Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] [Settings Review] CPAP for 6+ months but I'm not feeling that restorative sleep
[Settings Review] CPAP for 6+ months but I'm not feeling that restorative sleep
Hi All, 

I'm a newbie to this forum and have been using my Resmed Airsense 10 machine with (airfit p30i Nasal pillows) since about February of this year. While I have seem some minor improvements in my sleep (my partner says I rarely snore anymore) I don't feel that there has been a significant improvement in my sleep. 

Here is my initial diagnosis:
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (G47.33) - Mild based on an pAHI=9.8, pRDI=19.7 and O2 nadir of 87%

I've been googling and making changes to my settings on my own but I wanted to see if there were any recommendations that you may have. 

My current issues are as follows:
  1. I feel stuffy at night and have increased my min pressure setting from 4 - 9. This has helped with any shortness of breath that I was initially feeling when I went to sleep. 
  2. The other night I was feeling extra stuffy so I increased the pressure to 10 but woke up the next morning with what I believe were symptoms of aerophagia. 
  3. I do feel like as the night progresses that I have to work harder to breath. I don't necessarily have shortness of breath but rather I am breathing harder and faster than I think I should be. 
Anyway here is my screenshot for your review. I hope I did this right and thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Settings Review] CPAP for 6+ months but I'm not feeling that restorative sleep
Overall your data looks pretty decent but you could try turning EPR on. EPR at the max of 3 is what people usually find to be the most comfortable.

If the nasal congestion is worse with CPAP then adjusting humidity settings might help. If you feel airways are dry then try bumping humidity up a notch.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Settings Review] CPAP for 6+ months but I'm not feeling that restorative sleep
Thank you I will adjust the EPR and see how it works. I used to have it on but I was reading that having it on is what could lead to breathlessness. 

I don’t know if humidity is the problem. I don’t really wake up feeling dry. In fact i have noticed that sometimes I wake up and pull my mask off to go to the bathroom and I my airways feel wide open and it’s so much easier to breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any thoughts on why it might feel that the air is feeling restrictive through the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is on inhale raise the min pressure

If on exhale raise EPR
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2021, 02:03 PM)CaTMaNiii Wrote: Any thoughts on why it might feel that the air is feeling restrictive through the mask?

Many peole using nasal pillows (airfit p30i Nasal pillows) report that one or two sizes large gives better airflow. If you are using 'smal' try 'medium'... The right size will allow you to breathe freely with just the mask and it's shorty hose.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P30i is a great mask, but it's odd to fit.  I have small nostrils, but I eventually found, through trying the three sizes that the large was by far more comfortable than the small or medium.  It didn't make any sense to me, but my body knew what felt best.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR is the likely reason. Do a test, put mask on, turn machine on and then set EPR to 3. Turn EPR on and off while continuing to use the machine and you will notice the difference EPR makes.

One other thing to be aware of is to regularly change filters. A plugged filter can make a surprising difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 156 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,646 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.