Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Setup help
RE: CPAP Setup help
Thanks Ghost.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Appreciate all of the warm welcomes Smile

(12-22-2015, 01:55 PM)sonicboom Wrote: I'm not familiar with your particular machine but if you are having trouble exhaling you should turn up the pressure relief.

Yep I had A-flex set to the highest setting of 3 from the start. Since I couldn't take it anymore at 14.8, the exhalation pressure would have been 11.8.

Not sure whether to tag 2nd night as a failure or not. Woke up several times and felt sure there was a leak/not enough pressure. Or maybe it's cause I'm just starting to get used to cpaps. Some feedback based on attached data would be much appreciated.

[attachment=1996]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your getting used to pressure.
Also Aflex doesnt work the way you are figuring it.

Aflex is flow based. How much pressure relieve you get is based on your exhalation flow.
Aflex will never end an exhalation lower than 2 cm below the running pressure.
Example setting if three will begin exhaltion with a drop of 3 cm if your flow rate calls for it but by the end of that exhalation itll be at 2 or even 1 below, not 3 . Again based on your flow.
And the 1 2 3 setting also affects the timing.

What is likely making you think you dont feel enough pressure is a combination of you getting used to cpap and the tapering off of aflex at the top of inhalation.
Id suggest a Aflex setting of 2 or even 1 so you dont feel like the last of your inhalation is sort of being "snatched away" too soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 02:36 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: Your getting used to pressure.
Also Aflex doesnt work the way you are figuring it.

Thanks for the correction. I think I'll set it to default (2) until the end of a-trial. I'm only complicating things with my tinkering at this point where I'm not even used to it.

Post Reply Post Reply
I never used the Auto Trial mode on my machine.

I would think you could come up with the same 90% pressure number just by looking at Sleepyhead over a period of 30 days, or even on the APAP display itself, where it gives the 90% average pressure for 1, 7, and 30 days.

I think the Auto Trial Mode originally was to be used by Doctors or DME's to determine your pressure range. I say this because Auto Trial can only be accessed through the Providers Menu and an average patient is not smart enough to access that. Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 04:11 PM)OpalRose Wrote: I never used the Auto Trial mode on my machine.

I would think you could come up with the same 90% pressure number just by looking at Sleepyhead over a period of 30 days, or even on the APAP display itself, where it gives the 90% average pressure for 1, 7, and 30 days.

I think the Auto Trial Mode originally was to be used by Doctors or DME's to determine your pressure range. I say this because Auto Trial can only be accessed through the Providers Menu and an average patient is not smart enough to access that. Oh-jeez
Ah but if one does know how to access it using it does away with averaging all those days data. Lol
Plus if one lwts cpap ck mode engage as irs meant to for about two weeks you wind up with a very accurate single pressure titrated over time instead of one night.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 02:23 AM)big_dave Wrote: It looks like your machine is chasing leaks. The pressure only increases and never decreases. The machine increases the pressure to try to compensate for a leak, and then the increased pressure makes the leak worse.

Actually, the machine does not chase leaks. It chases breathing restrictions.

As long as the machine continues to sense restriction in our breathing, the machine will continue to raise the pressure, either until the restriction in our airway is counteracted or until we wake up.

The machine does not raise the pressure in response to leaks, it raises the airflow to compensate for the air which is leaking, in order to maintain the pressure unchanged.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Vaughn,

I think that some on the board have thought that I was picking on them when telling them that the machine does not raise pressure in response to leaks or maybe they just thought that I had been smoking wacky weed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 79 Yesterday, 08:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,674 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,938 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,196 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 791 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane mitzvahtime 2 1,366 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mitzvahtime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.