part of the sleep problems I guess so that and my own research into sleep apnea I will be able to ensure they look for complex apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tell them that you have been using a ResMed AutoSet and via that you know that you have 'undiagnosed central sleep apnea" (want them to start thinking this) and your numbers are
AHI 20.63
CAI 12.49
OAI 3.49
HI 4.65
and any sleep sleep study need to include a ASV Titration.

FOr your insurance to get involved they need a sleep study. I'd expect a split study, Diagnostic (without CPAP) / Titration (hopefully with ASV)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bonjour so tried the neck support i have an image uploaded forget the first cluster of events just getting used to it after that it worked fine quite comfy unfortunately the readings are awful in fact I am more tired now than before I went to bed.

Cpap at 5 cmH2o trying to induce more OA and reduce CA.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think because it was a roll it impeded on your throat.
Try again, but with a proper soft cervical collar.

I'm certain you need an ASV or a more steady solution based on your history.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi There

I am not holding out much hope at the moment for a full on sleep sudy as I have been on the list for over 2 years they were checking to see I still needed a study. I have uploaded an in home study that was completed last week not sure what it means pretty sure though it will not identify CSA.

I have been using a soft collar arrived yesterday nothing to see in the results of the CPAP yet. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post a standard screenshot from OSCAR please.
Post Reply Post Reply
My conclusion so far is you need an ASV
Post Reply Post Reply
I am back, so my ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV arrived from the States today and have set up the pressures as:

EPAP Min 6.0
EPAP Max 15

PS Min 3.0
PS Max 19

Here's hoping it works out OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 186 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 732 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 253 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,432 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 347 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.