Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Should I replace older CPAP
Should I replace older CPAP
I have a Phillips Respironics, REMstar Auto A-Flex.  I would guess is at least 5 years old.  I have read researching this question before posting, identifying the exact model I have is like bird watching.  I thought that was a good analogy. The REF -560P is on the plate but I see no model #. 
   Have there been significant improvements in the Phillips Respironics line of CPAP's?
   Does the sleepyhead software work with my current model?
The cost is out of my pocket so the advice I receive here will help me greatly with how I proceed.
Thank you so very much for this forum
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I replace older CPAP
I don't believe that Sleepyhead works with Remstar, which is probably at least 7 years old. If cost is an issue, do you seem to have any problems? I use a Remstar Auto M CPAP and a Phillips System One BiPAP Auto. The Phillips is my Rx and the Remstar was gifted to me. I sleep in two places so it's handy. I don't notice any difference between the two.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 03:42 PM)Latson Wrote: I have a Phillips Respironics, REMstar Auto A-Flex.  I would guess is at least 5 years old.  I have read researching this question before posting, identifying the exact model I have is like bird watching.  I thought that was a good analogy. The REF -560P is on the plate but I see no model #. 
   Have there been significant improvements in the Phillips Respironics line of CPAP's?
   Does the sleepyhead software work with my current model?
The cost is out of my pocket so the advice I receive here will help me greatly with how I proceed.
Thank you so very much for this forum

I use the same machine and it works very well with #SleepyHead software.  Mine is going on 3 years old.

This model has been replaced with the newer DreamStation Auto.  Other than a  more appealing design, I don't believe the algorithm is different in respect to how it operates.

If you decide on a new machine, you can always keep your current as a backup.

Here is a link to show you what's currently out there, and what to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Better than how old it is why not find out the blower hrs. I think someone
posted here they have about a 5% failure rate at 15,000 hrs but after that
the failure rate rises.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is usually referred to as the Philips Respironics System One 60 series Auto, or PRS1 Auto for short. It is a very capable machine that has been replaced by the Dreamstation DX500T11 Auto. Upgrades in the new machine are mostly in things like Smartstart, Smartramp and cosmetics. It behaves and "feels" the same with AFlex and CFlex. I consider the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset an upgrade because of the EPR (exhale pressure relief), which unlike AFlex is more like a BiPAP that provides up to 3 cm pressure difference between inhale and exhale.

If your machine is working well, the biggest advantage of replacement will be to have your old machine serve as a backup in case of a malfunction or damage of the new machine. Since you're paying out of pocket, this may not be very appealing. Your machine has a reliable lifetime of 15000 to 20000 hours, and sometimes more, but as you get into that area, you will want to think about replacement so you don't end up having to rush and order.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Latson,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and also with your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to consider getting the same machine used on Craigslist. That gives you a backup for when your machine goes blitz. Take your time looking, but there have been some good deals here locally. If you do buy used, you'll want to know the run hours. On the Respironics machines, it's called Blower Hours.

To access it on the 560 series, hold down that big button and the little button that has a funny triangle next to it for about 10 seconds. Then once you are in the clinical mode, use the big button to scroll to INFORMATION. From there, you can scroll to BLOWER HOURS. Press big button and you get the blower hours. This number cannot be changed, so you will know how much time the machine has been used. Then, go BACK, and EXIT. It will take a minute or so to write to the card and then go back to wherever you started.

Finally, don't buy a machine from a smoker. You have to take the sucker apart and remove and replace the insulation to remove that odor.

I'm sure if I missed something, someone will pipe in here. Good luck! It pays to have a second machine, and for some, a third.
Post Reply Post Reply
All I can say is wow. thank you everyone for such great information.  Exactly the feed back I needed. What a great forum!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 581 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 789 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,072 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Need to Replace SD Card SingingWolf 6 805 04-17-2023, 04:36 PM
Last Post: SingingWolf
  Replace mask hose etc: Uzupan 7 819 03-17-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.