Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] What machine is a step up from VPAP Autoset 25?
RE: What machine is a step up from VPAP Autoset 25?
I don't trust comparisons of AHI between ResMed and Respironics, either. If I have an average AHI of 2.3 with a Respironics machine and 1.3 with a ResMed machine I don't conclude that the ResMed machine is giving me a lower AHI, and vice-versa.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe (hope?) that the difference is in scoring the apneas that are borderline in terms of duration or completeness, in which case it doesn't matter that much.

Yet another reason everyone needs a fully data capable machine and should check the airflow waveforms if needed.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 01:07 AM)archangle Wrote: A number of people have reported that the S8 detects more apneas than the S9. Consensus seems to be that the algorithms are less stringent. Which one is more accurate is up for debate.
Actually the problem is more a discrepancy in the number of hypopneas scored, not apneas. The line for scoring an H is fuzzy to begin with---starting with the AASM Rule 4A vs 4B mess. And it seems as though Resmed drew the line more loosely on the S8 than the S9; hence its easier for the S8 to score an H than it is for the S9.

A lot of folks over at Vendor #1's forum who have used both the S8 and S9 say that the S8's over reported the Hs and some of them believe the S9 may underreport the Hs.

But the over reproted Hs on the S8 would be scored as FL on the S9, and hence the S9 is still going to respond to them. Indeed it may respond more aggressively to them as FL than it would if they were classified as Hs.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2014, 01:32 AM)archangle Wrote: I believe (hope?) that the difference is in scoring the apneas that are borderline in terms of duration or completeness, in which case it doesn't matter that much.

Which is exactly the reason why AHI measurements lack precision.

I make the analogy with measuring humidity. If you've ever done it using a pair of thermometers, one of which is kept in a wet sock, you know this. The difference in the two thermometer readings is used to calculate the humidity. If you change that difference by just a half of a degree the humidity may change by as much as 5%.

If you send someone into a room to measure the temperature and humidity repeatedly you might get report that looks like this:

Temperature 74 °F, humidity 53%.
Temperature 74 °F, humidity 58%.
Temperature 73 °F, humidity 57%.
Temperature 74 °F, humidity 52%.
Temperature 73 °F, humidity 60%.

Someone looks at that data and concludes that the temperature is pretty steady but the humidity fluctuates quite a bit. Why does it change so much?

And the answer is because that's just the way it is!

AHI is more like humidity, where we can't get as reproducible a resultas we can with temperature.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Next step after getting my study results. Soccoia 3 604 11-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 315 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,195 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Got Bipap instead of prescribed ResMed Autoset machine. Please help me get going. marvin2023 2 552 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM
Last Post: marvin2023
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.