Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often will insurance replace machine?
RE: How often will insurance replace machine?
I was on my first machine for a year when my doctor requested second sleep series (We were going to go from a nasal to full face mask.) As a result of the second study, I got a new machine. I think part of it was the company that supported the first machine filed for liquidation. So, my original machine is sitting in it's case in the closet. Insurance company hasn't asked for it, nor am I going to tell them. My current company sends me a resupply reminder every three months and I get a new mask and suspension system, hose, and filters. I get a replacement tank every 6 months. I keep the most recent set of "old" equipment as spares and then get rid of them when the new one comes in.

Paul
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often will insurance replace machine?
(04-20-2013, 10:06 AM)johns019 Wrote: Thank you!
I started thinking if 8 hrs / night x 365 day about 2900 hrs / year - how long is it good for?
5 years sounds like a pretty good life expectancy for my machine.
Who knows what will have happened with insurance by then Wink

My original machine was a Resmed S8 Elite - had used it about a year (IIRC) when it got replaced in a recall about 6-7 years ago. Earlier this year the replacement machine started making a slight noise in the blower on morning cool-down. Used every night (except for four nights when I went to Vegas and forgot to take it) - it had almost 17,000 hours on it. Wow. Incredible longevity for a machine whose maintenance consisted entirely of occasional filter replacements.

Not dead, but when it started making new and unusual noises, I worried about bearings/parts failing, leaving me with no replacement. Did a new sleep study and private insurance didn't blink at the recommendation for a new APAP. When the DME folks called telling me they had gotten the insurance referral, I told them I wanted the S9 AutoSet. They said "Cool. No problema."

Wonderful machine. Was keeping the S8 as a backup and maybe travel machine. Thinking more and more about it, and reading here about used machines, started watching CL to see what I could see. Lots of folks offering overpriced machines at near new prices ("But it's $2,500 retail. $1,000 is a STEAL!!!!" Yeah......) Many more reasonable but still more than I was willing to part with for a backup. Talked to a couple of folks and then BAM! a couple weeks ago a DeVillbiss Intellipap AutoAdjust w/HH popped up. 12.2 total hourmeter time. Non-smoking. Less than $140! Score!

Great backup and travel machine. May swap out/rotate to extend the useful life of both. Small wad of dollars to acquire.

So, yeah. Probably five year on insurance replacement, but the peace of mind that comes with a backup combined with the convenience of a dedicated travel machine in a bag with everything ready to head out the door was worth it.

OMyMyOHellYes.

PS - Why is there no smiley with a CPAP mask? Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,515 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,069 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.